Scousers and "You can't buy History" crap

Started by T Fearon, May 02, 2007, 01:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Gnevin on May 02, 2007, 03:16:40 PM
Quote from: WeAreBlueWeAreWhite on May 02, 2007, 02:54:52 PM
I was reading between the lines.I believe his comment "so you picked a successfull team off the telly,Well done" is a dig at people who follow a team from another country unlike supporting your home town GAA club or your county.Im sure he'll deny this but that's what i took from his post
So WeAre...do you follow a team or support ?

It's an interesting thing following. The traditional way to follow is to buying a jersey and watching generally with their back to the tv the game in a pub. If the game isnt on TV you get the score of the news and look slightly disappointed if they lose

Where  as i support Dublin and Leinster and go to 95% of home games 95% of dublin away games and as many leinster away as i can afford .To support a team you need to be able to go their games 

Bit of a generalisation there Gnevin,I for one hate watching matches in pubs as i can't hear nor see it half the time,Also i get to about 12-16 games a year in Anfield and every Ireland home international
You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

To support a team you need to be able to go their games 

FFS Gnevin, are you serious with this statement?
So (for eg) Utd have only 70/80k supporters & Liverpool have only 40/50k supporters
The times when you cant afford to go to the Leinster games prove you arent a true supporter ::)
This is the daftest statement I have heard on this board in a long time & thats saying something

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 02, 2007, 03:20:50 PM
I was reading between the lines.I believe his comment "so you picked a successfull team off the telly,Well done" is a dig at people who follow a team from another country unlike supporting your home town GAA club or your county.Im sure he'll deny this but that's what i took from his post
So WeAre...do you follow a team or support ?

It's an interesting thing following. The traditional way to follow is to buying a jersey and watching generally with their back to the tv the game in a pub. If the game isnt on TV you get the score of the news and look slightly disappointed if they lose

Where  as i support Dublin and Leinster and go to 95% of home games 95% of dublin away games and as many leinster away as i can afford .To support a team you need to be able to go their games 

Bit of a generalisation there Gnevin,I for one hate watching matches in pubs as i can't hear nor see it half the time,Also i get to about 12-16 games a year in Anfield and every Ireland home international

Thats fair enough , it's a costly business going over to England (Scotland,Wales and France in my case) to get to matches. You support them , you put in time,effort and cash to see them play
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Real Laoislad

Oh and by the way I also go to 99% of Laois games Hurling and Football and quite a number of Kilkenny games as all my mates are from there and a lot of Dublin games as my girlfriend is one of ye,and actually a lot of Raheny club matches as my Brother in Law plays for them
Look at that you can actually support soccer and Gaa  :o
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteTo support a team you need to be able to go their games

that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard

Gnevin

Quote from: full back on May 02, 2007, 03:22:24 PM
To support a team you need to be able to go their games 

FFS Gnevin, are you serious with this statement?
So (for eg) Utd have only 70/80k supporters & Liverpool have only 40/50k supporters
The times when you cant afford to go to the Leinster games prove you arent a true supporter ::)
This is the daftest statement I have heard on this board in a long time & thats saying something

No what I'm say is that is their is a large number of people who follow utd etc and go to maybe one game a year which is infact a piss up in england , they have no interest on listening to the match on the radio if its not on tv, they go to the pub to "watch" the game and sit with their backs to the TV.

I'm not trying to set down a hard and fast rule . Of course their a people who live in Australia who cant get come to see GAA games but these are the people who get up at 3 in the morning to watch the game.
Their are also people in Ireland who support UTD but have 3 kids etc and cant afford 15+ trip to England a year but these people have sky , satanta are supporters club member etc.

Basically i'm try to draw a line between the likes of Laoislad and people like my friend who follows arsenal which consist of him looking up the result on the news/text every Saturday
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Real Laoislad

QuoteNo what I'm say is that is their is a large number of people who follow utd etc and go to maybe one game a year which is infact a piss up in england , they have no interest on listening to the match on the radio if its not on tv, they go to the pub to "watch" the game and sit with their backs to the TV.

Eh ever hear of HILL 16 fans and their sunshine support for the Dubs Gnevin?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

full back

That isnt what you said Gnevin - you are changing your story now
Take this example - some young lad from inner city Dublin, supports your county or indeed United/Liverpool religiously. Because he cant afford to go to games he isnt a true supporter.
You generalised everyone then turned around and said you were only talking about a certain group ::)

Gnevin

Quote from: full back on May 02, 2007, 03:30:50 PM
That isnt what you said Gnevin - you are changing your story now
Take this example - some young lad from inner city Dublin, supports your county or indeed United/Liverpool religiously. Because he cant afford to go to games he isnt a true supporter.
You generalised everyone then turned around and said you were only talking about a certain group ::)

No I didn't or at least I didn't mean to . Sorry lads please call off you dogs  :o :D

The Real Laoislad

When ya can't take the heat get out of the fire eh Gnevin it must be a Dublin thing  ;)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

magickingdom

dont know anything about tayto but did he mention a problem with supporting a non gaa sport? no. did he mention anything about another country? no. bit of an overaction i think.. ps im a mad gaa fan and also love liverpool

