Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

My point was, it is not really 'imperative' the 2020 Down league is finished like other counties. As really it doesn't mean anything.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: supersub on January 24, 2021, 10:34:16 PM
My point was, it is not really 'imperative' the 2020 Down league is finished like other counties. As really it doesn't mean anything.

There was to be a winner in division 1... that's important... but with covid - nothing is really important except staying safe..

whitegoodman

I don't think anyway really cares about winning a league title that nobody cared about if you know what I mean.  Most of the games were glorified challenge matches.

6th sam

Wasn't there precedent set before with league final delayed into the following year, kilcoo Castlewellan a couple of years ago?
A league title is always prestigious and if public health advice allows this could go ahead when football allowed back, I would imagine

thewobbler

Quote from: 6th sam on January 25, 2021, 12:50:41 PM
Wasn't there precedent set before with league final delayed into the following year, kilcoo Castlewellan a couple of years ago?
A league title is always prestigious and if public health advice allows this could go ahead when football allowed back, I would imagine

The difference being that the previous league title was competitive tournament. 2020's was not.

Johnnysboys

I don't know how people keep sayin last year we're glorified challenge matches. I was at quite a few games that had the cut and thrust of every other season. Every team was at the same level in terms of fitness etc and the pace of the games got better as they developed. Clonduff were already guaranteed a place in the final but I think the other section had a few permutations so it could be awkward to finish because of that.

6th sam

Quote from: Johnnysboys on January 25, 2021, 02:15:05 PM
I don't know how people keep sayin last year we're glorified challenge matches. I was at quite a few games that had the cut and thrust of every other season. Every team was at the same level in terms of fitness etc and the pace of the games got better as they developed. Clonduff were already guaranteed a place in the final but I think the other section had a few permutations so it could be awkward to finish because of that.

Would agree re everybody being at same level , and as we had been starved of sport , it was great to be back at it. Fair play to Down GAA for getting so much of the season completed

thewobbler

Quote from: Johnnysboys on January 25, 2021, 02:15:05 PM

They might have been hard hitting. But without relegation to worry about, it's not league football. The format was designed specifically to give club footballers the best chance possible of having a fair and meaningful championship competition, and not to crown some club as winners of a league nobody gives a damn about.

Anyone who really wants to finish out such a competition, especially when we are pretty likely to have the same again this summer, should have a word with themselves.

whitegoodman

Would have to agree with this.  Plus a few of the matches I seen teams weren't even close to full strength.

I would be surprised if Clonduff or Kilcoo or Burren or whoever from the other section are too bothered about getting it played.

Now if CPN were in the final Smurfy would be demanding it were played  ;)

Smurfy123

Whitegoodman we would take a league title now
We haven't the titles that other clubs have
On the argument
I don't see why the 2020 league needs to be played
Put all into 2021

Johnnysboys

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 25, 2021, 04:20:19 PM
Would have to agree with this.  Plus a few of the matches I seen teams weren't even close to full strength.

I would be surprised if Clonduff or Kilcoo or Burren or whoever from the other section are too bothered about getting it played.

Now if CPN were in the final Smurfy would be demanding it were played  ;)

As it stood Clonduff were in the final and Burren v Bridge was in other section. If Burren won they were into final. If Bridge won it forced a three way playoff for final.. I'm sure Clonduff would love a league title for likes of Darren OHagan etc who have won nothing at club level.. After 2 disappointing championships I'm sure Burren would have loved a title too.. CPN would take your hand off for a title. There are only 2 titles handed out each year for senior clubs..

wobbller

The tightening of restrictions in the Free State is going to have implications
for the restart of any GAA activity.

SamFever

Allianz Leagues set to be delayed until end of March

supersub

Quote from: Johnnysboys on January 25, 2021, 11:07:38 AM
Quote from: supersub on January 24, 2021, 10:34:16 PM

There was to be a winner in division 1... that's important... but with covid - nothing is really important except staying safe..

Important yes, imperative no.

The fact Kilcoo were happy to void the game v Rostrevor at the end of the season when they technically had a chance of getting to the final/winning says it all. The leagues were glorified challenge matches, don't let anyone think anything else. A winner would be for league sponsor reasons more so than for any other reason. It really isn't important at this stage. It would have been if teams' league status depended on the outcome. However it doesn't.

Johnnysboys

Important yes, imperative no.

The fact Kilcoo were happy to void the game v Rostrevor at the end of the season when they technically had a chance of getting to the final/winning says it all. The leagues were glorified challenge matches, don't let anyone think anything else. A winner would be for league sponsor reasons more so than for any other reason. It really isn't important at this stage. It would have been if teams' league status depended on the outcome. However it doesn't.
[/quote]

Kilcoo couldn't get to the final - Clonduff were unbeaten in their section including their game v Kilcoo. So they were automatically there..

Big decisions tonight for the county board to elect new minor management. A lot of strong candidates included and some strong tickets.  Interview process is difficult at the minute but everyone gets the same process I suppose..