Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shantygael

Quote from: snoopdog on July 31, 2019, 08:44:34 PM
Could anyone recommend a good tyre. I have a Santa fe and it eats front tyres. Have had vredisan davanti and an Asian brand I can't think of name. But they don't last much longer than a year on average miles. Is this usual for a SUV?     
I have used hankooks(rears) on a BMW 325d and got 25000 miles(2.5 years) out of them and I would say that's average. Something badly wrong  if you're changing once a year unless you're doing  at least 25000 miles per year. Davanti=budget as probably asian ,won't last long
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

BenDover

Quote from: BenDover on May 09, 2019, 07:55:19 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 08, 2019, 01:45:46 PM
Quote from: BenDover on May 04, 2019, 08:33:18 PM
Quote from: BenDover on April 25, 2019, 12:23:12 PM
I'm after some advice for 2 different problems  :'( :'(
Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 2008 - there last week when I went to start the car it made a kind of whirring noise - like something was spinning under the bonnet but wouldn't start first time. Turned of and tried a second time and car started no problem. This happened a few days in a row but then this week it's been starting no bother - any ideas? I've it booked into the garage for monday thinking it maybe the starter motor playing up. Recently fitted a new battery.

Ford S-Max 2.0 Automatic 2015 - within the last 2 weeks this car has been firing up a Transmission Function Limited or Transmission Malfunction message. With the limited message car goes into limp mode but won't go into reverse. On the Malfunction message no power goes to the wheels at all. Turning the car off and on clears the message for a short while. This car was ex mobility has 45k miles on it atm. We had it at a Ford dealer last week who told us the gearbox is meant to be serviced @ 37.5k miles or every 3 years whichever comes first. I got them to service the gearbox in the hope that would help, did Donegal over Easter weekend no bother but the Transmission messages came back on the other day. Has anyone ever had bother like this before? New gearbox is £2.5-3k when the cars driving everything seems fine there's no chugging between gear changes so I'm hopeful it's more electrical than mechanical.

I connected an OBDII to the car and this fault code appeared:
U0415 - invalid data received from the ABS control module.

I'm a little more hopeful that the issue isn't with the gearbox but with the ABS sensor/unit am I being too optimistic? Booked in with Ford on the 14th
Lindsay's in Craigavon? Personally I'd find a reputable local garage with all the diagnostic gear, as Lindsay's will put the arm in past the elbow and potentially still not fix it. I got landed with a bill from them in the past for £1200 for something that still wasn't fixed.

Not the recommendation I was hoping for. For them to begin the diagnostics and plug the computer on it's £90. So I can easily see how you ended up with a bill of £1200, but for the problem not to be resolved that's woeful. Hopefully I've a better experience. I'll let you know. We do tend to use PittStop in Armagh but when the initial Transmission malfunction message appeared they recommended bringing it to a Ford garage after hooking it up to their computer.

Update on this mess! Found a local mechanic that pulled the gearbox out had a look at it and apparently Ford are using plastic components inside the gearbox. Anyway it shipped over to Al Transmissions in London who stripped, cleaned and rebuilt it, put it in an SMax over there for a few days before sending it back. After a week in Killarney with a fair bit of cruising around with no gearbox problems can comfortably say the car is back in great condition. Al Transmission are rebuilding ford gearboxes all week how can a car company ignore there shitty build quality? Anyway saved myself £1000 going down this route.

snoopdog

Quote from: shantygael on August 01, 2019, 02:32:12 AM
Could anyone recommend a good tyre. I have a Santa fe and it eats front tyres. Have had vredisan davanti and an Asian brand I can't think of name. But they don't last much longer than a year on average miles. Is this usual for a SUV?     
I have used hankooks(rears) on a BMW 325d and got 25000 miles(2.5 years) out of them and I would say that's average. Something badly wrong  if you're changing once a year unless you're doing  at least 25000 miles per year. Davanti=budget as probably asian ,won't last long
Tyres are wearing evenly so it must be to do with the weight of the Santa fe.

GJL

Quote from: snoopdog on August 01, 2019, 12:10:56 PM

What mileage are you actually talking about?

snoopdog

Quote from: GJL on August 01, 2019, 02:20:36 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on August 01, 2019, 12:10:56 PM

What mileage are you actually talking about?
[/quote

BennyCake

Big puff of smoke from exhaust earlier (diesel). Wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, just cruising along. Happened a couple weeks ago too.

Dirty fuel filter maybe?

GJL

Quote from: BennyCake on September 06, 2019, 05:14:38 PM
Big puff of smoke from exhaust earlier (diesel). Wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, just cruising along. Happened a couple weeks ago too.

Dirty fuel filter maybe?

Possibly the DPF regeneration. Totally normal. It's basically it cleaning itself out.

