Ulster Final: Tyrone v Down 16/07/17 14.00 Clones

Started by omagh_gael, June 22, 2017, 10:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

O'Hanlon was givin Wylie plenty after the penalty, an indication that he doesnt like it done onto himself, you reap what you sow.
As far as Morgan goes...see above.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2017, 08:49:33 PM
Throne are 5/1 with pp
http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-football/all-ireland-sfc

That would seem to indicate another failed attempt of the summit

Well then, we'll hardly bother saying PP says we're not gonna win it.

Where'd they have Galway?

thewobbler

Really not a fan of the soccer-influenced blinkered bantz that this thread hasn't become.

Verbals happen. If anyone in Down football deserves them it's O'Hanlon. And I don't even mean that as a sleight on his character. He enjoys that sort of thing.

Praising someone for not reacting to his GPS vest being nipped is a touch shallow.

Sunday was a case of a strong intermediate side playing a strong senior side. I've been there more than a few times in club football and sadly it's never the intermediate side who get to decide how things go.

Was extremely impressed with Tyrone in patches.

Big Sean, an all time great, has sadly nothing to offer Tyrone anymore in games like this. The rest of them play selfless and efficient football. Maybe Tyrone will need bigger plays against Dublin, but he's actually a disruption against weaker sides.

Peter Harte was wonderful. I could watch him play ball all day. Hampsey and McClure have the makings of the new McMahons. Colm Cav just doesn't put a foot wrong. Midfield was simply owned.

If I was from that part of the world I'd be a tad worried about how a defensive system that looks so solid and well drilled still manages to cough up 15 points against a rather toothless attack. You can write some of those off against the match being over after 45 mins, but still, the strength of the Tyrone bench should be enough to see it out strongly.

Monaghan will be interesting for Down. If we play it like a championship match instead of a season finale then we will have a chance; but I'm not sure if as a county we need to go much further at this stage; the risk of a hiding thereafter is very very real.

Gerard McGovern, Niall Donnelly and Ryan's Johnston showed there are a few leaders in the camp. We could do with a few more; a few more men who'll take a 35m shot on instead of throwing out to the wing before inevitably being turned over. Falling into that trap again and again on Sunday was so hard to watch.

seafoid

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 17, 2017, 08:55:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 17, 2017, 08:49:33 PM
Throne are 5/1 with pp
http://www.paddypower.com/bet/gaa-sports/gaa-football/all-ireland-sfc

That would seem to indicate another failed attempt of the summit

Well then, we'll hardly bother saying PP says we're not gonna win it.

Where'd they have Galway?
Also unlikely to win in September
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

ONeill

I thought Peter Harte was one of the main reasons for the upping of gears in the second, especially at the start. He was battering them and broke the door.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

Quote from: thewobbler on July 17, 2017, 08:55:49 PM

If I was from that part of the world I'd be a tad worried about how a defensive system that looks so solid and well drilled still manages to cough up 15 points against a rather toothless attack. You can write some of those off against the match being over after 45 mins, but still, the strength of the Tyrone bench should be enough to see it out strongly.

This is a point to watch. Against Donegal it was the same. After 45/50, Mickey emptied the bench and Tyrone conceded a right bit albeit with the game dead and buried. We'll know soon whether this is a worrying trend late in games or simply holding back.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

Very fair analysis Wobbler. Agree regarding Petey, he is to be one of the strongest ball carriers around. Excellent balance.

grounded

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 17, 2017, 08:13:16 PM
O'Hanlon was givin Wylie plenty after the penalty, an indication that he doesnt like it done onto himself, you reap what you sow.

In fairness wylie was mouthing to him before the penalty!  Anyway all a crock of crap as it goes on in most games now. I seem to remember Morgan getting a bit himself in the past when taking frees against Donegal. A non issue to be honest.
         As wobbler said there i thought Peter Harte was the main driver at the start of the second half. A seriously under rated player. Has everything. The other thing was the quality they had to take on. Had my doubts after the Donegal game simply as i didnt know how good or bad Donegal are. But after Sunday i can see them beating the likes of the Dubs or Kerry.

imtommygunn

Harte is much quicker than he looks too. Him and o'hanlon had a race for the ball second half and he made o'hanlon look like he was standing still.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: grounded on July 17, 2017, 09:49:58 PM

In fairness wylie was mouthing to him before the penalty!  Anyway all a crock of crap as it goes on in most games now. I seem to remember Morgan getting a bit himself in the past when taking frees against Donegal. A non issue to be honest.
         As wobbler said there i thought Peter Harte was the main driver at the start of the second half. A seriously under rated player. Has everything. The other thing was the quality they had to take on. Had my doubts after the Donegal game simply as i didnt know how good or bad Donegal are. But after Sunday i can see them beating the likes of the Dubs or Kerry.

I can remember him getting stick from a wee kid sitting on the fence behind the goals in the 2014 replay! Whatever the wee lad said was enough to get a retort anyway.

JoG2

Ye'd want to think about changing the old username there  :)

Did Morgan not hit a long free against Donegal, cup the ear to the crowd and couldn't hit snow off a rope for the remainder of the game, hence the giggling from the masses?

Re Peter Harte, a serious footballer, one the best in the business

grounded

Quote from: JoG2 on July 17, 2017, 10:28:30 PM

Ye'd want to think about changing the old username there  :)

Did Morgan not hit a long free against Donegal, cup the ear to the crowd and couldn't hit snow off a rope for the remainder of the game, hence the giggling from the masses?

Re Peter Harte, a serious footballer, one the best in the business

Nah,  i think they do have the quality to match the Dubs or Kerry this year,  particular as its big Seans last Swandive ahem song.

tyroneman

Quote from: ONeill on July 17, 2017, 09:17:35 PM

This is a point to watch. Against Donegal it was the same. After 45/50, Mickey emptied the bench and Tyrone conceded a right bit albeit with the game dead and buried. We'll know soon whether this is a worrying trend late in games or simply holding back.

Joe mcQuillan did his best to help the Down scoreboard tick over in the last 15min. Some of the frees given ( and not given the other end) were scandalous.

omaghjoe

Quote from: tyroneman on July 18, 2017, 07:19:13 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 17, 2017, 09:17:35 PM

Joe mcQuillan did his best to help the Down scoreboard tick over in the last 15min. Some of the frees given ( and not given the other end) were scandalous.

Very true. I have alot of confidence in the defence the organisation, dicipline, skill in the tackle, concentration and shear relentlesness has been immense