UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guevara

The BBC coverage was ok. Oisín McConville is excellent but Thomas Niblock was repetitive in a lot of his commentary and over egging it at times.

It doesn't need to be described as a brilliant point or magnificent score if its a straight forward shot. Less is more sometimes.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

DuffleKing

I really like Cantwell's style. She's not supposed to be anyone's friend - she's there to stimulate discussion and draw opinions from the guests. I think that she is often being lift hearted or mischievous gets lost in the perception of her.

Wildweasel74

Nah, she poor. BBC Sarah Mulkerrins is way better.

ardtole

Aisling OReilly on newstalk is very good. She actually comes across as if she is loving the job.

rrhf

There are a lot of good women broadcasters out there raising the standard.. stag muller runs is the best Cantwell has been poor at times but is generally very good, aisling o Reilly anf thomas no luck are a breath of fresh air to coverage particularly niblock whose approach is very different and very underrated and I would love to see it tried on a bbc Sunday game review show some poor ones and plenty poor men. 

Brick Tamlin

Jesus f**k my head hurt trying to read that

rrhf

My apologies it is not worth reading having read it back myself...

AustinPowers

The Championship  on BBC Sport NI won an award for their coverage of the All Ireland final

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/68670122

Did bringing  in the big guns (Dara O Briain, Patrick Kielty, Adrian Dunbar and the  other fella) help swing it?

marty34

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 27, 2024, 12:51:15 PMThe Championship  on BBC Sport NI won an award for their coverage of the All Ireland final

Did bringing  in the big guns (Dara O Briain, Patrick Kielty, Adrian Dunbar and the  other fella) help swing it?

Probably having Sarah Mulkerrin as anchor was key.

Brendan

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 27, 2024, 12:51:15 PMThe Championship  on BBC Sport NI won an award for their coverage of the All Ireland final

Coverage was better before they did that for the final so was well deserved

imtommygunn

Coverage was very good. Niblock's good, Harte a good addition to it and sarah mulkerrins is very good as well. Much better than some of the stuff you would see on RTE.

Derryman forever

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2024, 02:22:48 PMCoverage was very good. Niblock's good, Harte a good addition to it and sarah mulkerrins is very good as well. Much better than some of the stuff you would see on RTE.

I found on the BBC coverage that the presenters and panelists were excited about the game. Knowledgeable about tactics and match ups. That they were determined to focus on the best aspects of the game while highlighting where teams  were failing or were outmatched.
There were no petty jealousies or personal egos on display.
They cared more about the profile of football than their own.
And absolutely enjoyable to watch.
But while Niblock is a tenfold improvement on Morrissey he can still be a bit boring in his commentary.

tiempo

What happened to Thomas Kane, thought he was the heir apparent to Mark Sidebottom, only just released this Niblock fella isn't Kane tbh. Two absolutely delicious young men. Phenomenal.

Armagh18

Quote from: tiempo on March 27, 2024, 04:10:43 PMWhat happened to Thomas Kane, thought he was the heir apparent to Mark Sidebottom, only just released this Niblock fella isn't Kane tbh. Two absolutely delicious young men. Phenomenal.
:o

imtommygunn

I saw him recently out an about somewhere and wondered the same. It did look like the world was his oyster. He  hosted an event I was at one night years ago and he was some speaker.