Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on September 11, 2019, 04:26:31 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on September 11, 2019, 03:21:13 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 11, 2019, 01:12:51 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on September 10, 2019, 04:37:09 PM

You again want to limit it to the games development money. I've told you numerous times now, the games development money has played a key role in all of this but it's only one part in the doping of Dublin. The money was freed up elsewhere and Dublin have spent it on many other areas including senior team preparation and everything this involves. This was enough to improve from losing to Westmeath and Laois to beating teams of that standard at the start. They were still getting bad beatings off teams outside Leinster but they slowly were closing the gap. It took a huge influx of players that came through the multi million euro system to push them to All Ireland contenders. This is not the first time I've had to clear things up for you and more than likely it won't be the last.

So before the games development funding Laois and Westmeath were beating Dublin?

What's the figures, Laois beat us twice in championship in about 40 years, Westmeath once? That's awesome analysis. I'm really glad you cleared that up. Now, there's probably not many that listen to you anyway, but you've removed all doubt about your gombeenism.

2004 - Westmeath beat Dublin
2003 - Laois beat Dublin

You have it now alright. That was a great win by Laois in 2003.
Their first Leinster since 1946. The money must have started coming in from 1947, eh?  Those dastardly Dubs.

Up until lately Dublin would average 4 to 5 Leinster titles a decade. That was the norm. The collective rest would come good every now and again a grab what was left over (naturally). The collective rest don't do this anymore. If you think that winning 14 of the last 15 titles can not be attributed to money, then what is the reason for the change? Why have Dublin become more dominant?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 11, 2019, 04:43:13 PM

You again want to limit it to the games development money. I've told you numerous times now, the games development money has played a key role in all of this but it's only one part in the doping of Dublin. The money was freed up elsewhere and Dublin have spent it on many other areas including senior team preparation and everything this involves. This was enough to improve from losing to Westmeath and Laois to beating teams of that standard at the start. They were still getting bad beatings off teams outside Leinster but they slowly were closing the gap. It took a huge influx of players that came through the multi million euro system to push them to All Ireland contenders. This is not the first time I've had to clear things up for you and more than likely it won't be the last.

So before the games development funding Laois and Westmeath were beating Dublin?

What's the figures, Laois beat us twice in championship in about 40 years, Westmeath once? That's awesome analysis. I'm really glad you cleared that up. Now, there's probably not many that listen to you anyway, but you've removed all doubt about your gombeenism.

2003 - Laois beat Dublin

Their first Leinster since 1946. The money must have started coming in from 1947, eh?  Those dastardly Dubs.

Up until lately Dublin would average 4 to 5 Leinster titles a decade. That was the norm. The collective rest would come good every now and again a grab what was left over (naturally). The collective rest don't do this anymore. If you think that winning 14 of the last 15 titles can not be attributed to money, then what is the reason for the change? Why have Dublin become more dominant?

From Wikipedia:

The most successful team of each decade, judged by number of Leinster Senior Football Championship titles, is as follows:

1880s: 1 each for Kilkenny (1888) and Laois (1889)
1890s: 7 for Dublin (1891-92-94-96-97-98-99)
1900s: 6 for Dublin (1901-02-04-06-07-08)
1910s: 6 for Wexford (1913–14-15-16-17-18)
1920s: 5 for Dublin (1920-21-22-23-24)
1930s: 3 each for Kildare (1930-31-35), Dublin (1932-33-34) and Laois (1936-37-38)
1940s: 3 for Meath (1940-47-49)
1950s: 3 each for Louth (1950-53-57), Meath (1951-52-54) and Dublin (1955-58-59)
1960s: 3 each for Offaly (1960-61-69), Dublin (1962-63-65) and Meath (1964-66-67)
1970s: 6 for Dublin (1974-75-76-77-78-79)
1980s: 4 for Dublin (1983-84-85-89)
1990s: 4 each for Meath (1990-91-96-99) and Dublin (1992-93-94-95)
2000s: 6 for Dublin (2002-05-06-07-08-09)
2010s: 9 for Dublin (2011-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19)

Pretty stark that.

priceyreilly

2003 - Laois beat Dublin

One of the most pathetic, weak, sorry excuses for an argument I've ever seen. You are a joke.  ;D

priceyreilly

Lads, the game had moved on from the dark days of the 70's. Back then it was 2 teams competing for All Ireland's. Standards started increasing across the country. The late 80's, 90's and early 00's saw Ulster counties making breakthroughs, Connacht counties became competitive at All Ireland level, I've already shown that Leinster counties were improving, same in Munster. In fact, since 1990, 21 different counties won provincial titles and 10 different counties won All Ireland's. It wasn't perfect but Gaelic Football was in good order. The inter county championships were open and vibrant.

