Tír Eoghain v An Mhí (AI Quarter Final '07)

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 19, 2007, 02:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Them cute kerry hoors are laughing their arses off at the results today.

Kerry will win the AI in a canter now, you heard it here first.  ;)

this is a down year for football, some of the QF teams were brutal altogether.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

tyssam5

Could have stolen the game in the 2nd half, if the forwards had been less profligate, but it wouldn't have been deserved. Lack of Dooher's drive and McGuigan's creativity led to the forwards playing individually and not putting together any decent moves. Mulligan and Cavlan had very poor games, after his goal Mulligan missed a few points at a really crucial stage. Reminded me a lot of the Mayo game in 2004, got a goal(s) and couldn't build on it.

Cavlan was the perfect FF for Fay to mark. Thought McCullagh had a decent game and Mulgrew in the first half, but that's about it, didn't see much of Mellon at all.

I thought Ulster was all that we were going to get this year, so better to get it over with now rather than in the final.

Seems like the winner will come from the other side of the draw, but Meath have a lot of potential so I wouldn't rule them out.

Jinxy

Lads who was missing today from the team that annihilated Donegal? And beat Monaghan? Ah well I suppose it's another meaningless victory against a shadow team. We're getting used to that. Prolongs the agony for another game at least. ::)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Carmen Stateside

Emm Kevin Hughes, Sean Cavanagh Owen Mulligan :P

johnpower

Great performance by meath . I tipped Farrell to be a key man . Great goal by Cavanagh . After Portlaoise I thought they were good but today they even surprises even me . I think that the Dubs physicality might be their only challenge . Did not see the last 10 minutes but heard that Tyrone had the chances . This is not the the time for Post Mortems on Tyrone . I had my money on them  but I think no team can afford tolose McGuiggan and O Neill and be the same .

johnpower

From the bit I saw a bit of both but Meath are good enough to win it .

Jinxy

God almighty, lets all bow down before Kerry. ::) Ask yourself, are they a better team than last year? I believe Cork should have beat them in the munster final. Who else have they played? Lets see them in another game before we all get an attack of the vapours at least.

darbyo

QuoteGod almighty, lets all bow down before Kerry

Agree, where is all this Kerry are unbeatable stuff coming from? I have yet to see anything this year from Kerry to suggest that they are untouchable. I think that they have their work cut out to get to the AI in the first place and if they do make it Cork would certainly give them plenty. Meath also look more impressive with each outing and would be in no way awed by Kerry. There's plenty football yet to be played.

Jinxy

We have another couple of weeks to get lads back from injuries and work on our weaknesses. Not saying we're going to win the All-Ireland but it is really starting to bug me that every team we beat (who are favourites to beat us beforehand mind) are automatically some second rate outfit devastated by injuries or playing well below themselves.

johnpower

Quote from: Jinxy on August 04, 2007, 09:47:31 PM
We have another couple of weeks to get lads back from injuries and work on our weaknesses. Not saying we're going to win the All-Ireland but it is really starting to bug me that every team we beat (who are favourites to beat us beforehand mind) are automatically some second rate outfit devastated by injuries or playing well below themselves.

I thought you would be celebrating and savouring todays result not worrying about Monaghan ,Dublin.derry or kerry . Meath have arrived in 2007 .

ONeill

Always had a bad feeling about this game, going right back to the Ulster Final.

The game itself - Meath displayed serious belief today that they'd beat Tyrone no matter what. In recent years, most teams have folded for a period against Tyrone when they decide to turn the screw. In those last 15 minutes when Tyrone owned the ball, Meath held firm and that's an admirable quality. So, how did Tyrone lose the game? Well, a number of factors contributed to this, although Meath's ability was no.1 factor. However, you have to question Mickey's judgement today. We were forever being told about the size of our squad..38 players....so why play Brian Dooher -  a virtual passenger apart from the handshake? Surely even an average-to-good squad player in the mould of Penrose, McGinley etc would have offered more to Tyrone's gameplay. Secondly, Cavlan at FF was a disaster from minute 1 as was Ricey's game. Mickey, often quick to notice, left both untouched for far too long and we were left chasing the game against a fired-up Royal side. I also thought our choice of substitutions failed to address our real second half problem - putting the ball over the bar. We had already negated Meath's forwards after 55 mins or so....and on comes....

Sean and Mugsy had a bad shooting day at the office. So often they have converted the chances they missed today, especially at Croker. It wasn't meant to be. O'Neill hit two scoreables wide as well. Tyrone could've notched 0-8 in the last ten minutes. Mulgrew looked so composed on the ball, beating his marker with utmost ease, but then found his other 5 forwards unable to find space, and well done to Meath on that. The Royals also managed to slow down any frees Tyrone had that would've offered incisively speedy delivery into Mulligan or McCullagh. Again, good homework.

