FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Quote from: Itchy on November 19, 2019, 06:34:39 PM
Quote from: michaelg on November 19, 2019, 05:11:25 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 19, 2019, 02:12:16 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 19, 2019, 10:09:53 AM
I thought the performance has been over blown, Denmark were pathetic and still managed to get a draw whilst Ireland struggled to create goods chances which is hardly a surprise when he picked McClean, Browne & Hendrick as the 3 closed players to McGoldrick who I thought played his role very well.

McClean tries but it looks like he has ne legs under him at all. Don't see anything in Browne at all and Hendrick hasn't developed into any type of player at all after threatening early in his career to be something. McGoldrick played well last night but a striker has to score goals and unfortuantely he's poor at that. Perhaps the performance has been overblown but relative to the last few games it was a huge improvement. Thought the two full backs were superb. Tough to see Coleman getting back into the team.
The right back was lauded for his overall performance despite basically giving away a goal.  Defenders need to keep a clean sheet first and foremost.  His and Duffy's combined c**k-up meant the game was basically over given your limitations going forward.

We'll still beat the north.

Bar the conceded goal, Doherty was brilliant.

On paper you'd think. But in an away game in Windsor Park, would be 50/50 at best. Also questionable whether we would beat Slovakia away, to make it to the playoff match. They are capable of good result, even beat Denmark 3-0 a year ago.

dublin7

Its easy and almost a sport for people in this country to mock the Irish soccer/rugby teams and players. One thing you can't do is question the Irish soccer team's commitment. They played well last night and despite what a few others are saying Denmark were clearly rattled and hanging on for full time.

Unfortunately though for all their effort and commitment there is an obvious lack of talent and cutting edge up front so scoring goals is major problem. 7 goals over 8 games (in a group with gibraltar) tells a story.

Hopefully players like Connolly and Parrot can come good, but its placing alot of pressure on a young lad like Parrot when media/fans are calling for him to be picked when he isn't even established in the Spurs side yet.

seafoid

Quote from: dublin7 on November 19, 2019, 08:47:09 PM
Its easy and almost a sport for people in this country to mock the Irish soccer/rugby teams and players. One thing you can't do is question the Irish soccer team's commitment. They played well last night and despite what a few others are saying Denmark were clearly rattled and hanging on for full time.

Unfortunately though for all their effort and commitment there is an obvious lack of talent and cutting edge up front so scoring goals is major problem. 7 goals over 8 games (in a group with gibraltar) tells a story.

Hopefully players like Connolly and Parrot can come good, but its placing alot of pressure on a young lad like Parrot when media/fans are calling for him to be picked when he isn't even established in the Spurs side yet.
Some cohorts are better/worse than others. The current crop work hard but their accuracy is poor. That is just a fact.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

dec

Quote from: weareros on November 19, 2019, 07:58:54 PM
But in an away game in Windsor Park, would be 50/50 at best.

RoI are ranked above NI in any table I have seen, would that not mean a home game.

shark

Quote from: dec on November 19, 2019, 09:11:47 PM

RoI are ranked above NI in any table I have seen, would that not mean a home game.

Draw on Friday will dictate venue for the "final", I think. Wales doing the business so it's a trip to Bratislava for Ireland.

galwayman

I believe home advantage for the final is an open draw between the two semi final winners.

michaelg

Quote from: galwayman on November 19, 2019, 09:23:29 PM

I believe home advantage for the final is an open draw between the two semi final winners.
Quite a departure by UEFA. They normally favour the higher ranked teams at all costs.

shark

rodney trotter

Playing great stuff in second half. Parrott with the 3rd.

dec

Quote from: shark on November 19, 2019, 09:19:51 PM

Draw on Friday will dictate venue for the "final", I think. Wales doing the business so it's a trip to Bratislava for Ireland.

Seems you are right

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/54/36/05/2543605_DOWNLOAD.pdf

17.04 For each play-off final, a draw is conducted in advance to determine which semifinal winner will play at home.

shark

Quote from: dec on November 19, 2019, 09:41:24 PM
Quote from: shark on November 19, 2019, 09:19:51 PM

Seems you are right

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/54/36/05/2543605_DOWNLOAD.pdf

17.04 For each play-off final, a draw is conducted in advance to determine which semifinal winner will play at home.

I presume they'll warm up the Ireland, Scotland and Romania balls to ensure home finals, should they make it. They've made no secret of their preference for host nations to qualify.

MayoBuck

Adam Idah looks a serious player, loads of pace and power.

laoislad

Quote from: MayoBuck on November 19, 2019, 09:48:50 PM
Adam Idah looks a serious player, loads of pace and power.
Aye he looks like a good prospect. To be fair there are a few in that team that could have big futures. Great second half display.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Ball Hopper

Main Street

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 19, 2019, 01:09:48 PM
Quote from: LilySavage on November 18, 2019, 10:28:27 PM
Brady was shite the other night and not plsying near standard of lads out there tinight. Byrne plays agsinst amateurs every other week. Cullen never played a competitive international. Robinson gets his game. I dunno what you see on the bench thst will make many improvements to how well Ireland played today. Best performance in years.

The style of play. You say Byrne 'plays against amateurs'. Whelan is in Scotland ffs.

A relatively small bit of tinkering and we can play possession football at more pace.
I'd agree, the team have much going for them and have come a long way from Trap's rigid rearguard and the Mon/Keano sabotaged chaos.
McCarthy did well with no time for messsing about. Michael O'Neill used 2 years in the doldrums before coming good.
Midfield is the area for the tinkering when possession is the issue and the team needs someone to play the Jack Byrne role. The midfield are still hiding away when the opposition press the back 4, what follows is the inevitable pass back to Randolph. Whelan impressed and he was alone in the DM role, he could do with a player like McCarthy alongside when the play offs happen.
Jack Byne is on an upward path and there are three or four class players from the u21s who are next to ready to join the senior squad.