Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legoman5

Quote from: gaafan2 on March 27, 2017, 10:16:31 AM
Mattie Donnelly frustrates the hell out of me! Constantly walking about with his chest out and flexing his biceps. Slows the play down too much and runs down blind alleyways, losing the ball on too many occasions!

Hmm singling out one player for losing balls and running down blind alleyways when majority of the team are at it? You seem to have a personal vendetta against Mattie when you bring personal appearance into it!!
I could safely say come championship time Mattie will do what he's done this past few years consistently and continue to be one of our top performers..

Legoman5

Quote from: redhandefender on March 27, 2017, 10:47:27 AM
Very disappointing. The scary thing as people have pointed out is we do not seem have learnt, changed or brought anything new to the table since AI semi last year.

I don't care what the situation is harte should go with lee brennan now. McCurry has had far nore shots than he ever should have got. Brennan may not be the answer but mc curry certainly isn't.

The panic when a free was missed to start chopping and changing the kicker must ruin their confidence. why did mc curry hit a 45 then morgan come up and hit one just after. Just go short and work it in! We seem to do it with every other aspect of our game.

I def dont think the time is right for Brennan or near it, I watched the U21's matches and all the McKenna cup games and he's been too quie and just looks like a player short on confidence! He needs a good year imo away from the County set up and gain more club football experience, Mattie done it at that age and also Niall Sludden asked Mickey for that extra year at club football after he broke the leg, he's gota get that confidence back and back playin football week in week out!

tc_manchester

The difference in winning and losing that match on Sunday was a freetaker. Mayo have one who is consistent. We do not. We know that we've had this problem for more then 3 years but it still had not been rectified. Christ we went back to Morgan hitting the 50s again. Given the system we're playing we should be able to carry a player whose main reason to be on the field is for the frees. We had it in 80s with Micky Mallon. I'm really starting to lose my patience with Micky Harte. Another perfect example is Mattie Donnelly. He plays him in full forward in three night matches where the wind is blowing a gale and it's pissing down. The first day when it's like summer conditions with a good pitch he's back out in the middle. It makes absolutely no sense

In hiding

Quote from: seanmc123 on March 28, 2017, 07:56:55 AM
Quote from: ONeill on March 27, 2017, 10:16:09 PM
When you talk about pushing up on kick-outs...that's well and good, and Tyrone do spend a spell doing that, but as soon as it doesn't work it's panic stations. There's no confidence in the defence to leave them 6 on 6.

Did Tiernan McCann try to chip a keeper who was on his line in the first half? It's these silly in-game decisions that cost them. We were used to lads like O'Neill and Mulligan putting everything over. Also, late in the second, who went through and fisted the ball across the box to no one?

Please tell me a team in Ireland that leaves 6 on 6 at the back. Get your head out of the sand you fool
I always seem to disagree with you but if you cannot go 6 v 6 at the back for 10 seconds so as not to allow your opposition easy possession from their kickout then we must have terrible defenders. If you lose the kickout then a foul/half foul in the middle of the pitch gives you an opportunity to get someone back to cover. It's not rocket science

BennyHarp

Quote from: tc_manchester on March 28, 2017, 09:53:53 AM
The difference in winning and losing that match on Sunday was a freetaker. Mayo have one who is consistent. We do not. We know that we've had this problem for more then 3 years but it still had not been rectified. Christ we went back to Morgan hitting the 50s again. Given the system we're playing we should be able to carry a player whose main reason to be on the field is for the frees. We had it in 80s with Micky Mallon. I'm really starting to lose my patience with Micky Harte. Another perfect example is Mattie Donnelly. He plays him in full forward in three night matches where the wind is blowing a gale and it's pissing down. The first day when it's like summer conditions with a good pitch he's back out in the middle. It makes absolutely no sense

