Ulster Final: Tyrone v Down 16/07/17 14.00 Clones

Started by omagh_gael, June 22, 2017, 10:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Monaghan huge favourites to meet ourselves in the Ulster final this year. In fact, there's been many a Freudian slip with commentators/journalists/players saying it's a done deal. Can Down spoil the party? Unlikely.

I have been doing a bit of research regarding the future routes of both the winner and loser of this game:

Winner

Meets round 4b qualifier in the quarter final on the 05/08/17 alongside the Leinster champions QF who also meet a team from the 'B' side of the draw (more than likely will be a double header with Dublin in Croker).

(teams in the 'B' side include Leitrim, London, Carlow, Wexford, Westmeath, Offaly, Clare, Limerick , Tipperary, Down, Armagh, Cavan, Monaghan, Fermanagh)

As the winner of the Ulster final can't meet their Ulster final opponents in the QF they will meet the Leinster runner up (assuming they win their round4 qualifier). The form book at this stage means the Ulster QF could be Tyrone/Monaghan/Down v Kildare.

Loser

The loser of the Ulster final will be out again on the 29/07/17 against a round 3b winner from the teams above. The Leinster loser will also fall into the 'B' side of the draw. Therefore, the loser of the Ulster final (assuming they get through round 4 of the qualifiers will more than likely meet Dublin in a QF as they can't meet the Ulster final winner).

My prediction is:

Ulster final - Tyrone v Monaghan (Tyrone to win, of course!)

Leinster final - Dublin v Kildare (Dubs to win

R4 Qualifier

Kildare v AN other (Kildare to win)

Monaghan v AN other (Monaghan to win)

Quarter finals

Tyrone v Kildare

Dublin v Monaghan

Pie in the sky at this distance, however, those would be two excellent QFs. Would Croker be fit for that double header? They managed it last year with Tyrone, Mayo, Donegal and Dublin. Would be some day out!

westbound

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 22, 2017, 10:12:37 AM
Monaghan huge favourites to meet ourselves in the Ulster final this year. In fact, there's been many a Freudian slip with commentators/journalists/players saying it's a done deal. Can Down spoil the party? Unlikely.

I have been doing a bit of research regarding the future routes of both the winner and loser of this game:

Winner

Meets round 4b qualifier in the quarter final on the 05/08/17 alongside the Leinster champions QF who also meet a team from the 'B' side of the draw (more than likely will be a double header with Dublin in Croker).

(teams in the 'B' side include Leitrim, London, Roscommon, Carlow, Wexford, Westmeath, Offaly, Clare, Limerick , Tipperary, Down, Armagh, Cavan, Monaghan, Fermanagh)

As the winner of the Ulster final can't meet their Ulster final opponents in the QF they will meet the Leinster runner up (assuming they win their round4 qualifier). The form book at this stage means the Ulster QF could be Tyrone/Monaghan/Down v Kildare.

Loser

The loser of the Ulster final will be out again on the 29/07/17 against a round 3b winner from the teams above. The Leinster loser will also fall into the 'B' side of the draw. Therefore, the loser of the Ulster final (assuming they get through round 4 of the qualifiers will more than likely meet Dublin in a QF as they can't meet the Ulster final winner).

My prediction is:

Ulster final - Tyrone v Monaghan (Tyrone to win, of course!)

Leinster final - Dublin v Kildare (Dubs to win

R4 Qualifier

Kildare v AN other (Kildare to win)

Monaghan v AN other (Monaghan to win)

Quarter finals

Tyrone v Kildare

Dublin v Monaghan

Pie in the sky at this distance, however, those would be two excellent QFs. Would Croker be fit for that double header? They managed it last year with Tyrone, Mayo, Donegal and Dublin. Would be some day out!

Roscommon are on the 'A' side of the draw after reaching the connacht final

omagh_gael

WT4E

My prediction

It'll be the 4 provincial winners in the semi finals - leaving the qualifiers pointless once again.

Tyrone v Dublin
Galway v Kerry

A very traditional look to it! :)

Jayop

Can't argue with the prediction for the Ulster and Leinster sides of the draw. It'll be...