That's a strong and tall Meath team, especially around the middle, though Tyrone got to grips with that eventually. Darren Fay was a monster in defence - he still has it though may have played his last 'big' game in Croke as Cavlan suited him to a tee.

How Meath were not further ahead at half time spoke more about the quality of this year's championship (and a lot about Mickey's decision to play 14 men til Dooher went off). A somewhat depleted and under-performing Tyrone side could have won this game. Meath are no world-beaters but have a momentum and a modicum of quality to see them through this far. Cork v Meath in the semi.....need I say more. Tyrone would probably have beaten Cork and made the AIF playing well below their capabilities (actually not playing well at all.) Armagh before this year and Kerry, on form, would have destroyed Tyrone today.

What now for Tyrone? If McGuigan, O'Neill and Dooher had lined out today, we'd be looking forward to Cork and beyond. Worryingly, for all of Mickey's squad size, the replacements are just 'good' county players - on an equal par to the Meaths and Corks of this world. Good, but not All-Ireland class. Cavlan's done. Dooher may be heading that way due to age/miles (I hope the Donegal game wasn't his fine swansong). We need a forward of All-Ireland class to compliment Mulligan, Mulgrew, O'Neill and Dooher. Preferably with height and accuracy (Ronan Clarke esque) At some stage of a match when things are running away from you, you need that option. We don't have a target man. A pity Rouse never appeared again after a promising McKenna.

The provincial/back-door set-up needs to be addressed. In 2005, Tyrone won BECAUSE of the back door. In 2006 Kerry won BECAUSE of the back door. The two provincial champions lost today to match-fit sides. It cost Armagh in recent years too.

Well done Meath. Admirable drive and belief.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tyroneboi

Quote from: a neil gael on August 04, 2007, 06:44:02 PM
Mulligan was terrible today aside from the goal never seen him kick so many wides.  Whats up way Sean Cavanagh, is it not possible for him to pass the ball?  I knew it wasnt gona be tyrones day from the amount of balls tyrone kicked to Meath players.  Iv rarely seen Tyrone do this so much in recent years.  On the plus side as a Derry man great to see Derry still in the competition with Tyrone out.lol

2-1 thats all i will say!!

Fair play to Meath today was very impressed. Bray is nailed on for an allstar now. Geraghty and Farrell were also very good. Tyrone seemed a little intimidated today and looked especially afraid of Geraghty for whatever reason.

Meath will be in the All- Ireland final and who would bet against them at this stage - i wouldnt be anyway.

As for Tyrone - think that might be the end of the road for Brian Dooher. Lack of scoring forwards cost us big style today. Cavanagh had his most ineffective game for tyrone but he has pulled it outta the fire so cant blame the lad. Our corner backs seem more interested in attacking than defending. Devines kickouts were atrocious!

No complaints though best team won on the day!

Jinxy

All good things come to an end. You have 2 All-Irelands in the bank in the last 5 years. There's always a period of transition when a team has as many miles on the clock as Tyrone have. That's just the way it is. Lord knows Meath have faded into the background after some successful campaigns and come storming back with new young players often enough.

imtommygunn

You're being a bit harsh on Dooher there O'Neill. Who put Kavanagh through for his goal - yes Dooher and he won some break ball but clearly wasn't fuly fit.

I wouldn't go writing any post mortems on this tyrone team yet. One thing they  do lack is a top quality corner back. They then need to utilise Gormely there when they need him at CHB.

You look at today and I don't think Gormley was half fit nor was Dooher. Mulligan had a shocker with his shooting adn O'Neill hardly got any game time. Put all these boys back in and Tyrone are still a formidable outfit. Add to that Brian McGuigan.

The questions I would ask... Ricey as a top quality corner back? Kevin Hughes - has he still got it? Can Jordan get his engine back? Hughes and Jordan are probably replaceable but Ricey as a man marker is arguably not. Has Cavlan still got it would be another question.

Meath aren't bad - but I would leave it at that - aren't bad. The two corner forwards are very good and Moyles adds a good bit to the team . Geraghty also, despite being a tr**p, is a top quality player. Fay still has it and the rest of the players are "steely" but there is no real brilliance aside from what I mentioned.

Cork shouldn't trouble Meath. The winner of the AI should be from the other side of the draw. Who knows how Dublin and Derry will go but Kerry should realistically be the team to beat.

All in all I still think Tyrone are still very much a big gun and injury permitting will be a huge force next year.

paddypastit

Best team won - no questions.

Tyrone lacked any leadership or direction - not really a shock when you consider all the players that have been missing but I would argue the only one that could be assured to make a real difference is McGuigan.  Mulligan and O'Neill need service and / or support and as for Cavanagh, simply overrated.  A fine and game runner and capable of getting eyecatching scores but not a man to control and run a game. 

As a team, tThey're not to my thinking about to slip off the face - they will be competitive for many a day yet but are no longer standout - there is no 'big three' or anything like it anymore. 

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word