UFC comes to Belfast

Started by The Iceman, April 02, 2007, 11:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

UFC just confirmed they are coming to Belfast in June and will showcase an Ultimate Fight Night.
No fighters confirmed at this early stage but should be a good opportunity for Irish Fans to see some decent match-ups and get a taste of the UFC ringside.

Here comes the pain.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

full back

Where did you hear this Iceman?

Tony Baloney

You'll need to send us a link or something with more info! Wonder will any local clubs be represented?

The Iceman

Got an email sent to me from my mate in a local Belfast Radio Station asking them to run a series of interviews in the build up to the fight and an Interview with Bisping.
Jorge Gurgel also confirmed on Sherdog.com that he was fighting in Belfast too.

Not sure if anybody local will be representing the Irish.
I'm sure we would have heard something by now.  Greg Loughran would be the only guy with a shot maybe? I can't see Davy Patterson fighting and he certainly isn't training for a fight at the moment.

Some snippets from the email:

QuotePlease find attached The Ultimate Fighting Championship which stages the biggest mixed martial arts event Europe has ever seen. There is an event in planned in Manchester on the 21st of this month. The UFC are scheduling an event in Belfast in June and I wondered if you would be interested in running a feature on the sport that has had a history of controversy but is now fully regulated and is the number 1 pay per view sport in America .

The pay per view and gate receipt figures are expanded upon in the articles pasted below this e-mail – I could get you an interview with the Chairman of the organisation and with Mike Bisping who is becoming one of the sports most recognizable faces – so much so that in Times Square in New York his picture currently resides plastered across advertising billboards promoting the sport.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Fionntamhnach

UFC is huge in the USA at the moment, their last PPV seen 900,000 buys IIRC.

If they're looking for local talent, put some of the local spides into the octagon with Sylvia, Ortiz etc. then they'll have a real claim for DLA!  :D

The Iceman

I think it will really help the sport here locally.  There are a lot of clubs with some great trainers and great fighters who don't get enough recognition for their efforts.
Hopefully this will help to raise the profile and increase interest in local shows.

It could be a regular thing too as UFC have opened a UK office in London.  Fingers crossed there is more to come.

Any odds on Martin McGuinness and Ian Og in the cage?

GalwayBayBoy

If they are looking for local competitiors I hear this lad likes getting fisted in the ring.

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

oakleafgael

Of the lads on the local scene only Davy Patterson would be able to hold his own against that standard imo. Last time I was talking to him he was retiring with a bad back, but that was maybe a year and a half ago. Has he fought since that Iceman? A genuine tough nut.

The Iceman

He has been retired now for over two years I think  - he is concentrating on Progressive and building up a solid team and promoting his "Ultimate Fighting Revolution" Nights.

Tom Lamont would hold his own with some guys - he's a crazy mofo.  But yeah Davy is phenomenal - but maybe a little too old at this stage - though don't tell him I said that ;).

Maybe some of the guys from England will come over - Mark Weir etc.... who knows - if you hear anymore info - post it up!

CiKe

Give me boxing anyday. How much does it pull regularly on PPV? Can't see it beating Pretty Boy Floyd vs De La Hoya (although i'm not trying to represent that boxing PPV's generally draw anywhere near what that fight's going to generate)

The Iceman

QuoteMost PPV buys, Jan.-Oct. 2006
1. May 5  Boxing  Oscar DeLa Hoya vs. Ricardo Mayorga      925,000
2. July 8  UFC  Tito Ortiz vs. Ken Shamrock                       775,000
3. Sept. 23 UFC  Matt Hughes vs. B.J. Penn                      700,000
4. April 2 Wrestling Wrestlemania 22                                636,000
5. May 27 UFC Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie                    600,000
6. Aug. 26 UFC Chuck Liddell vs. Renato Sobral                 500,000
7. April 15 UFC Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin                       425,000
8. Feb. 25 Boxing Shane Mosely vs. Fernando Vargas         420,000
9. Feb 3 UFC Chuck Liddell vs. Randy Couture                   400,000
10. April 8 Boxing Floyd Mayweather vs. Zab Judah            375,000

I think this speaks for itself.  So if you are going to choose boxing over MMA based on PPV then choose a different argument Cike :P

tayto

Not a big fan of the UFC, too vicious for my liking, when they go to ground it can be very boring. , love a bit of boxing though.

The Iceman

I love the boxing too - grew up with it, fought myself, loved it back in the golden days when you had champions you could aspire to being like, characters who lit up our TV screens and captured our attention when they fought.

Today we have very few stars, very few characters and certainly nowhere near the same "draw" that boxing had before.

Please step forward MMA. 

MMA is Mixed Martial Arts.  Mixed martial arts has come a long way from its bare-knuckle roots. While violence still plays a central role, the sport has toned down and slicked up to attract a wider audience.  The ground fighting is extremely technical and to the "virgin" viewer often appears boring.  However once you begin to understand the submissions, the counter-submissions and the technicality involved - you really appreciate what happens on the mat and how much training is involved to get to that level.
It can be brutal, but statistically it is safer than boxing.  The referees do an amazing job in MMA.
Out of most of the promotions - UFC is definitely one of the safer ones where the fighter is protected by more rules and regulations. 

Give the UFC a chance and listen to the commentators - watch the Ultimate Fighter on Bravo and try to understand the technical side of the fights and I can guarantee you'll change your mind.

tayto

Ah i dont know, to see a bloke pinned down and have someone rain down elbows to his head and face, it's just not for me. I prefer a stand up fight, toe to toe.

Some good Irish boxers making a name for themselves, Dunne, Duddy and yerman Lee.