NBA Playoffs

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, April 25, 2007, 03:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syd

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 15, 2007, 01:33:27 PM
Well the Spurs win their 3rd title in 5 years - is it too early to call them a dynasty?

I think you can call them a dynasty, the one constant has been Tim Duncan. He is the anti-Kobe Bryant, doesent care about stats or persoanl glory, just wants to win.

SammyG

Probably the worst finals in living memory and the US viewing figures have been terrible. I'd imagine there'll be a major shake-up in the next couple of years (if not next year) to introduce a proper seeding system and try and get two decent teams in the Finals.

Syd

Quote from: SammyG on June 15, 2007, 01:50:27 PM
Probably the worst finals in living memory and the US viewing figures have been terrible. I'd imagine there'll be a major shake-up in the next couple of years (if not next year) to introduce a proper seeding system and try and get two decent teams in the Finals.

I think the problem is that the Western Conference is far superior to the East so im not sure how they can fix that. The Spurs were something like 1-5 to win the series with the bookies.

Gabriel_Hurl

I'm not comparing Duncan to Jordan - but he's every bit as important to the Spurs winning those titles as Jordan was to the Bulls.

Good to see Tony Parker win the MVP - and it's hard to believe he's a French citizen who was born in Belgium.

And the lucky fecker marries Eva Longoria next month

Gabriel_Hurl

There has been rumblings in the last week about ranking the teams 1 to 16 irrespective of conference

magpie seanie

It seems to me that things like that are cyclical with US sports. When I first watched the NFL the NFC team would almost always win the Superbowl. Now its the other way around.

SammyG

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 15, 2007, 02:00:59 PM

There has been rumblings in the last week about ranking the teams 1 to 16 irrespective of conference

Yep, I think that's the most likely outcome. They've got to do something, this years Finals were breaking records for some of the lowest viewing figures in history.

Syd

One thing you can say is the finals were a good advertisemnt for the NFL draft. Duncan and James were both No 1 picks and came in to help struggling teams.

J70

Quote from: Syd on June 15, 2007, 01:57:09 PM

I think the problem is that the Western Conference is far superior to the East so im not sure how they can fix that. The Spurs were something like 1-5 to win the series with the bookies.

The East is so bad that the Knicks, with no chance of even approaching a 0.5 season, were in contention for a play-off spot until the last week or two of the regular season!

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 15, 2007, 02:01:56 PM
It seems to me that things like that are cyclical with US sports. When I first watched the NFL the NFC team would almost always win the Superbowl. Now its the other way around.

I remember that. It went on for well over a decade until Elway and the Broncos finally did it.

Syd

Quote from: J70 on June 15, 2007, 02:13:20 PM
Quote from: Syd on June 15, 2007, 01:57:09 PM

In fairness the Number 7/8 seeds are always around the 0.500 mark, Lakers & Warriors were both 42-40. And in the West this year the Number 8 seeds (Warriors) beat Number 1 seeds (Mavericks).

full back

Quote from: Syd on June 15, 2007, 02:09:35 PM
One thing you can say is the finals were a good advertisemnt for the NFL draft. Duncan and James were both No 1 picks and came in to help struggling teams.

Em, I think maybe you are getting a bit confused the Sid ;)

Syd

Its Friday afternoon, you will give me a bye ball !

Oraisteach

The funny thing is, as dominant as the Spurs were, the Cavs' defence played them tough, and if the Cavs' 3-point shooters, LeBron included, had even vaguely approached a modicum of respectability with wide-open shots (my daughter has a way better 3-point shooting percentage), then the series would be tied 2-2 going in to Game 5.  But don't get me wrong, the Spurs are a much better team.  Time to turn to the Indians and be disappointed again.