I'd be a supporter of Mickey Harte and still think he is the only man at this moment in time to take the team forward but I agree regarding the freetaker and that some of his decisions being baffling. We play a game that's on the edge, we defend to keep the opposition to 12 points or below and hope to eek out a victory. This keeps us competitive but we are fundamentally flawed in the respect that we need to be converting our own chances. Harte's free kick in the second half was an example of a scenario where very few county teams at any level (never mind Div 1 teams) would miss from. This takes the pressure off the defender as they can push the limits of the tackle a little more safe in the knowledge they are unlikely to get punished from the resulting free. With a Cillian O'Connor or Peter Canavan around a defender is afraid to touch a man, as a certain point results from the free. But this problem has been going on for years. At what point will we accept that we don't have a free taker (which I find hard to believe that a county like Tyrone can unearth at least one decent free taker) and actually try to work longer frees into scoring positions rather than having guys like Morgan and McCurry take pot shots that everyone knows they are going to miss. Especially when we aren't contesting kick outs - we may as well just hand possession back to the opposition. Would it be too difficult to work out 4 or 5 set pieces from frees outside or near 50 yards that results in one of either Peter Harte, Matty Donnelly, Sean or Mark Bradley in a reasonable scoring position to get a shot away?

With regards some of his decisions, I don't understand his selection policy at times, I absolutely agree regarding Matty Donnelly, he hasn't been given a good enough try inside and Sunday was the perfect opportunity to finally make up his mind if it was an option we should pursue. I have nothing against Harry Loughran but I just don't get the logic of throwing him into quite an important game at that stage when we haven't seen him at all in the league up to that point - what has happened to McClure and McNulty? McClure in particular being an interesting option having performed well when given the opportunity this year.

My hope is that Tyrone are in the midst of some heavy training and the legs definitely looked weary - this can often take a toll when shooting. We have to be ready for an ambush in Celtic Park in a few weeks time and maybe the hard miles are being put in now - this isn't a problem the likes of Mayo, Dublin and Kerry face as they plan for August again.
That was never a square ball!!

tothetop03

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 28, 2017, 10:39:49 AM
Quote from: tc_manchester on March 28, 2017, 09:53:53 AM

I'd be a supporter of Mickey Harte and still think he is the only man at this moment in time to take the team forward but I agree regarding the freetaker and that some of his decisions being baffling. We play a game that's on the edge, we defend to keep the opposition to 12 points or below and hope to eek out a victory. This keeps us competitive but we are fundamentally flawed in the respect that we need to be converting our own chances. Harte's free kick in the second half was an example of a scenario where very few county teams at any level (never mind Div 1 teams) would miss from. This takes the pressure off the defender as they can push the limits of the tackle a little more safe in the knowledge they are unlikely to get punished from the resulting free. With a Cillian O'Connor or Peter Canavan around a defender is afraid to touch a man, as a certain point results from the free. But this problem has been going on for years. At what point will we accept that we don't have a free taker (which I find hard to believe that a county like Tyrone can unearth at least one decent free taker) and actually try to work longer frees into scoring positions rather than having guys like Morgan and McCurry take pot shots that everyone knows they are going to miss. Especially when we aren't contesting kick outs - we may as well just hand possession back to the opposition. Would it be too difficult to work out 4 or 5 set pieces from frees outside or near 50 yards that results in one of either Peter Harte, Matty Donnelly, Sean or Mark Bradley in a reasonable scoring position to get a shot away?

With regards some of his decisions, I don't understand his selection policy at times, I absolutely agree regarding Matty Donnelly, he hasn't been given a good enough try inside and Sunday was the perfect opportunity to finally make up his mind if it was an option we should pursue. I have nothing against Harry Loughran but I just don't get the logic of throwing him into quite an important game at that stage when we haven't seen him at all in the league up to that point - what has happened to McClure and McNulty? McClure in particular being an interesting option having performed well when given the opportunity this year.

My hope is that Tyrone are in the midst of some heavy training and the legs definitely looked weary - this can often take a toll when shooting. We have to be ready for an ambush in Celtic Park in a few weeks time and maybe the hard miles are being put in now - this isn't a problem the likes of Mayo, Dublin and Kerry face as they plan for August again.

The lack of a free taker and all the problems we had last Sunday cost championship games in Croke Park for the last 2 summers....the year before we scored 10 points v Armagh when we where defeated in Omagh by them....nothing to do with training regime at that time of the year i hope...

southtyronegael

Jesus lads what's with all the negativity on here? Mickey will sort the whole thing out. Total faith.lol

teaminamillion

This "running game" Harte talks about looks totally uncoordinated an shambolic. Half a dozen Players running beside each other up blind alleys, running into each other. Looked farcical at times. How can anybody with an ounce of Tyrone blood in the them still be happy and content of were Tyrone is at and were their going? Having watch a st Marys team backboned by Tyrone players win sigerson under paddy tally, there was a confidence and assurance in what they were doing. If Tyrone don't have footballers to compete with the dubs then nobody has! Time to get the pride back in this great football county. Time for change. HARTE Out.

