So what do ye think of the black card rule now?

Started by sligoman2, April 08, 2014, 04:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of the black card rule

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
Still undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: May 17, 2014, 08:10:51 PM

BennyHarp

Niall Sludden's card yesterday was as bad a decision as I've seen with regards the black card. The refs clearly aren't getting any better in applying it effectively.
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

It was an absolute disgrace black card and I think it highlights that the rule needs to be changed.
I think there is still a place for the black card alright but it needs to be for VERY obvious cynical play and not given in marginal decisions where you are not sure about the intent.
I wasn't even sure if Sludden's one was a foul to be honest.

johnneycool

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 27, 2017, 11:59:32 AM
It was an absolute disgrace black card and I think it highlights that the rule needs to be changed.
I think there is still a place for the black card alright but it needs to be for VERY obvious cynical play and not given in marginal decisions where you are not sure about the intent.

I watched a bit of this whilst waiting on the hurling and Sluddens was dodgy alright, but the lad who belted O'Connor in the face should have gotten a red as there was f**k all accidental about it.
"sorry ref my arms were accidentally flailing about there"

Zulu

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 27, 2017, 11:59:32 AM

Agree with this entirely. Sludden tried to tackle and in the process probably took the legs from Keegan but it wasn't deliberate or cynical so a foul at best and nothing more. Keegan's wasn't a black either but looked a bit more like one in real time. However, referees should be slow to give black cards for 50/50 things and keep it for the ones where they are 100% sure it was deliberate and cynical. Ending a man's game is something referees shouldn't do lightly.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Referees too often give the impression that they've suddenly just remembered again about the black card, and therefore jump to brandish it at the earliest, though inevitably most inopportune and most inappropriate, opportunity. It either needs to be applied properly or jettisoned  completely at this stage, having marred or destroyed too many games at this point through total misapplication, whether through incompetence or ignorance.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Il Bomber Destro

Keegan's was a stonewall black card.

He dragged McNabb around by the hips and took him to the ground after he broke past him. Certain black card, just because he pulled his hands away when McNabb was falling doesn't come into it. Kirby's was justified as well. Donnelly certainly should have had a black card later on in the game.

Sludden's was an absolute joke, he slapped the ball and got black carded, it was harsh to award a foul nevermind a black card.

Conor Lane is a cretin though, I'm sure some of the Derry lads will remember the black card he issued to Brendan Rodgers in a Championship game in Salthill 2 years ago. Brian McIver packed it in on the basis of Lane's performance.

I don't feel done by Lane yesterday, he made bizarre calls all through the match against both sides but he really should not be allowed near a big game this summer.

Itchy

Dara mcvitty was rugby tackled while one on one with the keeper yesterday, dragged to the ground. The referee gave him a free in and didn't give a card of any description to the culprit. It was one of those ones you'd see on pat McEneaney's video of what a black card is for. Then Pat didn't legislate for Maurice Deegan being a ref.

From the Bunker

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 27, 2017, 06:43:08 PM

He dragged McNabb around by the hips and took him to the ground after he broke past him. Certain black card, just because he pulled his hands away when McNabb was falling doesn't come into it. Kirby's was justified as well. Donnelly certainly should have had a black card later on in the game.

Sludden's was an absolute joke, he slapped the ball and got black carded, it was harsh to award a foul nevermind a black card.

Conor Lane is a cretin though, I'm sure some of the Derry lads will remember the black card he issued to Brendan Rodgers in a Championship game in Salthill 2 years ago. Brian McIver packed it in on the basis of Lane's performance.

I don't feel done by Lane yesterday, he made bizarre calls all through the match against both sides but he really should not be allowed near a big game this summer.

Lane set the tone early on with a ridiculous yellow card to a mayo player. Keegans was probably a black deservedly but it's the type of foul most refs cop out with a yellow card. I thought kirbys was a yellow card offence. Sluddens was very harsh but he does stick his leg out which makes it look like a trip. It looked completely accidental though and that's why it shouldn't have been a card. Donnelly could've got a black in the 2nd half.

moysider

The problem is that refs are not implementing the rule. Too much individual and circumstantial  interpretation. It was brought in to stop deliberate dragging down - not clumsy tackling (Sean Cavanagh's tackle that probably started the move for this card). Clumsy tackling an ordinary free and a ticking. Dragging at a player that falls down or dives consequently is not a black.  A black also for taking a man out on a support run ( like Richie Feeney got ). A black also for verbal abuse/sledgng - but good luck with that happening.  A yellow is for a successions of tickings or a reckless tackle that is not quite a red. The problem is that refs are not accurate enough and winging it. The same ref. will give black one day, yellow another, ticking another, ignore completely another, depending on his humour and the nature of the game. Refs. just need to be more clinical.

Rossfan

The Black card was approved at Congress 3 or 4 months before the Cavanagh foul.
Why do people keep saying it was introduced because of Cavanagh ? ??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thebuzz

Quote from: Rossfan on March 28, 2017, 09:07:11 AM
The Black card was approved at Congress 3 or 4 months before the Cavanagh foul.
Why do people keep saying it was introduced because of Cavanagh ? ??

We were going to a match somewhere last year and the brother stated that it was brought in because of Cavanagh. I had to go online to disprove this and he had to eat humble pie for once. The bollox is nearly always right though :-)

macdanger2

Ideally it would be for instances where there's no attempt whatsoever to tackle and it's just taking the man out of it to stop him. Difficult to define in an objective way though

In hiding

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on March 27, 2017, 06:43:08 PM

http://www.the42.ie/black-card-offences-gaa-graphic-1246838-Jan2014/

Keegan should not have got a black card. Learn the rules

Hound

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 28, 2017, 01:32:16 PM
Ideally it would be for instances where there's no attempt whatsoever to tackle and it's just taking the man out of it to stop him. Difficult to define in an objective way though
Exactly.
In my opinion in the first year or so, refs generally implemented it well. But the gobshites in the media who didn't understand it were constantly bleating about various challenges that they wrongly said deserved black cards.

Now some refs are handing them out far too readily. A ref should be 100% sure the intention of the player was to bring the player to ground without an attempt to make a proper tackle.