The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: David McKeown on March 15, 2018, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 15, 2018, 12:26:47 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 15, 2018, 12:17:18 PM
Greaney's upped his game for the closing statements he's way more detailed and up to date than Cooney today!

Not much new or surprising coming from the prosecution closing statement. Do all 4 defending barristers give a closing statement?

No only Paddy Jackson's as he is the main star of the show and whatever happens to him will have a huge bearing on how much news the other 3 get.

Yeah all defence seniors will likely do a closing. Starting with Jacksons ending with Harrisons.

Hedworth has finished (I though it would take longer??).  Lunch and then Jackson's barrister will close.  Looks like closing will be over tomorrow and then it's back next Wed for the judge.

AQMP

Greaney's upped his game for the closing statements he's way more detailed and up to date than Cooney today!

Not much new or surprising coming from the prosecution closing statement. Do all 4 defending barristers give a closing statement?

No only Paddy Jackson's as he is the main star of the show and whatever happens to him will have a huge bearing on how much news the other 3 get.

Yeah all defence seniors will likely do a closing. Starting with Jacksons ending with Harrisons.

It's shite work, but somebody's got to do it!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AQMP on March 15, 2018, 01:07:44 PM

Hedworth has finished (I though it would take longer??).  Lunch and then Jackson's barrister will close.  Looks like closing will be over tomorrow and then it's back next Wed for the judge.

Squeaky bum time for all involved.

Would not want to be on that jury! I've changed my mind a few times now
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Avondhu star

And if convicted there could be a civil action for damages by the victim. Bye bye house in South Belfast
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Franko

Reading reports of Mr Hedworth's closing.  It seemed like a very strong argument.

Knowing only what I know now* if I was on the jury I'd be going with guilty.

*i.e. only what's been reported in the press

general_lee

Is there likely to be any collaboration between the accused defence teams when giving closing arguments?  Would it be of any benefit to the defendants to do this to try and strengthen their individual defences? Or would it be a case of every man for himself?

Syferus

Quote from: general_lee on March 15, 2018, 02:25:25 PM
Is there likely to be any collaboration between the accused defence teams when giving closing arguments?  Would it be of any benefit to the defendants to do this to try and strengthen their individual defences? Or would it be a case of every man for himself?

Hard to colllude effectively after failing so badly to do it in the trial. Their stories all contradict each others'.

seafoid

Quote from: Franko on March 15, 2018, 02:07:16 PM
Reading reports of Mr Hedworth's closing.  It seemed like a very strong argument.

Knowing only what I know now* if I was on the jury I'd be going with guilty.

*i.e. only what's been reported in the press
He put the evidence of the witness in its proper context. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AQMP

Jury sent home.  Kelly about halfway through his closing.

screenexile

Is that the defence completely finished or can he speak again?

AQMP

Quote from: screenexile on March 15, 2018, 04:17:48 PM

No, he's back in the morning to complete his closing.  This is only Paddy Jackson's defence.  The others will have a go tomorrow too.

seafoid

@FrankGreaney

Mr. Kelly QC tells jurors: "You decide where the truth lies. Consistencies are the hallmark of truth. Liars deviate".
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2018, 04:44:24 PM
@FrankGreaney

Mr. Kelly QC tells jurors: "You decide where the truth lies. Consistencies are the hallmark of truth. Liars deviate".

What if you lie consistently?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: AQMP on March 15, 2018, 04:40:10 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 15, 2018, 04:17:48 PM

No, he's back in the morning to complete his closing.  This is only Paddy Jackson's defence.  The others will have a go tomorrow too.

From Greaney:

Brendan Kelly QC has completed six of the fifteen chapters of his closing address and will resume at 10am tomorrow.

AQMP

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2018, 04:47:35 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 15, 2018, 04:44:24 PM
@FrankGreaney

What if you lie consistently?

I take it he was referring the the complainant there, but it could apply to the defendants as well!