Everybody should have been happy with this? You'd think so but Dublin were not. 1 All Ireland since 1983 wasn't good enough for them. They didn't like seeing other counties winning Leinster titles. So what did they do? They looked for answers and their findings stated that getting professional coaches involved was the only way forward. They went begging to their man in the Department of Finance. The amounts Bertie granted them and so forth have been well publicised but just think about how sneaky, underhand and corrupt this move was.

Dublin had won an All Ireland in 1995, they won 4 Leinster titles in the 90's and 4 in the 80's. Most counties could only dream of this but since Dublin hadn't won Leinster since 1995, they felt they needed to do something in the late 90's. They were seeing other counties push ahead, they hated Meath for example, they hated seeing Kildare compete at the top. They were seeing themselves slip into the pack. They'd have done anything to change this and competing fairly went out the window. The money has changed the course of history.

Dublin have now destroyed the Leinster championship, it's completely dead. They're doing the same to the All Ireland championship. It's not just men's football either. Women's football, underage football and hurling, senior hurling and club football and hurling have seen dramatic and unprecedented change with Dublin teams improving beyond recognition. It really is a shameful period for our games and it should be investigated fully.

BennyCake

Pricey, your face will end up on a 'Missing' poster if you're not careful :D

Hound

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 11, 2019, 05:10:17 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 11, 2019, 04:43:13 PM

2003 - Laois beat Dublin

From Wikipedia:

The most successful team of each decade, judged by number of Leinster Senior Football Championship titles, is as follows:

1880s: 1 each for Kilkenny (1888) and Laois (1889)
1890s: 7 for Dublin (1891-92-94-96-97-98-99)
1900s: 6 for Dublin (1901-02-04-06-07-08)
1910s: 6 for Wexford (1913–14-15-16-17-18)
1920s: 5 for Dublin (1920-21-22-23-24)
1930s: 3 each for Kildare (1930-31-35), Dublin (1932-33-34) and Laois (1936-37-38)
1940s: 3 for Meath (1940-47-49)
1950s: 3 each for Louth (1950-53-57), Meath (1951-52-54) and Dublin (1955-58-59)
1960s: 3 each for Offaly (1960-61-69), Dublin (1962-63-65) and Meath (1964-66-67)
1970s: 6 for Dublin (1974-75-76-77-78-79)
1980s: 4 for Dublin (1983-84-85-89)
1990s: 4 each for Meath (1990-91-96-99) and Dublin (1992-93-94-95)
2000s: 6 for Dublin (2002-05-06-07-08-09)
2010s: 9 for Dublin (2011-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19)

Pretty stark that.
Absolutely. Dublin have always had periods of Leinster dominance and this decade is the most dominant they have been in football. Coincided with, until the last couple of years, a drop in standards in the other top Leinster teams. Why Kildare and Meath haven't been as good as Mayo and Kerry and Donegal and Tyrone over the last decade is for another  thread. But that's changing and I think we'll see both as regulars in Division 1 over the next decade.

But despite pricey's childish ramblings (and complete lies mixed in), the games development funding has very little to do with why Dublin's elite players are so good.

Now I've learnt to put him on ignore so I no longer have to read his ramblings (he has absolutely zero knowledge of what happens on the ground in Dublin, so just makes up lies to justify his nonsense). I realise there are plenty who lap up the nonsense that pricey and Spewan dish out, but for anyone who is interested in what actually happens, you should read this article. Its purpose, seemingly, was to expose how the Games Development Funding has turned Dublin into a great senior team. And while there was a bit of plamasing at the start re this funding, it ended up going into great detail (from country people involved in Dublin clubs) about the actual real primary reasons.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/the-kieran-shannon-interview-the-real-jackanory-behind-dublins-perfect-storm-942964.html

Lar Naparka

I think arguing about preferential funding is a smokescreen that clouds the main issue.
The fact is that a total of five counties won the Leinster championship between 1995 and 2004 and since then, Dublin has won all bar one and there is no realistic indication that Dublin's dominance won't continue.
The cause is not bothering me but the effect is.
As it stands, Dublin has a bigger population than the combined total of the other eleven.
Back in the early noughties Wexford were in hard luck on a couple of occasions and generated a level of interest in Gaelic football that is absent now.
Mattie Forde was a household name and kids were wearing Wexford tops everywhere you looked and I did look as I spent a few summer holidays there.
Laois kids had their heroes like Ross Munnelly and Beano McDonald and Westmeath had their own as well.
Without contradiction, football at grassroots level was thriving then and it certainly isn't now.
Why this may be so is open to debate but the fact that football in eleven counties has regressed is certainly not.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

dublin7

Kerry/Cork have split munster titles since god knows when, but where is the ridicule for the munster championship or is it accepted munster has been rubish forever so it somehow doesn't count.

