Ulster Final: Tyrone v Down 16/07/17 14.00 Clones

Started by omagh_gael, June 22, 2017, 10:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: Taylor on July 17, 2017, 07:26:25 AM
watched game back and saw Morgan roaring at OHanlon after the missed goal chance. Is that what people are giving out about??
Down players were at this and worse the whole game  ::)

Big SC took some abuse throughout. The yellow card he got was a joke.

RON is a superb talent but he simply doesn't work hard enough to start. Impact sub is his role for the foreseeable future.
Nice to see Lee get a run out.

A good day at the office

No need for it to be fair. He would be better cutting that sh1te out and focusing on the game. Kickouts weren't as good as the Donegal game but I suppose that was because Down were more competitive than Donegal. Some great examples of fielding from Cavanagh's, and McClure when he came on. The mark has definitely improved this aspect of the game.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

WT4E

Watched the game on TV as I couldn't make it to the game.

Tyrone looked to play in 4th gear for the entire match some great performances all the same. Hampsey has been find of the season so far and I thought McClure was outstanding when introduced. Could McGearys place now be in doubt after getting the black card? (stupid rule that needs to go). McCann could go wing forward with McClure starting in the middle.

Interesting to hear a lot of positives about RONeill in past comments however he's failed to deliver for Tyrone at this level and whilst it was good to see him get two goals - I think the game was over at this stage. Two great finishes all the same.

Didn't like what Morgan was up to either after the goal chance - no need!

What did everyone else think of Sean Cavanaghs performance - I thought he was poor yesterday although looked like he was getting special treatment. Good to see the diddy nip making a comeback haven't seen one since I was at school (those dirty Down boys). Did anyone notice the reaction of the tyrone players when Cavanagh fisted the ball over the bar in the first half when there was an easy goal on? We need to be more ruthless and play as a team if we are to make an impact against the top 2.

Fuzzman

Firsty the facts.
0.22 v Derry
1.21 v Donegal
2.17 v Down
Not bad scoring for a team who are meant to be so defensive and put so much effort into stopping the other teams from scoring.

As many have said it must be the easiest won Ulster ever and we're still left wondering is it because everyone else have fallen back or have Tyrone moved on to another level. It seemed that Tyrone came out in the second half and moved up another gear. They stopped messing about with silly balls into the FF line but went back to their running game and taking scores from distance when the chance eventually arrived.

McQuillan seemed to do reasonably well in the first half but seem to lose the run of himself in the second half, making some very strange decisions.

Was a very different game to the Donegal match and I think this mainly stemmed from Down sitting back a lot more to contain us. You could see at times they were almost scared to run into our defence, knowing that a turnover and quick break will be the most likely outcome.

For me it's great to see the team playing so well without big Sean and Peter Harte maybe not as influential as usual. Who would have thought a year or two ago that Hampsey would have got two man of the match awards in a row and have scored 5 points in his last two games. Was glad Mickey had the balls to take Sean off whereas before sentiment would have influenced him.
Also good to see Mattie back playing well and more importantly kicking 3 points again.
McClure had a huge game in my eyes when he came in and for the first time in maybe 20 years we are strong at midfield again. With the new mark rule and a keeper who is accurate and fast with his restarts then we are no longer under pressure to always kick it short.

Yeah disappointing to see Morgan resort to that sort of reaction but he seems to be highly pumped during games when he makes a good save I notice as well. I thought he had settled the head a bit the last year or so.

So it will be Kildare or Armagh in the next round then in 3 weeks time. I wonder will we score 20+ points again. Most pundits seem to be ranking us 3rd again like last year which no doubt will greatly motivate Mayo and Kildare/Armagh. 

Yeah agree WT4E that Sean could have squared that ball for a goal. Not the first time he's done that lately.
Thought Conal McCann had another quiet enough game and with McClure looking much more up for it you would imagine he'll be in with a good chance to start the next day.

omagh_gael

That's three games in a row that Sean has been poor. Perhaps that's being unfair as his standards are so high. Could McClure come on in his place and leave Sean for the last 25? I also think he's taking far too much out of the ball and taking the wrong option. As WT4E mentions, he passed up a certain goal chance by fisting a point when there were at least two men with open nets in front of them. This happened against Donegal too. These all need to be ruthlessly taken if we're to challenge the top two.

Btw, completely disgusted by Morgan's reaction towards O'Hanlon. Wtf is that all about? It's not as if he was getting himself and he wanted some revenge. In saying that there were a squad of Down men going flat out at the goading and for all Sean Cavanagh's theatrics he does ship serious flak.

Taylor

No need for Morgan to do it. Agree. But its a bit rich for any Down fan to criticise him considering what went on out the field. That lad OHanlon is fond of the dark arts himself so whats good for the goose.

I would be more concerned with Morgan starting that nonsense again and it taking away from his own game. He cant seem to mix it. Needs complete focus on us rather than worry about mouthing or goading at the other teams players.

SC is the great conundrum now. He normally occupies 2 of the other teams better defenders when he is on leaving space for other players to attack.
He isnt playing well and is not clinical enough lately. Seems he is more interested in 0-1 beside his name than a goal for the team.

Tough one but in MH we trust

nrico2006

Tyrone play to Hartes template which is well known at this stage.  I would just like to see our forwards be more direct from time to time, gather the ball, turn and run to for goal.  This is our biggest weakness.  Also, when we get goal chances we squander a lot of them.  There was a sitter missed again yesterday by Hampsey I think, he just seemed so casual in his approach to the opportunity.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

I'd rather say players try to place it rather than what most do and that is blast it straight at the keeper as we saw in the Donegal game and Kildare did yesterday straight at Cluxton.