Dublin vs Ulster Loser
Ulster Winner vs Kildare

As I think Tyrone will win the Ulster final then it'll be Dublin vs Monaghan and Tyrone Vs Kildare. There's no-one in that side fo the qualifiers good enough to get through to a quarter final other than the provincial losers.

As for the other side of the draw, I think Mayo and Donegal will have something to say about the quarter finals yet, Mayo especially. How often have Mayo looked poor early only to ramp up as the year goes on.

omagh_gael

Ironically, would the Ulster loser (if they reach the QF) be in a better position to challenge Dublin? Meeting them slightly earlier in the year and minus Dermot Connolly?

Jayop

Meh, even f he's back for the semi final he'll not have been full training with the team (at least in public) so for me any game apart from the final will still have that Connolly advantage.

Fuzzman

Interesting looking that far ahead lads and it looks like a clash with the Dubs is inevitable this year should we get that far. Omagh_gael I was thinking about that as well though Donegal beat them in the semifinal stage in 2014.

Back to the Ulster final topic.
At the start of last year not many in Tyrone would have been thinking of putting two Ulster titles back to back as we hadn't won one for years but we rather surprisingly find ourselves in that position now.

Back in 1975-76 Derry retained their Ulster title but it wasn't done again until 1995-96 by Tyrone.
That is a very long time with a new winner every year so it was a very competitive championship.

Armagh of course became very dominant in Ulster during the 2000s winning 3 in a row from 2004-2006 with Tyrone biting at their ankles.
Donegal joined the group of back to back winners in 2011-12 after Tyrone had done the same in the previous two years.

Regarding overall titles, Cavan still lead the way with 37 but Monaghan are next with 16 and Tyrone and Armagh both have 14.
Down beat Monaghan 5 years ago in the semi back in 2012 but for many it will be a big shock if they repeat that feat.

Jayop

Yeah barring a complete disaster we'll play the Dubs this year.

If we lose Ulster then we have to play against one of these...Leitrim, London, Carlow, Wexford, Westmeath, Offaly, Clare, Limerick , Tipperary, Down, Armagh, Cavan,  Fermanagh to get the chance to play them in the quarter.

If we win Ulster then  play one of those or Kildare to get to play them in the Semifinal.

There's none of those teams that should really stand any hope against Tyrone apart from maybe this resurgent Kildare. That said I'd rather take my chances against them in a Quarter just to progress that bit deeper.

We've been to 3 semi-finals since we last won an All-ireland, against kerry in 2015, Mayo in 2013 and Cork in 2009. We've not shown up at all in any of those games and I'm sure this panel would love to put that right.

seafoid

Cavan have an amazing record but apart from 97 the ulsters were won pre 1960. Most of Monaghan's are very old too. It is interesting that Tyrone have overtaken Down . Thuas seal thíos seal.   I wouldn't be surprised if Down got a result against Monaghan.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jayop

Quote from: seafoid on June 22, 2017, 05:13:35 PM
Cavan have an amazing record but apart from 97 the ulsters were won pre 1960. Most of Monaghan's are very old too. It is interesting that Tyrone have overtaken Down . Thuas seal thíos seal.   I wouldn't be surprised if Down got a result against Monaghan.

Aye, this is a biggie to win too as it'll put us infront of Armagh into 3rd place on our own and only 1 behind Monaghan. We'd still be 22 short of Cavan lol so that might take a while to close the gap!

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Jayop on June 22, 2017, 05:16:08 PM

Aye, this is a biggie to win too as it'll put us infront of Armagh into 3rd place on our own and only 1 behind Monaghan. We'd still be 22 short of Cavan lol so that might take a while to close the gap!

Mickey Harte will stay at the helm until Tyrone overtake Cavan on the Ulster roll of honour.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 22, 2017, 07:53:12 PM
Quote from: Jayop on June 22, 2017, 05:16:08 PM

Mickey Harte will stay at the helm until Tyrone overtake Cavan on the Ulster roll of honour.
;D ;D
Nah Cavans are lala land sure they were straight into the final for half those anyway.

I think Monaghan will do for Mickey. We overtook them this year in McKenna Cup and we should catch them soon in the UC
Spirit of '88 #neverforget

Main Street

The Ulster finalists will meet again in the semi final if both teams win their subsequent games?

omagh_gael

Yeah, one of us would need to take Dublin out first for that to happen. We'll leave that to you sure!