Official Gooners Thread - A New Hope

Started by Dinny Breen, November 10, 2006, 09:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoopsaaa

Anyone know where the game can be viewed on the net?

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ildanach

any other link. that one wont open ??
can get tvu screen but nothing opens on it the right hand side

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ildanach

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ildanach

unfortunately no lunch break. will have to make do with today fm

ONeill

ONeill

Arsenal v Manchester United: dangerous chance for ManU from Giggs
http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=1502232

Arsenal v Manchester United: nice shot by Giggs but goes wide
http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=1502244

Arsenal v Manchester United: dangerous chance for Arsenal by Gallas but Van Der Sar saves
http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=1502273

Arsenal v Manchester United: first goal for Manchester by Ronney
http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=1502292

Arsenal v Manchester United: 1st goal for Arsenal by Fabregas
http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=1502317

Arsenal v Manchester United: 2nd goal for Manchester by Ronaldo
http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=1502399

Arsenal v Manchester United: 2nd goal for Arsenal by Gallas
http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=1502425

Although happy at the minute, this was a big chance to put a wee bit of daylight between the sides. Utd could see this as a valuable point in a few week's time.

I hope AW goes back to 4-4-2 next week. Although 2 points from Liverpool away and Utd home isn't bad, Arsenal are good enough to take all 6. The Adebayor sole-role doesn't maximise their game. Decent performances from most players although Rosicky looks off-form.

Dinny Breen

Shock! Horror! Man Ure come and play their usually negaitive tactics at Arsenal. Again plenty of possession but playing Adebayor up front on his own means the Goons won't create that many clear cut chances. But as I said a couple of weeks ago I'll take two draws and I'll settle for that as the Goons had to come from beind in both games.

Agree with O'Neill about Rosicky, doesn't look fit and I think he's form is sufferiing because of it. A decent result tomorrow will mean Wenger can rest players for last 2 champions league group games, a lot of games coming up so fresh bodies will be needed..
#newbridgeornowhere

ildanach

Don't think we can rest too many players now as if we dont get a draw in seville we wont top the group and will then have a harder draw in the next round. Thought we lacked creativity in midfield and i dont think bentner is all that he is making himself out to be- "i'm leaving if i dont get more games!!"

ONeill

Reading manager Steve Coppell:
"In my mind I have probably got about three different ways of playing against Arsenal - or trying to.

hitzelsperger

Arsenal 3
Reading 1

Arsenal overcame Reading's resistance with a stylish win that sends them top of the table on goal difference.

Emmanuel Adebayor hit the post early on but the Gunners were frustrated until Alexander Hleb set up Mathieu Flamini to slot home just before half-time.

Adebayor's fine finish made it 2-0 with Arsenal's 1,000th Premier League goal and Hleb's solo strike added a third.

Nicky Shorey, who hit the woodwork with a late free-kick, managed a consolation for Reading with a close-range finish.

It was a thoroughly convincing win for Arsene Wenger's side, although Reading's approach was more than slightly perplexing.

The home side defended in numbers from the start and, with Kevin Doyle completely isolated up front, the early part of the game saw wave after wave of attacks by the Gunners.

If Adebayor's shot had rolled in, and not against the post, then the Royals would have been forced to come out and attack.

Instead, Steve Coppell's side dug in and set out to frustrate the visitors.

Their ultra-defensive approach meant Arsenal keeper Manuel Almunia had little to do, apart from push away Brynjar Gunnarsson's 30-yard shot.

But they kept the game goalless until the 44th minute when Flamini rounded off a neat move by guiding Hleb's low cross into the net despite the best efforts of Stephen Hunt on the line.

The Gunners carried on where they left off after the break and Adebayor got on the scoresheet himself when he fired past Hahnemann and into the bottom corner.

The Togo star thought he had made it 3-0 soon afterwards but his strike, following a slick passing move, was wrongly ruled out for offside.

