GAA Suspensions and Match bans

Started by manfromdelmonte, April 17, 2015, 09:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

What is the rule in regard to a club player being sent off in the final championship game of 2014?
Does a suspension carry through to the 2015 Championship?
Thanks in advance

BennyHarp

Yes, that's the case!

Penalty:
(i) Minimum - A One Match Suspension in the same Code and at the same Level, applicable to the next game in the same Competition, even if that game occurs in the following year's competition.
That was never a square ball!!

manfromdelmonte

So if a club was promoted or relegated to a different grade then the suspension wouldn't stand?

BennyHarp

I'm not 100% sure to be honest but this is from the rule book.

For the purpose of interpretation of Suspensions and in Rule generally:

(1) "Level"shall mean the representative level at which the Suspension concerned was incurred e.g. Inter-Provincial, Inter-County, Club, Third- Level, Schools etc. Where a Team of one Level is playing a Game or Competition at another Level, e.g. Third-Level College v. County, a Level-specific Suspension incurred by a Player shall apply at the Level of the Team he was playing with on the occasion of the Infraction.

Next Game in Competition
(c) A walk-over shall not constitute the next game in a competition.
A game or competition, the sole purpose of which is to determine qualification or relegation in respect of a following year's Championship or League, shall not be deemed to be the 'same Competition' as that of the current year's Championship or League, as applicable, and shall not entail a 'next game suspension' arising from a current Championship or League game.

See if you can find a more appropriate explanation here! http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/Official%20Guide%202014%20Part%20I%281%29.pdf
That was never a square ball!!