Ashers cake controversy.

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2014, 06:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sensethetone

i think it is reverse discrimination.

Myles Na G.

If the bakers had said, 'we're happy to bake you a cake, but we have a policy of refusing to decorate cakes with political slogans' then they may have been within their rights. What is unclear, however, is whether they refused simply because they disapprove of gay weddings. If that's the case, then they're in the wrong, whether they've been the target of spiteful targeting or not. If you allow people providing the public with a service the right to exercise their personal beliefs, where does that stop? Maybe another baker would refuse to bake a cake for a mixed race wedding, or a Catholic-Protestant wedding, or the wedding of an immigrant couple. Then there'd be the bar owner who'd refuse to serve Jews, or people of colour, or Irish...

JUst retired

Surely there are plenty of instances in Ireland,north and south where travellers have been refused to hold weddings in some establishments?

Bingo

Quote from: Sidney on November 08, 2014, 12:54:38 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 07, 2014, 09:42:25 PM
That business should be entitled to refuse the bumbashers request.
It was a priest that wanted the cake? Good to hear about somebody in the Catholic Church with tolerant views for a change.

The priest was the groom....well one of them.

orangeman

Quote from: JUst retired on November 08, 2014, 08:03:10 AM
Surely there are plenty of instances in Ireland,north and south where travellers have been refused to hold weddings in some establishments?

Not that long ago, shops in the north were told / instructed / encouraged that they shouldn't do business with certain people / organisations. People from religious divides were discouraged from working in particular places.

The law my arse.

omagh_gael

Would a gay baker be happy baking a 'Marriage is between a man and woman' cake?

Not gay bashing here btw.

Throw ball

Quote from: Myles Na G. on November 08, 2014, 07:58:29 AM
If the bakers had said, 'we're happy to bake you a cake, but we have a policy of refusing to decorate cakes with political slogans' then they may have been within their rights. What is unclear, however, is whether they refused simply because they disapprove of gay weddings. If that's the case, then they're in the wrong, whether they've been the target of spiteful targeting or not. If you allow people providing the public with a service the right to exercise their personal beliefs, where does that stop? Maybe another baker would refuse to bake a cake for a mixed race wedding, or a Catholic-Protestant wedding, or the wedding of an immigrant couple. Then there'd be the bar owner who'd refuse to serve Jews, or people of colour, or Irish...

Although your point is well made in the market place this should lead to the business getting less business and therefore affecting their future profitability. A punishment of sorts.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Bingo on November 08, 2014, 08:39:35 AM
Quote from: Sidney on November 08, 2014, 12:54:38 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 07, 2014, 09:42:25 PM
That business should be entitled to refuse the bumbashers request.
It was a priest that wanted the cake? Good to hear about somebody in the Catholic Church with tolerant views for a change.

The priest was the groom....well one of them.
Unfunny by you two

Completely uncalled for

All I can say is that you both come across here as a pair of pricks

lynchbhoy

I actually think the baker was at least morally wrong to refuse them

But I don't think he can be accountable in law

Def don't think the courts in the north would find against him if he trots out the old ' right to refuse! Line

I know of a few wedding/event venues that will prob refuse to hold weddings for a certain 'ethnic minority' new to the locality after one of their weddings two weeks ago wrecked the venue, slashed a young barman in the face ( he still may yet lose sight in one eye) and attacked other staff after a row broke out amongst the party.
These were not travellers or foreigners either.
I don't think the venue will have to answer to the law for refusing such business in future!

But a far cry from making a fecking cake !!

Maguire01

I don't think this case has a hope of success, and it makes a mockery of the equality agenda, in my opinion. Listening to the radio this week, it's clear that even those in the LGBT groups aren't enthusiastic about it.

Personally, i'd have no time for this bakery, given its position on this. But it didn't refuse to serve a gay person. That, for me, is the crucial point, in terms of equality.

And some of the homophobic comments on this thread are depressing.

seafoid

Bringing this through the courts is going too far.
Why didn't they just go to a gay friendly bakery ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on November 07, 2014, 06:36:39 PM
Anyone else think this is totally moronic,dragging this Belfast bakery company through the courts for "discrimination " on account of its refusal to ice a logo of support on a cake in support of gay marriage?

No its not moronic. They may not win the case but part of the Commission's brief is to take these cases to help define the law. The precise line of the law will not be defined in statute and there needs a common law decision

It would howver be moronic to conclude that if they bring the case and lose that they are automatically morons.

LCohen

Quote from: orangeman on November 07, 2014, 11:10:34 PM
If someone came into the bakery and asked them to bake a cake glorifying Islamic State or AL Qaeda, would some govt body take this on ?.

Yes (if a complaint was made)

LCohen

Quote from: orangeman on November 08, 2014, 12:18:28 AM
Quote from: Olly on November 08, 2014, 12:10:07 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 07, 2014, 11:10:34 PM
If someone came into the bakery and asked them to bake a cake glorifying Islamic State or AL Qaeda, would some govt body take this on ?.

Completely OTT.

You should get a job in the media for the crack.

My point, although not well made, is who or what decides what is acceptable or unacceptable behaviour ?.

The law does - hence the case

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on November 08, 2014, 06:32:48 AM
It seems to me this bakery was deliberately chosen by one of the gay men concerned in the full prior knowledge that it wouldn't comply with his request.That is the greatest travesty of justice,deliberate targeting of Christian businesses to see if they will act contrary to their beliefs.

It could all backfire if the court decides that Christian businesses have a right to uphold their beliefs in the world of commerce.

Spiritualists have the right to believe how they like - but their actions have to be within the law.

You or I do not have the right to pick and chose which laws we like.

This case will help define the law. Whatever the result bring it on