Job Offer subject to a medical

Started by SuperDooperCooper, June 14, 2007, 02:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperDooperCooper

Lads a general question for the boyz on the board.
Has anyone out there done a medical before moving Jobs.
Have been offered a role subject to a medical and after 8 years of honest toil (and 1 of just toil after I discovered gaaboard.com) I have never done a medical.
Job is as a Project Manager so don't really know what they are after - will I have to mark Dooher \Galvin or worse Gearathy for 50 minutes......
Feedback greatly appreciated.

scalder

Did one before – it just involved blood pressure, weight, listened to my heart nothing invasive or involving needles, but I suppose some of them might involve a blood test and even a drug test but I doubt it in Ireland.

Gabriel_Hurl

I did one when I joined a large contractors in Dublin

standard stuff - blood pressure, weight etc - even the piss test

Declan

QuoteJob is as a Project Manager so don't really know what they are after

I presume you mean you don't know what to expect in the medical rather than the job ;) Though knowing PMs it's probably the latter!!!

It should be straightforward enough - Height/Wieght /Blood Pressure/ Urine sample and routine questions re your medical history. Is it related to your elgibilty for any Life /Health Insurance schemes with tthe new job?

Stay off the beer for a couple of nights before hand and you'll be grand. Best of luck

heganboy

a lot of companies will not make you an offer if you have illegal drugs in your system, that is why they need a medical as they will not be insured if they hire you. Its more (as usual) about them covering their own ass.
Unless of course its a physically demanding job with high stress levels- air traffic control, cop, etc in which case they need to be sure you can handle the day to day strains of the position...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Billys Boots

Quotea lot of companies will not make you an offer if you have illegal drugs in your system

If they do a THC test, it means they're checking if you've smoked dope in the past six months.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

stew

I have recruited approximately 20 people into Sprint and every single one of them lasted at least three years, up until last month that is when one of my recruits got sent for a drug test and failed it, has was sacked on the spot and I just found out that another boyo of mine got let go this morning for the same thing, we recently introduced a new policy and now we are subject to random testing. I dont care because I  never did them in my life but I know two bhoys that are thinking of going out on short term disability for a couple of months to make sure that nothing gets detected if they get tested, these two clowns make serious money and are afraid of losing their jobs.

This new policy is wreaking havoc.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rick O Shea

Quote from: stew on June 14, 2007, 05:03:29 PM
I have recruited approximately 20 people into Sprint and every single one of them lasted at least three years, up until last month that is when one of my recruits got sent for a drug test and failed it, has was sacked on the spot and I just found out that another boyo of mine got let go this morning for the same thing, we recently introduced a new policy and now we are subject to random testing. I dont care because I  never did them in my life but I know two bhoys that are thinking of going out on short term disability for a couple of months to make sure that nothing gets detected if they get tested, these two clowns make serious money and are afraid of losing their jobs.

This new policy is wreaking havoc.

Just a query, but would you be able to claim passive smoking..?

stew

[/quote]

Nope! if it is in you at all you are done.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

dublinfella

Quote from: stew on June 14, 2007, 09:09:39 PM

Nope! if it is in you at all you are done.
[/quote]

random drugs testing in private workplaces is 100% illegal (in the south). bodily integrity etc.

unelss they suspect you are baked in the workplace, but they need a doctor to call that.

rosnarun

Quoterandom drugs testing in private workplaces is 100% illegal (in the south). bodily integrity etc.
but like enthusiastic folls that we all are when looking for a job a lot of may have sig up for it when we sign our employmrnt contracts.
bodily integrity May mean they cant force you to do the test but a refusal would probably mean instant dismissal
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mannix

Its common policy in america to do tests no matter what the job is, florida being very aggressive on testing.I suspect drug taking is a major concern as they take hair samples which apparently contain any drug you have taken so get the clippers out if in doubt.

SuperDooperCooper

Thanks for all the replys.
It was rather soft to be honest - eye test, weight, height, colour blindness test, urine test (literaly taking the piss :)), breathing etc.
Over in just under 35 mins.

rosnarun

If the piss terst doesmt go well ask for a retest have have a clean sample with you . mind you need to know some one pretty well to ask them for a bottle of piss but . it has been done and saved people jobs. Of course i would not advocate this for the far more serious business of Football where they are actully suppsed to look at you pissing but most doctors arnt so strict
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

My sister in law came over to visit us when we lived in Arizona. She came over as a student on a J1, and was looking for a bit of work to give her a few dollars to enjoy herself at weekends.

Anyhow, she was offered a job in Walmart and Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Shop. Both jobs required a drugs test! Jaysus H, imagine a drugs test to work in Walmart. I can only assume that she would have failed the test had drugs NOT been in her system or something.

Never came to that though, she took the Baskin Robbins job and I got Ice Cream all summer :D