The Late Late show

Started by T O Hare, January 30, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Seany on September 02, 2017, 02:31:26 PM
Why would anyone be surprised?

A few years ago, the LLS did a GAA 125 Special. A complete car crash of a programme which underlined totally how Dublin fouresque the whole operation is. They brought on Brush Shields as some sort of GAA hero and him singing Fields of Athenry, a Rugby song and then he proceded to tell Plank Kelly that he hadn't been at a GAA match in five years, but sure he looked like a bogman, so he ticked the GAA box.  Kenny then goaded Dara O Se with a picture of Tyrone winning the All ireland. Why and how Dara didnt bust him there and then is anyone's guess. They finished off with that red haired singer Tommy Fleming singing that awful Croke Park departure dirge ...'And May we Never Have to Say Goodbye'.  If anyone was doing a dissertation on how far removed the RTE management is from the ordinary plain people of Ireland, that programme is a perfect case study for them. And remember - our national broadcaster and our national game on a significant anniversary in a tribute programme. In a normal society, they should have been able to do it with their eyes closed, but this is RTE and that map is the epitome of the attitude that exists there.

Someone should tell Galway supporters that..

::)

BennyCake

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 02, 2017, 12:18:38 PM
I wonder which brain box on the Late Late came up with this last night.

What was that all about?

Was it a map of the effect of global warming on Ireland in 50 years time?

east down gael

I wouldn't be one to buy into the rte anti Ulster bias conspiracy theories,don't really care if they try to promote rugby as the sport everyone in ireland actually loves when it is barely played by the vast majority of us,and definitely am not over sensitive.i wouldn't even go as far as saying that crazy map offended me,but I would wonder to myself why the national broadcaster would use that map.maybe it was just an oversight.i'd genuinely hope so.

armaghniac

How on earth could it be an oversight? It is the most obvious thing imaginable. An oversight insult might be using a map with the birder marked on it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ball Hopper

What was the map supposed to illustrate?

T Fearon

How many times have I tried to tell you all that the South now ideologically as well as practically,does not see the North as a part of their "Ireland" nor does any substantial portion of its population desire,much less try to bring about,reunification.

This is but another mere symptom.

haveaharp

Quote from: T Fearon on September 04, 2017, 07:24:30 AM
How many times have I tried to tell you all that the South now ideologically as well as practically,does not see the North as a part of their "Ireland" nor does any substantial portion of its population desire,much less try to bring about,reunification.

This is but another mere symptom.

RTE does not speak for the people.

MoChara

There excuse was its the results of a poll and only people in the south were polled. Frank Mitchel wasn't having any of it

https://twitter.com/frank_broadcast/status/903933289202950144

T Fearon

I don't see or hear any significant protest from the people in the South.When will misguided Northern Nationalists and Unionists finally concede that they are not wanted or really cared about in Dublin or London? How many times has each to be shafted and humiliated before the penny/cent finally drops?

Hardy

This is an outrage and I sympathise deeply with the widespread anguish and woe. If the results of a survey of life expectancy in Meath were presented in the form of a map of the area in which the survey was conducted (i.e. Meath) I can hardly imagine the dimensions of the injury, insult and affront it would represent. I would be forced to take drastic action. Fire and fury like the world has never seen. I might even go all the way and phone Joe Duffy.

No maps of Meath that don't show its place in Leinster. Ireland. Europe, feckit.

Shamrock Shore

Hey - I welcome the new coastal counties of Cavan and Leitrim - means property prices in Longford could benefit.

As we'd say in Longford - ye've little to be worrying about.

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on September 04, 2017, 09:33:35 AM
This is an outrage and I sympathise deeply with the widespread anguish and woe. If the results of a survey of life expectancy in Meath were presented in the form of a map of the area in which the survey was conducted (i.e. Meath) I can hardly imagine the dimensions of the injury, insult and affront it would represent. I would be forced to take drastic action. Fire and fury like the world has never seen. I might even go all the way and phone Joe Duffy.

No maps of Meath that don't show its place in Leinster. Ireland. Europe, feckit.

And there you go again, belittling the feelings of the northern Irish and making a joke of our nationalism. That's the attitude that is feeding Tony Fearon's separatist view.

We all know that the survey covered the 26 counties, but that is no excuse for cutting out the 6 counties. Unless of course, the person responsible had never heard of the Easter Rising nor the Troubles.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AZOffaly

I agree with the lads from north of the wall here. There's no rationale for RTE cutting the 6 counties out of the picture, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was done deliberately. All they had to do, if they wanted to show just the area polled, was to include the six counties with a greyed out background or something to show it wasn't included in the numbers.

RTE are, without doubt, c***ts.

Fat Angry Motorist

I mind RTE wetting their pants when Rory McIlroy said he was British.
Give cyclists plenty of room.  It's the rules I tells ya!

sid waddell

The reaction to this is all rather comical.

I look forward to maps of Europe in which the six northeastern counties of this island as well our neighbouring island do not exist from March 2019 on.