HiMucker

Anyone have any experience on where I stand with this one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Right car all of sudden wouldnt start and had to be towed to the mechanics. Needed it fixed quick as we were going on holidays. Mechanic says no chance, so as its a Discovery, and the fact the mechanic knew we were on holidays, I reckon he didnt even look at it for a couple of weeks bar checking to see if it was anything simple. Well it turns out it was, it was filled to the neck with petrol instead of diesel. He didnt notice at first because when he checked the fuel lines there was still diesel in them. The petrol station we got the fuel from is in Donegal, and we have a pretty good relationship with them as we have an account and get all the vehicles from work filled there and would never have them filled anywhere else. So I let them know the bad news the other day and they were quite defensive. Said the cctv doesnt go back that far. I asked what does that prove, as they aren't disputing they filled it up on that date as it was signed for?? They asked to bring a sample of the fuel down, and as soon as the car is fixed I have about 60 litres to bring back to them! Other than them saying I could have got it filled up elsewhere, which would be a stupid thing to say considering the relationship, not to mention the fact you would just go to the garage that actually filled it up, I dont know what there POV is? So far it has cost me the fuel and at least £200 with the mechanic. I would be expecting at least the cost of the fuel back, but in truth would also expect them to cover the cost of the repair, though I expect this is going to be a struggle. If thats the case could you make a claim against their insurance? Anyone any idea where I stand on this? Some people have said they think it will be tough luck, but I just dont see why I should be out the cost through a mistake that was no fault of my own?

trailer

Quote from: HiMucker on September 12, 2019, 01:38:04 PM
Anyone have any experience on where I stand with this one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Right car all of sudden wouldnt start and had to be towed to the mechanics. Needed it fixed quick as we were going on holidays. Mechanic says no chance, so as its a Discovery, and the fact the mechanic knew we were on holidays, I reckon he didnt even look at it for a couple of weeks bar checking to see if it was anything simple. Well it turns out it was, it was filled to the neck with petrol instead of diesel. He didnt notice at first because when he checked the fuel lines there was still diesel in them. The petrol station we got the fuel from is in Donegal, and we have a pretty good relationship with them as we have an account and get all the vehicles from work filled there and would never have them filled anywhere else. So I let them know the bad news the other day and they were quite defensive. Said the cctv doesnt go back that far. I asked what does that prove, as they aren't disputing they filled it up on that date as it was signed for?? They asked to bring a sample of the fuel down, and as soon as the car is fixed I have about 60 litres to bring back to them! Other than them saying I could have got it filled up elsewhere, which would be a stupid thing to say considering the relationship, not to mention the fact you would just go to the garage that actually filled it up, I dont know what there POV is? So far it has cost me the fuel and at least £200 with the mechanic. I would be expecting at least the cost of the fuel back, but in truth would also expect them to cover the cost of the repair, though I expect this is going to be a struggle. If thats the case could you make a claim against their insurance? Anyone any idea where I stand on this? Some people have said they think it will be tough luck, but I just dont see why I should be out the cost through a mistake that was no fault of my own?

So you're saying the Diesel tank at the station had Petrol in it? Surely there would be more than you complaining if that was the case?

BennyCake

Can't help thinking of Bishop Len Brennan reading that.

In all seriousness, thats a stickler than one, so it is HiMucker. Hope you get it sorted.

HiMucker

Quote from: trailer on September 12, 2019, 02:42:43 PM

So you're saying the Diesel tank at the station had Petrol in it? Surely there would be more than you complaining if that was the case?
No Im saying their attendant lifted the wrong hose and put it in the car. The fuel cap on the car is clearly marked Diesel, and the same guy as filled it up a 100 times previously. I can only imagine he had a brain fart.

trailer

Quote from: HiMucker on September 12, 2019, 03:12:40 PM
Quote from: trailer on September 12, 2019, 02:42:43 PM

No Im saying their attendant lifted the wrong hose and put it in the car. The fuel cap on the car is clearly marked Diesel, and the same guy as filled it up a 100 times previously. I can only imagine he had a brain fart.

Right, ahhy. I'd say you're gonna have to buck that goat.

general_lee

I'd like to think they're liable. One of their employees filled your car with the wrong fuel? They haven't really got a leg to stand on, do they?

giveherlong

I have a Parrot CK3100 hands free kit in the car. Never had any bother with it until a couple of weeks ago. A number of times it wouldn't work and was just sitting with the backlight on and "goodbye" on the screen despite the ignition being turned off and car even locked.  Disconnecting the battery terminal worked for a while.
Now it's not powering up at all and when I do a disconnect at the battery for 5 mins it lights up and then " no signal" appears on screen for a short while and then the unit goes blank. Anyone experienced similar problems or have any suggestions?

balladmaker

My car was parked at a packed GAA field carpark directly behind the goals.  A high ball went over the netting behind the goals and landed right in the middle of the car bonnet.  Brought the car to a body repair shop, was told the car needed a new bonnet, with an all in price of £550.

Now the car is on a PCP deal which runs out next April.  I intend in handing the car back at the end of the deal.  My question is should I pay the £550 to get the car repaired, or just land back with it to the garage and see what they will charge ... anyone have any experience of returning a damaged car on a PCP deal? Thanks.

Yes, that was an expensive club game to attend!