Bring back club football

Dear oh dear. Bad few weeks for Tyrone supporters. 21s well beat by Donegal missing a host of players and missing a penalty. Seniors look to be flat and running out of ideas. All the while club football is on life support with the life getting sucked out of it due to the focus in all ways on goings on up in Garvaghey.

Dire Ear

Quote from: Bring back club football on March 28, 2017, 02:31:44 PM
Dear oh dear. Bad few weeks for Tyrone supporters. 21s well beat by Donegal missing a host of players and missing a penalty. Seniors look to be flat and running out of ideas. All the while club football is on life support with the life getting sucked out of it due to the focus in all ways on goings on up in Garvaghey.
U-17's aswell

Club boi

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 27, 2017, 05:44:50 PM
I think what is the most frustrating things for the fans is we seem to not be learning from our mistakes or improving.
How many times over the last few years have we talked about the same problems. I don't think any other county seems to kick as many shots short into the keepers hands as we do. Maybe I'm wrong.
Is it overconfidence or players misjudging the distance.
Once yesterday near the end Colm Cavanagh did great to break inside two Mayo men's tackle and from about 25 yards out on the right wing he kicks it into the keepers hands rather than DRIVING it over with force.
Other players also guilty of the same thing time and time again.
It's hard to know what's wrong but to me there seems to be an over confidence or an attitude that they think they sometimes don't have to put in the hard work.
I thought McCarron has slowed up a bit or isn't as fired up as he usually is. He seems happy enough to track is man and let him get the ball as long as he doesn't turn him.
Maybe they were tired but going into the final 5-10 mins nobody really stood up and pushed hard for home to actually win the game.

Perhaps a major factor may have been poor Colm who has defended from the D all day long had most likely ran 100 mtrs plus to get on the end of that play didn't have the legs for the kick. Just like many other shots being referred too, the "Shooters" are tiring themselves out chasing men and tackling around their own 45 that when they get in position they don't have the legs for the important kick

teaminamillion

Quote from: Club boi on March 28, 2017, 05:57:39 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on March 27, 2017, 05:44:50 PM
I think what is the most frustrating things for the fans is we seem to not be learning from our mistakes or improving.
How many times over the last few years have we talked about the same problems. I don't think any other county seems to kick as many shots short into the keepers hands as we do. Maybe I'm wrong.
Is it overconfidence or players misjudging the distance.
Once yesterday near the end Colm Cavanagh did great to break inside two Mayo men's tackle and from about 25 yards out on the right wing he kicks it into the keepers hands rather than DRIVING it over with force.
Other players also guilty of the same thing time and time again.
It's hard to know what's wrong but to me there seems to be an over confidence or an attitude that they think they sometimes don't have to put in the hard work.
I thought McCarron has slowed up a bit or isn't as fired up as he usually is. He seems happy enough to track is man and let him get the ball as long as he doesn't turn him.
Maybe they were tired but going into the final 5-10 mins nobody really stood up and pushed hard for home to actually win the game.

Perhaps a major factor may have been poor Colm who has defended from the D all day long had most likely ran 100 mtrs plus to get on the end of that play didn't have the legs for the kick. Just like many other shots being referred too, the "Shooters" are tiring themselves out chasing men and tackling around their own 45 that when they get in position they don't have the legs for the important kick
fair point on big Colm. The man does the job of three men carrying the dead wood on his back. It's players like Colm Cavanagh I feel sorry for.

longballin

The system they play is appaling and the myth that vanity project Gervaghy would lead us all to glory has been well hammered.

southtyronegael

alot of interesting discussion on here and seems the penny has dropped with alot of people that we need new management. its ok talkin on here but everyone needs to get on to their respective club delegate and make sure when the vote comes in autumn that people do the right thing.the powers lays with the delegates.

seanmc123

Could only imagine half of the guys on here. Big fat bellys hanging over the keyboard, never kicked a ball in their lives.. wise up use pack of winging dungbags. It's f**king march and I think we are in a great position. No one better than harte just ask the players, at the end of the day the players have the power, thank god it doesn't come down to half the godshotes in here when coming to pick a manger. Amen