Driving licence exchange from U.S to Canada to Ireland

Started by FL/MAYO, January 10, 2017, 02:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL/MAYO

I am trying to circumvent going through the whole driving licence process in Ireland when I return next year. Its not possible to exchange a U.S drivers licence for an Irish licence but certain Canadian provinces have exchange agreements between both Ireland and the U.S. I called the Ontario D.L issuing office to see what I would need to get an Ontario licence, they never mentioned that I had to prove I was a resident of Ontario. I am wondering does anyone know of anyone that has tried to do this or if its even possible?

J70

FL/MAYO

Quote from: J70 on January 10, 2017, 03:58:16 PM
Moving home?

Yes, moving back summer of 2018, we have been planning this for years so hopefully it will be the right move.
In regard to the driving licence exchange, I was hoping I could spend a few days in Ontario and exchange licences.

The Iceman

a theory test and a driving test would be handier surely than flying up to Ontario? Whats the point of going through all that hassle lad?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

FL/MAYO

Quote from: The Iceman on January 10, 2017, 06:22:12 PM
a theory test and a driving test would be handier surely than flying up to Ontario? Whats the point of going through all that hassle lad?

Holders of driving licences from other countries
If you are not from any of the above countries, (for example, if you are from the United States), and you hold a national driving licence and an international driving permit from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit (up to 12 months).

If your stay in Ireland will be more than 12 months you can apply for an Irish driving licence but you will need to go through the full driver licensing procedure. You must first complete a driver theory test, apply for a learner driving permit and complete your driving test in Ireland. If you pass your driving test, you will be issued with an Irish driving licence.

Stopping off in Toronto for a few days would be a lot easier if feasible.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

tyssam5

Quote from: FL/MAYO on January 10, 2017, 06:49:38 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 10, 2017, 06:22:12 PM

Holders of driving licences from other countries
If you are not from any of the above countries, (for example, if you are from the United States), and you hold a national driving licence and an international driving permit from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit (up to 12 months).

If your stay in Ireland will be more than 12 months you can apply for an Irish driving licence but you will need to go through the full driver licensing procedure. You must first complete a driver theory test, apply for a learner driving permit and complete your driving test in Ireland. If you pass your driving test, you will be issued with an Irish driving licence.

Stopping off in Toronto for a few days would be a lot easier if feasible.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

Just keep driving on the US license, you'll never get a speeding ticket.