WeAreBlueWeAreWhite

Quote from: magickingdom on May 02, 2007, 04:00:02 PM

dont know anything about tayto but did he mention a problem with supporting a non gaa sport? no. did he mention anything about another country? no. bit of an overaction i think.. ps im a mad gaa fan and also love liverpool

Im well aware he didn't mention it thats why i said reading between the lines ::)

AND A BOTTLE OF RITZ FOR ME LAC

Sky Blue

Have Liverpool or Spurs ever won the Priemiership? With both of them it's all ancient history.

tayto

Quote from: WeAreBlueWeAreWhite on May 02, 2007, 02:38:00 PM
Quote from: tayto on May 02, 2007, 02:12:41 PM
So you picked a very successful team off the telly. Well done. 99% of Irish premiership fans support the 3 or 4 most successful sides and then gloat about their trophy haul.  ???

I hate f**kers like you who begrudge someone supporting another sport outside Gaa,So what if someone supports Liverpool or Man U etc what harm if they boast about their trophy haul i wish people like you would cop on and get rid of the chip on your shoulders,Its a short life we lead and if this supporting something other than GAA brings joy to it then what f**king odds does it make

Rant over

"f**kers like me" ... Ah relax the cacks.  :-*

I've nothing against other sports, I watched the match last night myself, very entertaining. This football lark could catch on if it was do or die more often.

But listing the roll of honour? 

Follow a club by all means, follow a club in another country, knock yourself out, I couldnt care less, but when it comes to gloating about how successful one club is over the other, I just don't get it, as if you haven't handpicked one of the most successful clubs ... to then go on and gloat about their trophies haul over the decades .... hmmmmm .... it not exactly being overly cynical to see the pointlessness in that.

I work with a couple of lads who try desperatly hard to convince people that they're as big a fan as someone who grew up next to anfield, one of them even said he'd prefer Liverpool to win the premiership then Ireland win the world cup. Explain that to me. Then they proclaim their "hatred" for everton, must be because of the fierce local rivalry i suppose. Yet we're not supposed to bat an eyelid at this nonsense no? Then the same person will cheer against their 'heros' come the world cup when they're playing for their country ... the usual tripe is trotted out, "the english hype their team up" as if there is no hype about the team you watch on TV week in week out ... but we're just supposed to accept that, to question it is to have a chip on my shoulder? no actually, i'm f**ker according to you. So much for free speech, your over reaction is typical of someone who deep down is very insecure about something, bah humbug, if anything this stuff needs to be questioned more. Go'wan call me more names.

I follow brazil by the way --- anyone got a problem with that can ask me swiss.  :P

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: tayto on May 02, 2007, 05:27:25 PM
Quote from: WeAreBlueWeAreWhite on May 02, 2007, 02:38:00 PM
Quote from: tayto on May 02, 2007, 02:12:41 PM
So you picked a very successful team off the telly. Well done. 99% of Irish premiership fans support the 3 or 4 most successful sides and then gloat about their trophy haul.  ???

I hate f**kers like you who begrudge someone supporting another sport outside Gaa,So what if someone supports Liverpool or Man U etc what harm if they boast about their trophy haul i wish people like you would cop on and get rid of the chip on your shoulders,Its a short life we lead and if this supporting something other than GAA brings joy to it then what f**king odds does it make

Rant over

"f**kers like me" ... Ah relax the cacks.  :-*

I've nothing against other sports, I watched the match last night myself, very entertaining. This football lark could catch on if it was do or die more often.

But listing the roll of honour? 

Follow a club by all means, follow a club in another country, knock yourself out, I couldnt care less, but when it comes to gloating about how successful one club is over the other, I just don't get it, as if you haven't handpicked one of the most successful clubs ... to then go on and gloat about their trophies haul over the decades .... hmmmmm .... it not exactly being overly cynical to see the pointlessness in that.

I work with a couple of lads who try desperatly hard to convince people that they're as big a fan as someone who grew up next to anfield, one of them even said he'd prefer Liverpool to win the premiership then Ireland win the world cup. Explain that to me. Then they proclaim their "hatred" for everton, must be because of the fierce local rivalry i suppose. Yet we're not supposed to bat an eyelid at this nonsense no? Then the same person will cheer against their 'heros' come the world cup when they're playing for their country ... the usual tripe is trotted out, "the english hype their team up" as if there is no hype about the team you watch on TV week in week out ... but we're just supposed to accept that, to question it is to have a chip on my shoulder? no actually, i'm f**ker according to you. So much for free speech, your over reaction is typical of someone who deep down is very insecure about something, bah humbug, if anything this stuff needs to be questioned more. Go'wan call me more names.

I follow brazil by the way --- anyone got a problem with that can ask me swiss.  :P

More generalisations there if you ask me.
Firstly i didn't handpick a club,My Dad is a Liverpool fan all his life,and my Graddad was from Liverpool but spent the rest of his life in Ireland after he got married to my gran as his parents were Irish, so really it wasn't a case of just picking a team off the telly for me it was more a tradition.I hate this type of shite talk and if anything i think your the one who is insecure about something Tayto,While WeAreBlue was slightly over the top in expressing his views i think he has a point
You'll Never Walk Alone.