Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: DennistheMenace on August 21, 2009, 04:10:31 PM
Forrest Gump - One of my favourite movies of our generation. 9.9/10
What a film. Heard good things about it but was unsure until I wastched it. Absolute movie brilliance, Tom Hanks was perfect as Forrest. Even an Oscar Nominated film has tried to copy the basic theme!
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

ziggysego

Just back from Inglourious Basterds. Brilliant film. Vintage Quentin. Brad Pitt and Christoph Waltz were first class in it.
Testing Accessibility

Capt Pat

Basterds is Typical Tarantino, some funny moments in it. Waltz was very good, acting in 4 different languages is pretty impressive.

Eastern_Pride

Just rented The Damned United there. Its actually fairy good yere man Sheen is very good as Clough. I'd recommend this anyday.
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Tony Baloney

The Constant Gardener on itv now is a decent show.

tbrick18

I thought the Constant Gardener was a terrible film...very slow and depressing.
I watched Babel last night with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. I thought it was excellent.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tbrick18 on August 23, 2009, 12:51:01 PM
I watched Babel last night with Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. I thought it was excellent.
Watch High School Musical if you don't like movies dealing with depressing issues.

In contrast I thought Babel was self-indulgent shit. Trying too hard to be profound I'm afraid.

Canalman

Got the new Coen Bros flick out on DVD..... Burn after Reading. Very average imo and not worth a watch.

Tony Baloney

It got a fair bit of love on here but, like yourself, I wouldn't rate it.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Main Street

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 21, 2009, 03:50:18 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 21, 2009, 02:15:55 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on August 21, 2009, 12:46:18 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 19, 2009, 10:58:05 AM
Mesrine (Part 1): Killer Instinct

Great gangster movie, in French with subtitles; a lot of violence, but that only mirrors the reality of Mesrine's life. Some boyo he was.

Saw it last Saturday.....good film.

Aye. Part 2, Public Enemy Number One, is out next Friday, and looking forward to seeing that.

Might take it in, on the basis of the 1st film. Mrs Playwiththewind not overly impressed last week - she doesn't like too much violence, so is neither keen on French gangster movies, or hurling for that matter.

I watched nr 2 last night.
Still a great gripping gangster movie. As good as you can get.
This is not a spoiler.
The filmmakers a few times decided to let you know in part 2 how it ended. Maybe they even showed the ending in part1
When you get to the end part of the film, for about 15 minutes you have a razor sharp tension gradually built up and brilliantly translated to screen
But it is a bit like watching a recording of a gripping football game on TV and some idiot decides to shout out who won.

Vincent Cassel gives an outstanding performance as Mesrine.

Capt Pat

Yes I think the ending has already been given away in part 1. It won't take away from the film I think. I assume most French people know how it ends as it is a true story. It is a bit like watching The General or Ordinary Decent Criminal for them.

tbrick18

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 23, 2009, 01:02:48 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on August 23, 2009, 12:51:01 PM
Watch High School Musical if you don't like movies dealing with depressing issues.

In contrast I thought Babel was self-indulgent shit. Trying too hard to be profound I'm afraid.

Its hard to beat teenagers singing and dancing....I love a good musical!
I cant see how you though Babel was any more self-indulgent than Constant Gardener?
I thought the story in Babel was good, and the acting very good.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 24, 2009, 01:06:24 AM
Yes I think the ending has already been given away in part 1. It won't take away from the film I think. I assume most French people know how it ends as it is a true story. It is a bit like watching The General or Ordinary Decent Criminal for them.

Are the opening 5 mins of part 1 not a preview of how it all ends up?

Main Street

Yes and that preview is shown at least one time in part 2.

I suppose it is some anti delusional/anti bourgeois filmmaking technique to remind us of the inevitable fate that awaited Jacques as the consequence for his actions ::)
Maybe many in France knew the gangsters fate but how many would have known the details of how the end came about?
however it is only a very small gripe to have overall about the film.