Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 16, 2009, 09:14:07 AM
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is very, very good.

Good in bits. As said, a bit of overkill and very Forrest Gump-ish at times.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

SidelineKick

From a few years back but I loved The Legend of Bagger Vance.  Haven't seen it in ages!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on January 16, 2009, 10:19:32 AM
What was the appeal for you nrico?
I thought the Curious Case of Benjamin Button was alright, interesting but not outstanding.

I was irritated by the overdose and overkill with CGI, looked so obviously fake.
Has a wee thing (or so I've heard) for Brad Pitt.

See Will Smith is over touting 7 Pounds. Anyone seen it?

screenexile

Watched Valkyrie last night. Thought it was decent enough except for the whole accents thing. It starts with Cruise writing in his diary and saying a monologue in German, then towards the end of the entry they mesh it wth Engish and then someone calls him in English and the whole cast are either Engllish or American and speak with a normal accent. Good storyline and if nobody knows the real life story it is very interesting.

Watched the wrestler recently and thought it was the biggest pile of steaming turd I've seen in a long time. Really artsy and boring imo I didn't like it at all, and I usually love wrestling.

Also saw Fros Nixon which is also very interesting if nobody knows the story behind it. Very well acted too I thought although Frost is somewhat of a smug git.

I have changeling and 7 pounds to watch now over the weekend. Only thing to do when off the booze!!

Hank Everlast

i watched revolutionary road and 7 pounds last weekend, both very good, tho rev road would be one of the most depressing films i have seen.

nrico2006

QuoteFrom a few years back but I loved The Legend of Bagger Vance.  Haven't seen it in ages!

Same here, one of my favourites and probably like Benjamin Button for the same reason in that its a bit mystical.  I have Seven Pounds at the house, probably watch it tonight. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 16, 2009, 12:51:54 PM
It's a very well made chick flick.
Could have been called  'a benevolent path to self destruction'
with the inevitable bit of romance thrown in.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on January 16, 2009, 01:42:28 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 16, 2009, 12:51:54 PM
It's a very well made chick flick.
Could have been called  'a benevolent path to self destruction'
with the inevitable bit of romance thrown in.

No doubt with a gratuitous scene with Will Smith with his top off for the ladies? Since he bulked up for Ali I think he has it written into his contract that he has to have his shirt off at least once in every movie!

Quote from: Hank Everlast on January 16, 2009, 01:17:25 PM
i watched revolutionary road and 7 pounds last weekend, both very good, tho rev road would be one of the most depressing films i have seen.
In a good way?!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on January 16, 2009, 01:00:33 PM
Watched Valkyrie last night. Thought it was decent enough except for the whole accents thing. It starts with Cruise writing in his diary and saying a monologue in German, then towards the end of the entry they mesh it wth Engish and then someone calls him in English and the whole cast are either Engllish or American and speak with a normal accent. Good storyline and if nobody knows the real life story it is very interesting.

do Hollywood really bother with accents anymore? Sean Connery has been a Scotsman in every movie he's made, including a role as a Russian submarine commander in the Hunt for Red October!

The Iceman

Taken - Liam Neeson - best film I've seen in a long time.  Have Gran Turino to watch this weekend so looking forward to that based on the above reports - thank God for torrents.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

tyrone86

Saw Pride and Glory with Ed Norton and Colin Farrell, an enjoyable enough way to kill 2 hours

nrico2006

I thought taken was good.  I have Prode and Glory to watch and hopef to see it this weekend also.  Might hit the Cinema tonight to see Defiance. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

canice lynch

Watched Eden Lake recently. very good believable horror movie. Def worth watchin!! Also seen The strangers which is one of them jumpy horror movies but its based on a true story so not bad either..

GaillimhIarthair

Went to see Slumdog Millionaire in the flicks last night.  Thought it was one of the best films I have seen in ages.  Highly Recommended.

pintsofguinness

Gran Torino - absolutely brilliant, great ending. 
Bangkok Dangerous - decent, worth a watch.
Eagle Eye - run of the mill thriller. 
Wanted - not great imo, James McAvoy was the wrong actor, he's no hitman.
The Express - American football film about Ernie Davies, decent show, worth a watch.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?