Realistically the provincial championships should be scrapped. Unfortunately the dinosaurs in charge who think what worked in 1919 still works best in 2019. Their rumoured masterplan to put the dubs straight into a Leinster semi final which unfortunately  achieves nothing for competitiveness but at least the auld lads get to feel important fldoing the draw and arranging fixtures

Maiden1

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 06, 2019, 10:54:00 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 06, 2019, 10:30:20 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 06, 2019, 07:59:18 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 06, 2019, 05:28:14 PM
Lar, I was able to read that full article  when I posted the link.
You probably have to be registered with them?
I'm not sure what Leinster is at.
They were as well to let the other 10 play for the Leinster IFC with the winners playing Dublin in the Senior Final ::)
You wouldn't know what to make of it all.
However, one thing stood out for me and I thought maybe I should highlight it to see if anyone else finds it, well, interesting.
I'm referring to the list of Leinster provincial winners-particularly those in the ten years before Bertie and John Bailey got together and roped in the Irish Sports Council.  So I am talking about the provincial winners from 1995 until 2004.
The spread was impressive, five different counties in a decade.
Meath won 3.
Dublin won 2.
Kildare won 2.
Offaly won 1.
Laois won 1.
Westmeath won 1.
Since then, Dublin have won 13 out of 14.
Dunno what to make of it all, do you?
So it that typical of Leinster Gaa history or are you picking out an outlier period to make a ridiculous point?

Let's be honest here. When Offaly, Laois and Westmeath won Leinsters in that period, Leinster football was at a very big low. It was like Connacht and Ulster for most of the 70s and 80s. Shite. Still, they were the best in the province at the time and fully deserved their medals. But none of those teams came close to winning an AI semi, never mind a final.

Kildare have a long long history of underperforming. It took an excellent outside manager for them to believe in themselves, and they were quite unlucky not to win Sam IMO. They are coming again. (Personally i'll be betting on them to win Leinster next year, but only if Dubs win the replay).

Meath have been so far below par in the last near decade that it's hard to comprehend. McEntee has them at least performing to their ability, but they are missing a couple of really star players. If they get another Geraghty or Giles they could well become a permanent fixture in the S8.

Is the present Dublin dominance typical of Leinster Gaa history or are you picking out an outlier period to make a ridiculous point?
Interestingly even though everyone talks about the Dublin Kerry rivalry like they been more or less matching each other every decade, between 1924 and 1973 Dublin won 3 AI.  In fact between 1924 and 2010 Galway have won more AI than Dublin.  It really only the last 15 years that the big gap between Dublin and the rest in Leinster has existed.  The 1970s were known as the decade of the Dubs but Offaly played in 5 AI finals and won 7 Leinster titles between 1969 and 1982. Most of Dublins AIs are pre 1924.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

priceyreilly

Quote from: Hound on September 12, 2019, 12:11:21 PM
Absolutely. Dublin have always had periods of Leinster dominance and this decade is the most dominant they have been in football. Coincided with, until the last couple of years, a drop in standards in the other top Leinster teams. Why Kildare and Meath haven't been as good as Mayo and Kerry and Donegal and Tyrone over the last decade is for another  thread. But that's changing and I think we'll see both as regulars in Division 1 over the next decade.

But despite pricey's childish ramblings (and complete lies mixed in), the games development funding has very little to do with why Dublin's elite players are so good.

