Ulster SFC - Down v Antrim - Sat 26 May 2018 @ 7:00pm - Pairc Esler, Newry.

Started by AQMP, May 21, 2018, 10:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hedgehunter

Looked nowhere near 5500 from what was seen on TV, stand was maybe 25% full if that and there wasn't an awful lot on the terrace from the times it was shown.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Hedgehunter on May 27, 2018, 12:01:58 AM
Looked nowhere near 5500 from what was seen on TV, stand was maybe 25% full if that and there wasn't an awful lot on the terrace from the times it was shown.
think the ulster concil was a bit generous on  the attendance figures this evening. Id say 4000  was closer to the mark. Most people I talked to were put off by the admission prices not the champions league final. Brian mcevoy defended the price increase on tv apparently, shows how out of touch he is with the ordinary gaa supporter.
nil satis nisi optimum

thewobbler

We need a "price accordingly" structure for GAA county games.

Theoretically Tyrone v Monaghan in R1 is the same thing as Down v Antrim in R1. In reality though it's like forcing Liverpool v Spurs prices upon Stoke v Brighton.

Stoke will never charge the same for their fixture, as they're analysing and adapting to the laws of supply and demand. Plus while I personally have this week promoted "there's no such thing as bad publicity", the reality is that live pictures of an empty stadium vindicates the choice of those that stayed away; whereas coverage of a stadium full of people always produces the thought of "I should have been there".

£10 a ticket tonight and free entrance for under 16s probably wouldn't have generated more income for the Ulster Council. But it would have generated more goodwill and fundamentally would have promoted our game as the family game that it should be.

In short, common sense should prevail.

illdecide

Tbh I was going to go to the game as a total neutral (Armagh man) but them prices for first round of ulster are ridiculous. Charging kids in is a mistake too, Jasus let them in for free and see the guys they look up too and they will create a we bit of atmosphere... BTW the Champions league final had no bearing on me going or not
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Leftmidfield

Quote from: Jules on May 26, 2018, 08:02:13 PM
Quote from: Leftmidfield on May 26, 2018, 07:34:45 PM
Quote from: Jules on May 26, 2018, 06:00:49 PM
Yep save your money it's on iplayer
How do u watch it on iplayer ?
Sorry only seeing this - go to menu, scroll across to n Ireland and it's there
I can only see Donegal/ Cavan and Tyrone / Monaghan. No sign of Down/Antrim 🙄

DuffleKing

Nanderson

Watching the game back on iplayer I think McKernans black card was harsh. He wrapped his arms around the antrim defender who just sandbagged himself to the ground and mckernan goes down with him. Stupid stuff from someone who was playing very well but he does have a track record of picking up these silly cards

Dubh driocht

The game is available from a link on the BBC website. The quality of the game is as poor as it was yesterday. Marty Clarke and Oisin called the madness of clashing with the CL Final.

Smurfy123

Jesus that was dire stuff yesterday
If that is the best that this county can produce we are fukd
Kilcoo would hammer both teams

Smurfy123

How would they not?
Would you swap anyone on the Down team for Laverty or Johnstone

thebar

Quote from: hardstation on May 27, 2018, 02:15:24 PM
They are an average club team. They wouldn't have a prayer of beating either of those county teams.

Dont think you can call a club team average thats after winning 6 county championships in a row ???

thebar

Quote from: hardstation on May 27, 2018, 05:36:58 PM
Quote from: thebar on May 27, 2018, 05:33:23 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 27, 2018, 02:15:24 PM
They are an average club team. They wouldn't have a prayer of beating either of those county teams.

Dont think you can call a club team average thats after winning 6 county championships in a row ???
They haven't won a provincial title. In Down, they are very good. In Ireland, they are average.
Average club teams don't win as much as they have in the past number of years.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: hardstation on May 27, 2018, 05:59:31 PM
The point is. A great club team would be doing well to beat a county team. Kilcoo aren't a great club team and wouldn't get near Antrim or Down.

Hmmm.... I if recall correctly the last time Down played Kilcoo in a "friendly"...
i usse an speelchekor