There was no stopping Arsenal by now though and they did not have to wait long for a legitimate third goal, Hleb breaking into the area before rounding the keeper and firing cheekily home.

Reading's players were out on their feet and, with Arsenal still utterly dominant, a reply looked unlikely.

But Coppell's side did pull a goal back after finally producing a spell of pressure in the closing minutes.

The Royals had already gone close when Shorey's free-kick hit the bottom of Almunia's post and the England left-back was on hand to slot home when Stephen Hunt's header came back off the woodwork with three minutes left.

ildanach

from arsenal.com

Arsenal will be without six first-team players for their return to Premier League against Wigan on Saturday.

The leaders are likely to have five midfielders unavailable - Alex Hleb (hamstring), Mathieu Flamini (thigh), Cesc Fabregas (suspended), Abou Diaby (back) and Gilberto (fatigue). Philippe Senderos is back but Robin van Persie's long-standing knee problem has not healed sufficiently for him to return.

The Dutchman last played for Arsenal against Sunderland on October 7. He picked up his injury during the  international break that followed that game. It appears the most recent one has cost Arsenal a couple more players this time.

"Hleb came back with a hamstring injury," Wenger told Arsenal.com on Thursday afternoon. "So once again we lose someone during this [international] period. I think he'll be out for 21 days. Flamini came back with a little thigh problem too. That will be one week maximum.

"Senderos is available but Cesc is suspended. Diaby has a back problem from the Slavia Prague game and he'll be out for three weeks. Robin van Persie is not back and he will not be back for Sevilla either. Gilberto will return very, very late. In fact he only comes back on Friday. So, as for the rest of the squad, we'll see."

For the best build up to the Wigan game, please check Arsenal.com on Friday morning.

Team i would like to see this week, Almunia,
                                         Eboue,Toure, Gallas, Clichy,
                                     walcot, diarra, denilson, rosicky,
                                           Bentner  Adebayor
Bentner has to start getting goals though or i would sell him off. He got 2 international goals this week so confidence shouldn't be a problem.

ONeill

Wenger seems to prefer Sagna in defence with Eboue on the right of midfield. I can see Walcott losing out again. I can also see Adebayor and Eduardo up front. The Croat showed enough v England that he can become a decent provider. Bentner and Adebayor too similar?

Will miss Hleb and Cesc greatly in terms of converting from late runs but hopefully there's enough there to dispose of Wigan.

ildanach

Quote from: ONeill on November 23, 2007, 02:53:59 PM
Wenger seems to prefer Sagna in defence with Eboue on the right of midfield. I can see Walcott losing out again. I can also see Adebayor and Eduardo up front. The Croat showed enough v England that he can become a decent provider. Bentner and Adebayor too similar?

Will miss Hleb and Cesc greatly in terms of converting from late runs but hopefully there's enough there to dispose of Wigan.

I prefer sagna too. But in a game like this i would let eboue play as he is our cover here. Similarly with the two "big" men up front, against a team like wigan i think decent balls into the box will yield goals and it would be a shame to drop bentner when his confidence is high

ONeill

Well you were right about Bentner. His introduction changed the game. Involved in both goals, his intelligence on the ball was impressive and is pushing now for a start. With RVP on the mend though, I can see him moving on as it's RVP, Adebayor with him and Eduardo as impact subs. Good to see Rosicky finding some semblance of form. Walcott actually did ok and I'd probably prefer him to Eboue though Eboue has that defensive know-how that's useful with such an attacking midfield. Walcott's injury looked worrying though. Great win considering results elsewhere. I still feel Liverpool are going to be thereabouts. They're also unbeaten.

Now comes the real test. Four consecutive away games.

Sevilla v Arsenal - I think Arsenal will lose this one, their first defeat in yonks.
Aston Villa v Arsenal - Villa are flying. I'd take a draw.
Newcastle v Arsenal - Allardyce always poses a problem but 3 points hopefully
Middlesbrough v Arsenal - expecting 3 points.