Not everyone can do this I suppose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHCS4RhJMQ
Nice to know Ronan has a lot to offer, even if it is as a sub coming on near the end. I was surprised Lee Brennan didn't try for a goal in his chance near the end.

Aidan McCrory must run some distances each match he plays. The amount of times you see him up near our attacking goal is amazing.

omagh_gael

If Lee went for goal and missed he probably wouldn't be seen for the rest of the championship!!

Did you notice he celebrated his point like he just bagged the winning goal?! Fair play to him.

Quote from: Hoes before bros on July 17, 2017, 01:38:02 AM
jeez that Ronan O'Neill lad is an awful p***k. Very very good footballer but you couldn't like him if ya reared him. I'd say his biggest problem is he knows how good he is

What did he do??? The way he celebrated his goal? I thought that was funny. Too many players look like they're on their way to their mother's wake after they score a goal. Have a bit of a laugh I say. On that subject, look for Niall Donnelly's reaction after he scored the long distance point in the first half. Look like he had a right laugh to himself, I'm assuming that was a bit of a collector's item?

Under Lights

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 17, 2017, 12:58:17 PM
If Lee went for goal and missed he probably wouldn't be seen for the rest of the championship!!

Did you notice he celebrated his point like he just bagged the winning goal?! Fair play to him.

Quote from: Hoes before bros on July 17, 2017, 01:38:02 AM
jeez that Ronan O'Neill lad is an awful p***k. Very very good footballer but you couldn't like him if ya reared him. I'd say his biggest problem is he knows how good he is

What did he do??? The way he celebrated his goal? I thought that was funny. Too many players look like they're on their way to their mother's wake after they score a goal. Have a bit of a laugh I say. On that subject, look for Niall Donnelly's reaction after he scored the long distance point in the first half. Look like he had a right laugh to himself, I'm assuming that was a bit of a collector's item?

Just think he wasn't shooting, lobbing it into Harrison.

nrico2006

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 17, 2017, 12:16:52 PM
I'd rather say players try to place it rather than what most do and that is blast it straight at the keeper as we saw in the Donegal game and Kildare did yesterday straight at Cluxton.

Not everyone can do this I suppose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEHCS4RhJMQ
Nice to know Ronan has a lot to offer, even if it is as a sub coming on near the end. I was surprised Lee Brennan didn't try for a goal in his chance near the end.

Aidan McCrory must run some distances each match he plays. The amount of times you see him up near our attacking goal is amazing.

I think that Brennan in a Trillick jersey would have went for goal, but he knows that in the Tyrone camp that there is one way of playing and its all about playing the percentages and taking the safe option.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

After all the Tyrone over confidence on here last week I was not too surprised to read some of the very anti Tyrone bias on here yesterday.
As many have already admitted it was disappointing to see Morgan's reaction but I don't know was there much else people could complain about yesterday.

Players like Tiernan McCann and Mattie D are good at making penetrating runs to break through the blanket defence which often results in them drawing the foul. Some would argue that he played for that free but if the defender fell for it or was lazy with his tackle then a free's a free.
As for Sean complaining to the ref or linesman about being fouled etc, what's the alternative, to take the law into his own hands like D.Connolly might do and then get punished even more.
Yes many would love to see Sean get sent off again for reacting to the abuse he gets during a game.

I see the Irish News agreed with my choice of McClure for MOTM. He looked very up for it yesterday and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't start the next day. Anyone else think the marks given in the IN are a bit mean on Tyrone?

Taylor

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 17, 2017, 02:11:37 PM
After all the Tyrone over confidence on here last week I was not too surprised to read some of the very anti Tyrone bias on here yesterday.
As many have already admitted it was disappointing to see Morgan's reaction but I don't know was there much else people could complain about yesterday.

Players like Tiernan McCann and Mattie D are good at making penetrating runs to break through the blanket defence which often results in them drawing the foul. Some would argue that he played for that free but if the defender fell for it or was lazy with his tackle then a free's a free.
As for Sean complaining to the ref or linesman about being fouled etc, what's the alternative, to take the law into his own hands like D.Connolly might do and then get punished even more.
Yes many would love to see Sean get sent off again for reacting to the abuse he gets during a game.

I see the Irish News agreed with my choice of McClure for MOTM. He looked very up for it yesterday and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't start the next day. Anyone else think the marks given in the IN are a bit mean on Tyrone?

Calling a spade a spade is not overconfidence FM.
Its just calling it as it is.
What is the alternative? To sound like every player and managers soundbites nowadays 'surra they are a great time, it will be a tough match etc'.

We are a far superior team to Down and it showed. We are far superior to the next team we will meet as well be it Kildare or Armagh - but its the Dubs after that and we will find it bloody tough but that is where we want to be.

Feck this cautious, talking up the opposition bullshit

God14

Kildare armagh or Monaghan next then? I notice a few have just said kildare or armagh... can someone confirm?

5 Sams

Quote from: God14 on July 17, 2017, 02:31:52 PM
Kildare armagh or Monaghan next then? I notice a few have just said kildare or armagh... can someone confirm?

Its Monghan at HQ next Saturday week. Double header with Armagh Kildare.
The Aristocrat Years

Rois

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 17, 2017, 02:11:37 PM
Anyone else think the marks given in the IN are a bit mean on Tyrone?
That was my first reaction this morning too - thought C Cavanagh and Tiernan McCann were particularly harshly marked given their level of involvement.