Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 07, 2018, 02:41:04 PM
Did Liatroim not win an Ulster title at intermediate or at least come very close to it way back at the inception of the competition when they had Doyle and McCrickard and McCartan etc just burst onto the scene.

Before Warrenpoints Ulster title success didnt they also lose an Ulster Final in Extra time to eventual AI Winners?

The same day i think Kilcoo were pipped by Cross maybe. A final remembered unfortunately for alleged reacist comments to a player.

Yep, first year of it and no All Ireland series at the time. 1998 as per Maiden's link - same year that we beat Kilcoo in both intermediate final and division 2 league final...how times have changed!

Maiden1

Quote from: lfdown2 on November 07, 2018, 04:43:26 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 07, 2018, 02:41:04 PM
Did Liatroim not win an Ulster title at intermediate or at least come very close to it way back at the inception of the competition when they had Doyle and McCrickard and McCartan etc just burst onto the scene.

Before Warrenpoints Ulster title success didnt they also lose an Ulster Final in Extra time to eventual AI Winners?

The same day i think Kilcoo were pipped by Cross maybe. A final remembered unfortunately for alleged reacist comments to a player.

Yep, first year of it and no All Ireland series at the time. 1998 as per Maiden's link - same year that we beat Kilcoo in both intermediate final and division 2 league final...how times have changed!
I think Kilcoo had only been promoted from division 3 the year before.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

ardtole

I remember kilcoo in div 3 alright. Serious progress since then and no sign of slowing up. Definitely the benchmark for all clubs and inspirational for all small clubs in particular.

downjim

I said it plenty of times before then Kilcoo and the Bridge came through the divisions and worked hard. I remember our seconds beating the Bridge seniors in div 4 around early 80s. These small clubs should be an inspiration to all small clubs in Down. Hard work pays off but the cream always sits on the top 😉😁

Petergriffin1

Agree with Downjim, I hear its Saulduff plus other clubs also. Surely cheating? Burren should give them a game.

Lecale Gael

Quote from: Petergriffin1 on November 08, 2018, 09:08:44 AM
Agree with Downjim, I hear its Saulduff plus other clubs also. Surely cheating? Burren should give them a game.

No, not cheating under the competition rules. agree should be a good contest.
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Mourne Rover

Downjim, I probably should not bother, and no doubt you are correct to point out that Mayobridge lost a league game to an unheralded D4 side back in the early 1980s. However, some of us can recall that, during exactly the same period, Burren lost a championship match to Teconnaught, who were rank outsiders at the time and have spent the last few seasons in would you believe D4. Hard work can pay off regardless of a club's grading.

champion1981

glad to see downjim has got over their hammering in ulster and back to his good old self again😁,

Petergriffin1

Lecale Gael, maybe not cheating but surely Carryduff and Saul both good enough to compete? Don't think it would mean as much winning a championship with some lads you maybe don't even know. What jerseys do they wear? Hopefully Kerr will be fit...

Lecale Gael

Quote from: Petergriffin1 on November 08, 2018, 01:59:27 PM
Lecale Gael, maybe not cheating but surely Carryduff and Saul both good enough to compete? Don't think it would mean as much winning a championship with some lads you maybe don't even know. What jerseys do they wear? Hopefully Kerr will be fit...

Carryduff will wear their own jerseys as I see that is the team listed in the fixtures.

I presume any player(s) from any other clubs are involved by way of sanction to play for the duration of the competition because their own team not in the competition. I recall last season carryduff did similar and won the championship.

Maybe Burren can get players in from Bosco, Mitchels or Rostrevor next year if they so desire  ;D

I see Bryansford play Mayobridge in the other semi final.
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Smurfy123

Burren could try get players from Tullylish Rostrevor CPN or any of the Newry clubs
Oh wait!!!

downjim

Oh he comes Smurfy with his smugness. Great year for the point, 3rd in league and we should have beat Kilcoo. Now can someone find me a pitch in the Point.

elk

Quote from: downjim on November 08, 2018, 04:11:15 PM
Oh he comes Smurfy with his smugness. Great year for the point, 3rd in league and we should have beat Kilcoo. Now can someone find me a pitch in the Point.
There is one across from Mary Queen of Peace

Petergriffin1

The ford vs Mayobridge should be a good game also both doing well. Will be an interesting two games!!

Ulsterman09

Frank Dawson Brendan Mason and some fella Frank McVeigh for kilcoo job