UFC comes to Belfast

Started by The Iceman, April 02, 2007, 11:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

When you go through the hits that are not allowed, it leaves an awful lot that you're allowed to do to your opponent. Presumably kicks and knees to any part of the anatomy are allowed (including the head, providing the opponent is not grounded)? What's the death rate among participants?

Gabriel_Hurl

There's only ever been 1 death in MMA

The Iceman

There has only been one death in the sport of MMA, in an event in Kiev, Ukraine in 1998, where American Douglas Dedge fought against doctor's orders and despite a pre-existing medical condition that was frequently causing him to black out in training (US promoters were unwilling to let him compete with his condition).
His death is unmistakably tragic, and may have been preventable, but this single death in MMA compares favorably to the death toll of boxing over 1200.

MMA has a lot of set rules and regulations now - the UFC in particular does its utmost to protect the fighters first and foremost.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hardy

It amazes me, though that in an activity where you can kick and (maybe more dangerously) knee your opponent almost anywhere and strike with a very lightly-gloved fist that there aren't more fatalities and very serious injuries. That's why I'm wondering about the RATE of fatalities and maimings - i.e. the deaths/life-threatening injuries per match or participant. I don't understand how it can be less than the rate in boxing, where you have padded gloves, restricted hitting area, no kicking, elbowing, strangling, whatever, standing counts, fights stopped for cuts, etc.

The Iceman

Well in MMA you target basically the entire body.  Boxing is more than 50% to the head - and its brain damage and head injuries which have been the cause of most deaths in boxing.
You'll often see the odd broken arm or limb - but no more than in any other full contact sport.  Fighters are smart, when you have submissions the fighter taps out. 
The fighter being submitted knows that there is no point in sustaining serious injury - if you are beaten you are beaten.
The fighter applying the submission (like the choke) knows the other guy is going to tap out and the ref is on hand to make sure anything serious doesn't happen.

MMA has come a long way since its bare knuckle origins.  Its now a recognised sport.

I think the biggest appeal is the "spectacle" the "wow factor".  The underdog winning. The everyday people fighting.  The 42 year old, 6ft 2, 230 llbs, former light heavyweight coming out of retirement to fight the 7ft 265llbs Heavweight champion and winning!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Gabriel_Hurl

Don't forget Randy was a 2 time Heavyweight Champ before he dropped down to light-heavyweight

And saying Sylvia is 7 foot tall is a bit of stretch - he's only 6'8  :P

The Iceman

You know what I mean! :P 
Randy didn't make it at Heavyweight against the bigger guys so he dropped down to Ligh Heavyweight.

At the end of the day he's 42, a lot smaller, a lot lighter, he was a HUGE underdog and caused an upset that I will be smiling about for a long time, a la Matt Serra.

Gabriel_Hurl

He held his own pretty much

He never really lost the HW title anyway - first time - he left the UFC over a contract dispute and the second time he was beaten by a guy who failed a post-fight drug test

The Iceman

Was talking to one of the boys from my club back home and he said Davey Patterson announced he has been approached to enter a local fighter for the show on June 16th.

Davey is probably the best fighter there but at 40 he is too old and isn't fighting anymore.

We reckon Greg Loughran will get the golden ticket or maybe Rodney......

Watch this space!

full back

Confirmed for Saturday June 16th in the Odyssey
Franklin v Kampmann are headlining it & Forrest Griffin is also on the card
Tickets go on general sale this Saturday

Over the Bar

I've seen a DVD of bare-knuckle gypsy/traveller grudge fights, mostly held in the west in on farms or in handball alleys, and quite a few along a border in the headlights of 2 4x4s.  All filmed on cam-corders.  They dont seem to be for money alothough there is betting going on, but are mainly due to family insults.  The rules are pretty strict with no hitting on the ground and when a man turns his back the fight is over.   Theres a hilarious scene where they visit on travellers caravan for a bit of pre-fight build up and his wife comes out screamin that she'll tear the opponents wife's face off and starts shadow boxin and high kicks.  Then the whole family then join in even the granda. lol

Gabriel_Hurl

That kick in the Cro Cop fight the other night

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

hitzelsperger

massive knock out, normally cro is on the giving end of the round house kick than on recieving end

Spiritof98

what way did the sale of the tickets go, is there many left!!
I'll go back if Marsdens back

SlimShady

look at the way Cro Cops ankle goes under him after the kick, thats bound to have done damage. well, that and the 3 or 4 punches he was hit while knocked out!!