Now I've learnt to put him on ignore so I no longer have to read his ramblings (he has absolutely zero knowledge of what happens on the ground in Dublin, so just makes up lies to justify his nonsense). I realise there are plenty who lap up the nonsense that pricey and Spewan dish out, but for anyone who is interested in what actually happens, you should read this article. Its purpose, seemingly, was to expose how the Games Development Funding has turned Dublin into a great senior team. And while there was a bit of plamasing at the start re this funding, it ended up going into great detail (from country people involved in Dublin clubs) about the actual real primary reasons.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/the-kieran-shannon-interview-the-real-jackanory-behind-dublins-perfect-storm-942964.html

;D All you can do is laugh at this f**king spoofer! Here are a quote from the article he linked to:

"I went back the following year to an U15 development squad(late 90's). And if you were to compare the quality of player coming through then to the U13s now, the difference is night and day. Kids were coming into us without the basic skills. They were kick-passing a five-yard pass instead of hand-passing it but their instinct was to kick it along the ground. So they obviously hadn't been exposed to any level of coaching.

I look now at U14 football in Dublin and the standard of football in the county is phenomenal. The level of individual skill the players have, the level of coaching teams, it's incomparable to the late '90s, early '00s. And a big reason why is obviously the GDO system going into Dublin."

Rossfan

Quote from: dublin7 on September 12, 2019, 08:46:45 PM
Kerry/Cork have split munster titles since god knows when, but where is the ridicule for the munster championship or is it accepted munster has been rubish forever so it somehow doesn't count.
Munster apart from Kerry is Hurley country so it doesn't matter.
Only issue there is will Kerry get 100 Football Titles before Cork get 50.
10 of Leinster's 12 are football counties.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 12, 2019, 01:05:47 PM
I think arguing about preferential funding is a smokescreen that clouds the main issue.
The fact is that a total of five counties won the Leinster championship between 1995 and 2004 and since then, Dublin has won all bar one and there is no realistic indication that Dublin's dominance won't continue.
The cause is not bothering me but the effect is.
As it stands, Dublin has a bigger population than the combined total of the other eleven.
Back in the early noughties Wexford were in hard luck on a couple of occasions and generated a level of interest in Gaelic football that is absent now.
Mattie Forde was a household name and kids were wearing Wexford tops everywhere you looked and I did look as I spent a few summer holidays there.
Laois kids had their heroes like Ross Munnelly and Beano McDonald and Westmeath had their own as well.
Without contradiction, football at grassroots level was thriving then and it certainly isn't now.
Why this may be so is open to debate but the fact that football in eleven counties has regressed is certainly not.

That's correct Lar.
As per the link I attached, the Dubs really got their house in order and at the same time standards in other Leinster counties had slipped. What Kildare and Meath would give for an outstanding and totally committed star forward like Mattie Forde.

Marc O'Se was on the radio this week, saying he's just finished a year with the Kerry development panels. I think he said he was with the U15s. But he said every Saturday he would go down to the Kerry centre of excellence and there also every week was, among others, Paul Galvin, Mike Frank Russell and one of the Hassetts. These lads are effectively rock stars in Kerry, and these are the type of men who have been giving up their Saturdays for years to train young lads, who probably can't believe their luck that they have heroes like these training them.

I understand that some of the Leinster counties have upped their game with development panels in recent years. Clearly Kildare and Meath are improving and matching Dubs at minor level. Supposed to be great work going on in Wicklow. But you do need lads with the drive and ambition to pull on the county jersey and, as you alluded to, that's much harder when there's been no success at senior level for donkeys. 

shark

Quote from: Rossfan on September 12, 2019, 11:54:11 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 12, 2019, 08:46:45 PM
Munster apart from Kerry is Hurley country so it doesn't matter.
Only issue there is will Kerry get 100 Football Titles before Cork get 50.
10 of Leinster's 12 are football counties.

Only if you discount non-GAA sports

highorlow

QuoteSupposed to be great work going on in Wicklow

Heard that myself, particularly in Greystones. Wicklow minors beat Dublin last year. Hopefully the likes of Meath, Kildare and Wicklow bring on these young teams and the Leinster Senior Championship will be more competitive in 3 to 5 years time.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

mup

Quote from: highorlow on September 13, 2019, 10:10:38 AM
QuoteSupposed to be great work going on in Wicklow

Heard that myself, particularly in Greystones. Wicklow minors beat Dublin last year. Hopefully the likes of Meath, Kildare and Wicklow bring on these young teams and the Leinster Senior Championship will be more competitive in 3 to 5 years time.

Kildare won leinster minor titles in 13, 15, 16. They are not near competitive. Why will 3 - 5 years time be any different?

The Leinster Championship is a dead duck. No amount of faffing about or hoping for minor teams to step up is going to change that. The Dubs won't admit that money has been a big factor in this. Certainly not the only one but it's no coincidence.