House fire in Omagh

Started by Lecale2, November 13, 2007, 08:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Just heard on the radio that there was a serious house fire in Omagh early this morning with a family of seven feared dead.
Shocking news.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Terrible tragedy indeed - their talking about it on Fat-boy Nolans show at the minute.

May their souls Rest in Peace
Tbc....

supersarsfields

Heard this aswell there. I think it took place in the Lammy Drive area. Shocking news.
Two parents and five young children lived in the house but No numbers of how many have died yet. 

Norf Tyrone

Heard this on breaking news on SKY a hour or so back. Shocking how easy a family can be wiped out.

It states that 5 bodies have been recovered and they are searching for two more. RIP.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Candyman

youngest child was only 6 months old and the oldest was only in P7...  :(

Louth Exile

I think it is the most heartbreaking thing I have heard on the news in a long time. May their souls rest in peace
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Square Ball

Terrible indeed:

From the BBC

A family of seven is feared dead 
A couple and their five young children are feared to have died in a house fire in Omagh, County Tyrone.
The fire service was called to the end-terrace house at Lammy Crescent just before 0500 GMT on Tuesday.

Earlier, neighbours put ladders up to first floor bedrooms, but were beaten back by the flames.

Deputy chief fire officer Louis Jones said: "In my 30 years of service, it has to be the largest loss of life in any house fire I have attended."

Firefighters with breathing apparatus were also beaten back by the flames.

It is understood the property was already well-alight when firefighters arrived.

The fire was so intense that the roof collapsed. It is believed the children feared dead range in age from an infant to a 13-year-old.

Parish priest Monsignor Joseph Donnelly said there was "disbelief and shock" in the community.

"It's hard to come to terms with the tragedy, that a family that was alive and well this time yesterday is gone," he said.

The alarm was raised at about 0500 GMT
Local councillor Paddy McGowan - a former firefighter - said it was "one of the worst tragedies" he had ever seen.

Mr McGowan said the family had lived there for about four years.

Red Cross emergency support volunteers have been at the scene, comforting neighbours and traumatised firefighters.

'Appalling tragedy'

Local SDLP councillor Dr Josephine Deehan told BBC News the community in Omagh was "stunned by this appalling tragedy".

"The mood here in Omagh is very sombre. Neighbours are standing round in small groups, some of them in tears," she said.

St Conor's Primary School near the house has been closed following the tragedy. Two of the children from the family feared dead went to the school.

The eldest girl, aged 13, went to a secondary school in the town while two other children were under school-age.

Members of the Northern Ireland Assembly expressed sympathy with the people of Omagh.

At the start of proceedings, Speaker William Hay said: "I have to say I have been approached from all sides in the House on the tragedy in Omagh last night.

"Our thoughts and our prayers are with the particular family and their family circle."

First and deputy first ministers Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness expressed their horror at the incident.

West Tyrone MP Pat Doherty said the scene was "almost beyond words".

"I spoke with the operational commander of the fire service and he said the intensity of the blaze was such that the whole of the inside of the house has collapsed in on itself," he said.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

ziggysego

Heard the news on this morning and my heart goes out to them and their family. I pray and hope they find the strength to deal with the hurt.
Testing Accessibility

spiritof91and94

TORGAEL

Puckoon

Jesus, thats shocking. Used to live in that area of the town - just heartbreaking to think of little ones taken away in such a manner. Anyone taken away like that even.
God bless them all.

AZOffaly

Awful, awful thing to happen. I feel sick thinking about it. There are no words.

DMarsden

Heartbreaking. Heard a first hand account on the news where a neighbour wept as he related that he was up at the windows and could see movement in one of the kids rooms but the heat was too much.

May they're gentle souls rest in peace.

ziggysego

I heard from first count that someone seen the mother upstairs with the youngest child, banging on the windows trying to get out. Hitting the window with toys and everything. Then the smoke got too much and she collapsed and not seen again.

Heart breaking as there was nothing he could do.
Testing Accessibility

clarshack

unreal. puts everything in perspective. RIP