Started by GaillimhIarthair, August 20, 2009, 03:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talktothehand

CONNACHT CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE??

an oxymoron surely?

ludermor

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on August 21, 2009, 09:09:59 AM
Quote from: ludermor on August 20, 2009, 04:37:30 PM
I cant see any fault in the location at all, there are 4 clubs in mayo which will be as far away from it as any club in galway
To be honest I dont really have any problem, its fairly central,  just that bo**** Prenty seems to happy knack of getting "Connacht" facilities built on his door step i.e. the connacht gaa council gaa offices are located in Ballyhaunis also.
Fair enough and you do have a point!

heineken_on_tap

Just take out the 'oxy' and you have a word that descrides yourself perfectly talktothehand ;)

talktothehand

lol touche! was waiting for that one and you didn't disappoint

heineken_on_tap

Like GallimhIarthair I would have more of an issue with Prenty working in a capacity for the Connacht council and having a knack of looking over his own patch than the location itself.

How will each county's time allowed to use the facitly be determined? Hopefully Prenty isn't over that or some of us will never get a look in

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 20, 2009, 11:11:32 PM
Its in Bekan, pronounced Bacon. I hope its up quickly because it will be a massive asset to the county province.

Isn't that Eastern Gaels catchment area? They might use it most and move swiftly up the ranks to Senior level in Mayo!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 21, 2009, 02:41:48 PM
Its in Bekan, pronounced Bacon. I hope its up quickly because it will be a massive asset to the county province.

Isn't that Eastern Gaels catchment area? They might use it most and move swiftly up the ranks to Senior level in Mayo!

Yeah its the Gaels area but I don't see them moving up to senior! If they do, Prenty will be the GAA equivalent of Roman Abromovich!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

western exile

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 21, 2009, 08:25:22 AM
Leitrim are building a centre of excellence in annaduff, but it seems stalled. Sligo have one planned. I  personnally would prefer individual county ones if feasible. Its over over 1.5hrs to Ballyhaunis from North Sligo, not really feasible for the whole of Connacht IMO, just too far from the outskirts of the province. Mayo will get best use of it, South Sligo, west Roscommon and North Galway too. Tyrones Centre of excellence is worth a look. I think Sligo need to be self serving and get our one up and built asap.
It is being located at the centre of Connacht!   Exactly half way between Sligo and Galway, and halfway between Westport and Roscommon, and you are complaining because it is too far from the outskirts of the province. There is just no pleasing some people !!

western exile

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 21, 2009, 07:14:05 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 21, 2009, 02:41:48 PM

Eastern Gaels went up to Intermediate from Junior last year, but have struggled this year at that level.  It didn't help that they have played most of the season without a bainisteoir.

Yeah its the Gaels area but I don't see them moving up to senior! If they do, Prenty will be the GAA equivalent of Roman Abromovich!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: western exile on August 21, 2009, 11:55:09 PM
Leitrim are building a centre of excellence in annaduff, but it seems stalled. Sligo have one planned. I  personnally would prefer individual county ones if feasible. Its over over 1.5hrs to Ballyhaunis from North Sligo, not really feasible for the whole of Connacht IMO, just too far from the outskirts of the province. Mayo will get best use of it, South Sligo, west Roscommon and North Galway too. Tyrones Centre of excellence is worth a look. I think Sligo need to be self serving and get our one up and built asap.
It is being located at the centre of Connacht!   Exactly half way between Sligo and Galway, and halfway between Westport and Roscommon, and you are complaining because it is too far from the outskirts of the province. There is just no pleasing some people !!

This doesnt please me, how would it, mayo will get best use out of it, no argument there, I am from outskirts of Connacht so thats my reality, Im looking at it from the Sligo point of view and players from North Sligo. Is that unfair of me  ::). County Sligo doenst end in Sligo town btw. This Centre should be downgraded and money saved given to each other county. Then id be satisfied. Its far too convenient for mayo and I dont like the way its been proposed, why dont they just call it mayo centre of excellence. With county expenses going through the roof even if we wanted to can you see Sligo using it much, its another 40-60 mins past Tubbercurry and over the year that would add massively to costs and can you see us sending underage teams there, rarely id say, the only cost we would save is Kevin Walshs mileage allowance...thats the Sligo view.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Azzurri

This is a joke. Every county should have their own centre of excellence. This will cost €10 million. Could €2 million not be given to each county to help develop facilities in each. What will happen on Saturdays when every county will want to use the facilities at the same time? I cant see Mayo training on one pitch and galway on the pitch beside it.  ???

ludermor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 22, 2009, 05:07:52 AM
Quote from: western exile on August 21, 2009, 11:55:09 PM

This doesnt please me, how would it, mayo will get best use out of it, no argument there, I am from outskirts of Connacht so thats my reality, Im looking at it from the Sligo point of view and players from North Sligo. Is that unfair of me  ::). County Sligo doenst end in Sligo town btw. This Centre should be downgraded and money saved given to each other county. Then id be satisfied. Its far too convenient for mayo and I dont like the way its been proposed, why dont they just call it mayo centre of excellence. With county expenses going through the roof even if we wanted to can you see Sligo using it much, its another 40-60 mins past Tubbercurry and over the year that would add massively to costs and can you see us sending underage teams there, rarely id say, the only cost we would save is Kevin Walshs mileage allowance...thats the Sligo view.
Thsts your view. There are places in mayo further away from it than any part of sligo.
Who voted for this? Were there any objections? If it is for the provence then it is in a good and fair location it would have had to end up somewhere so people are always going to give out.

ludermor

Quote from: Azzurri on August 22, 2009, 02:07:14 PM
This is a joke. Every county should have their own centre of excellence. This will cost €10 million. Could €2 million not be given to each county to help develop facilities in each. What will happen on Saturdays when every county will want to use the facilities at the same time? I cant see Mayo training on one pitch and galway on the pitch beside it.  ???
Would you be confident that each county board would use the money wisely?

Duine Eile

I can't really see Galway teams using this to be honest, we have our own training centre in loughgeorge, there'd be no reason to go sending Galway teams to Ballyhaunis.