Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo, Healy Park, March 26th @3pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 19, 2017, 04:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: saffronandblue on March 27, 2017, 06:14:39 PM
According to the tutor, who has reffed All-Ireland's and the other 3 refs that were in attendance it only applies when you are brought to the ground in a tackle and and upon hitting the ground it has to be got rid of immediately and can thus be thrown at that moment in time.  It was even more shocking to find out that you could score from it too.  There were 20 at least in the room and all were in shock.   I know in ladies GAA you can play the ball on the ground to get it away from you but this was certainly a 1st for me.  If I'm wrong, and I'm certainly no expert, then so are a lot of imminent refs who will be reffing in the League next weekend.

It might explain some of the refereeing we do see in the league! I'm pretty certain they are all wrong if that's their view. These are the relevant rules, 4.2 and 1.2:

It's a technical foul to...

4.2 (a) To throw the ball. (b)  To handpass the ball without:  (i) It being Fisted      or  (ii)  It being struck with an open hand with a definite underhand striking action.

1.2   When the ball is on the ground, it may be played by any part of the body except the hand(s). It may be lifted off the ground with the feet.  Exceptions  (i)  The goalkeeper may play the ball on the ground with his hand(s) inside his own small rectangle.  (ii)  Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by so doing.

Il Bomber Destro

I don't think Cavanagh threw it in any case, he dropped it and batted it away with one hand.

Smokin Joe

Seeing as we're debating rules, can you drop kick a free?

Antrim were 3 down against Armagh on Saturday night and CJ McGourty had a 14 metre free .  Injury time was almost up and I knew by his stance that he was going to drop kick the ball due to the additional power generated.

He did, and the referee allowed it (although the shot was blocked).
Surely it's not legal to drop kick a free?

bucko

Happy out with that win, wasn't massively confident we would pull it off though as I said in a previous post it didn't surprise me either that we did! Everything that was missing against Cavan was there on Sunday, the intensity, workrate, physicality, that bit of bite all showed, especially from some of the more senior guys. COC, Boyle, McLoughlin just to name a few were  far more prominent, McLoughlin's winning score especially was a peach. Just scratching my head as to were this level of performance was against Cavan, we might be sittining pretty otherwise. We're a bit like the Ireland rugby team during the Six Nations, consistent at being inconsistent :o

From the Bunker

Quote from: bucko on March 27, 2017, 10:15:48 PM
Happy out with that win, wasn't massively confident we would pull it off though as I said in a previous post it didn't surprise me either that we did! Everything that was missing against Cavan was there on Sunday, the intensity, workrate, physicality, that bit of bite all showed, especially from some of the more senior guys. COC, Boyle, McLoughlin just to name a few were  far more prominent, McLoughlin's winning score especially was a peach. Just scratching my head as to were this level of performance was against Cavan, we might be sittining pretty otherwise. We're a bit like the Ireland rugby team during the Six Nations, consistent at being inconsistent :o

We showed Tyrone respect and set ourselves up defensively to cope with them. We showed Cavan no respect and played open old school football against them believing we could beat them that way.

thewobbler

Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 27, 2017, 07:01:24 PM

Antrim were 3 down against Armagh on Saturday night and CJ McGourty had a 14 metre free .  Injury time was almost up and I knew by his stance that he was going to drop kick the ball due to the additional power generated.

I'm trying to work out on what grounds a drop kick could be illegal, whereas kicking a ball normally from hands would be legal??

If anything the drop kick method would be more in keeping with the old fashioned static kicks from the ground, as you're less likely to carry the ball a few steps to generate momentum before kicking it.

blast05

Quote from: saffronandblue on March 27, 2017, 05:54:08 PM
That's not how the reffing courses down here would say.  I couldn't believe it myself, nor could anyone else and it was brought up on more than 1 occasion for clarification.  I presume it's to do with health and safety.  Obviously it's interpretation but that's from a course only 3/4 weeks back.

We take it all back Joe...  :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxq6SofU_38

saffronandblue

Quote from: blast05 on March 27, 2017, 11:21:13 PM
Quote from: saffronandblue on March 27, 2017, 05:54:08 PM
That's not how the reffing courses down here would say.  I couldn't believe it myself, nor could anyone else and it was brought up on more than 1 occasion for clarification.  I presume it's to do with health and safety.  Obviously it's interpretation but that's from a course only 3/4 weeks back.

We take it all back Joe...  :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxq6SofU_38

That came up in the conversation lol.

Jinxy

"Seamus Kenny is inside in the square before the ball..."
What a clown.  ::)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: thewobbler on March 27, 2017, 10:49:18 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 27, 2017, 07:01:24 PM

I'm trying to work out on what grounds a drop kick could be illegal, whereas kicking a ball normally from hands would be legal??

If anything the drop kick method would be more in keeping with the old fashioned static kicks from the ground, as you're less likely to carry the ball a few steps to generate momentum before kicking it.

From the Rules (2.5):
A free kick, other than a penalty kick or a 45m free kick as prescribed in Rule 2.8, may
be taken from the hands or from the ground. A player having indicated his option to the
referee shall not be permitted to change his decision. The ball shall be stationary when a
free kick is taken from the ground.

The question is whether a free "taken from the hands" includes a drop kick.  The ball hits the ground in such an instance; so is that different to a "normal" kick taken from the hands which doesn't bounce prior to striking?

mayoaremagic

Yeah, really surprised the hit on Cillian wasn't red. He looked like a boxer struggling to get back on his feet. Vaughan too took a few belts.

Mayo should keep quiet about it though, let the GAA do what they want with it. We should keep it in the locker should we meet again later this year.

Mayo have the players to play defensive counter attack football. Thats what we did in the finals last year and it got us over the line today, just. That's how we will beat the other top teams. We can get away with open expansive football against weaker opposition.

Still think McLoughlin has to be played in sweeper role.

Nally will push for a starting place come the summer.

A fit Barrett too adds more strength at the back

Cunny Funt

Quote from: mayoaremagic on March 29, 2017, 09:57:04 AM
Yeah, really surprised the hit on Cillian wasn't red. He looked like a boxer struggling to get back on his feet. Vaughan too took a few belts.

Mayo should keep quiet about it though, let the GAA do what they want with it. We should keep it in the locker should we meet again later this year.

Mayo have the players to play defensive counter attack football. Thats what we did in the finals last year and it got us over the line today, just. That's how we will beat the other top teams. We can get away with open expansive football against weaker opposition.

WTF?

You copy and paste a mayonaze comment on mayogaablog from March 26 at 5:32 pm and try to pass it off as your own view here.

ballinaman

Quote from: mayoaremagic on March 29, 2017, 09:57:04 AM

How's Darragh Coen playing these days?

mayoaremagic

One match ban for Mattie Donnelly. RTE highlighted this incident yet no suspensions from Dublin Kerry game?