Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Genuinely what is the difference in a team that last year conceded 28 goals in total in the league and this year has conceded 21?  Was De Gea just supersonic last year and this year isn't?  In comparison,  Liverpool and City have conceded 5 each and Chelsea 8.  Obviously we have made defensive signings.  Spurs haven't though and have only conceded 10.  Have the players regressed so badly in 12 months?  After 13 games last season United had a GD of +22 and had 29 points, this year GD is -1 and 20 points.  That's a huge swing.

NAG1

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 13, 2018, 03:04:45 PM
Genuinely what is the difference in a team that last year conceded 28 goals in total in the league and this year has conceded 21?  Was De Gea just supersonic last year and this year isn't?  In comparison,  Liverpool and City have conceded 5 each and Chelsea 8.  Obviously we have made defensive signings.  Spurs haven't though and have only conceded 10.  Have the players regressed so badly in 12 months?  After 13 games last season United had a GD of +22 and had 29 points, this year GD is -1 and 20 points.  That's a huge swing.

Don't think it is down to De Gea, but I would like to see a stat on the number of chances conceded in these games compared to last season. I'd wager it is up, so law of averages says thats going to result in more goals.

I also think JM played a bit of silly buggers with the defence in his petulance at not getting the centre half/s that he wanted over the summer. Now he has at least gone with a settled pairing which is something at least and he is getting more out of Lindelof because of it.

magpie seanie

Quote from: NAG1 on November 13, 2018, 03:51:54 PM

Don't think it is down to De Gea, but I would like to see a stat on the number of chances conceded in these games compared to last season. I'd wager it is up, so law of averages says thats going to result in more goals.

I also think JM played a bit of silly buggers with the defence in his petulance at not getting the centre half/s that he wanted over the summer. Now he has at least gone with a settled pairing which is something at least and he is getting more out of Lindelof because of it.

I wonder how that made the centre halves that were already at the club feel, especially the ones he had signed in recent years? The whole thing with the manager is a pantomime and not a very good one.

On the additional goals conceded I think another contibutary factor is that the arse has fallen out of the midfield and the defence isn't getting the cover/protection they did this time last season. Lukaku being rubbish (yet continually played until the last few games) has also had an impact.

Maroon Manc

I missed the Brighton game so don't know what went on but with the Spurs, Wolves & West Ham as soon as United conceded the 1st goal the confidence completely went throughout the team. United just fell apart, played like a team that had given up. Set pieces continue to be a huge problem, 1st goal against Chelsea & Spurs were both from corners.

Its probably a combination of factors, against Bournemouth the midfield mainly Matic & Pogba just offered the defence nothing in terms of protection in that first half.

OgraAnDun

Last season De Gae had to make the second highest number of saves in the league. Our good defensive record was primarily down to him and not the defence.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 13, 2018, 04:37:29 PM

I wonder how that made the centre halves that were already at the club feel, especially the ones he had signed in recent years? The whole thing with the manager is a pantomime and not a very good one.

On the additional goals conceded I think another contibutary factor is that the arse has fallen out of the midfield and the defence isn't getting the cover/protection they did this time last season. Lukaku being rubbish (yet continually played until the last few games) has also had an impact.
Low in confidence listening to that i can imagine. This season defenders are playing with fear and making loads of basic mistakes, the best centre back United have (Bailly) is no longer getting picked. Smalling and Young are squad players at best and not regular starters in a side that should be top 4 at the very least. Matic is meant to be the protection in front of the defence but is too slow and static to fulfill that role anymore and when the manager sees Fellaini as one of his most important players which includes using him in defence you know something is very wrong.

Boycey

The notion that keyboard warriors on the internet (any of us) know more than Mourinho is laughable. I'd also take issue with the notion that having a different opinion than the norm means operating on 'blind faith' I'll debate my opinion here with anyone. All to quickly on here the debate turns into Mourinho is shite and/or the players are shite.

From the Bunker

Mourinho inherited a seriously mixed up bunch of players. I presume that he thought at the beginning of his third year he'd have set free the driftwood. The panic set in pre-season as he realised he was still stuck with the same bunch that he has been dragging along to win third rate competitions like the League Cup and the Europa League as well as qualifying for the the Champions League. He has a lot of decent players but no (outfield) superstars. He can't be sacked as there won't be a queue of Top Managers wanting to take over this mess which starts at the top with the owners. That said one top drawer striker signing in January and everything changes.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on November 13, 2018, 08:03:58 PM
The notion that keyboard warriors on the internet (any of us) know more than Mourinho is laughable. I'd also take issue with the notion that having a different opinion than the norm means operating on 'blind faith' I'll debate my opinion here with anyone. All to quickly on here the debate turns into Mourinho is shite and/or the players are shite.

Do you need a hug? You seem very tense. Keyboard warriors - could you elaborate on what you mean by this and who you refer to? This is a discussion forum where we, errrr, discuss things. If you don't like things being discussed then it's kinda weird that you're here.

Making up things like this -
QuoteI'd also take issue with the notion that having a different opinion than the norm means operating on 'blind faith'
does you no favours. How you can take that out of any of the posts above is just incredible. What notion? Where was that said? Allow me to explain so - if you do the same thing over and over again and the results are the same over and over again - to expect anything different is blind faith at best. That's my point. Mourinho's teams have NEVER played attacking football (like even poor United sides have done) so to expect it to suddenly change is to me mind boggling. But of course MM is entitled to his opinion and he's right more than most....I only disagree with him on a few things TBH. I know I'm probably annoying him with my stance on Mourinho but to my mind it's a perfectly reasonable position and guess what - i'm entitled to my opinion as well.

Play the ball, not the man.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 13, 2018, 09:09:43 PM
Quote from: Boycey on November 13, 2018, 08:03:58 PM

Do you need a hug? You seem very tense. Keyboard warriors - could you elaborate on what you mean by this and who you refer to? This is a discussion forum where we, errrr, discuss things. If you don't like things being discussed then it's kinda weird that you're here.

Making up things like this -
QuoteI'd also take issue with the notion that having a different opinion than the norm means operating on 'blind faith'
does you no favours. How you can take that out of any of the posts above is just incredible. What notion? Where was that said? Allow me to explain so - if you do the same thing over and over again and the results are the same over and over again - to expect anything different is blind faith at best. That's my point. Mourinho's teams have NEVER played attacking football (like even poor United sides have done) so to expect it to suddenly change is to me mind boggling. But of course MM is entitled to his opinion and he's right more than most....I only disagree with him on a few things TBH. I know I'm probably annoying him with my stance on Mourinho but to my mind it's a perfectly reasonable position and guess what - i'm entitled to my opinion as well.

Play the ball, not the man.

You play the ball or the man when talking about Jose?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Van Gaal got rid of a lot of the dead wood, but Mourinho still inherited quite a number.  However, the situation is worse by virtue of his apparent inability to get the best out of the players he has bought; his signings have been dreadful on the whole.  It has got to the stage that you wouldn't be confident of signing Messi and him doing well for us.  Surely it should be easy to get a team to be difficult to score against, the goals against record this season so far is shocking.  I think there are only 3/4 clubs in the league who have conceded more.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

Good job there was no internet or social media back in late 89 as United languished in the bottom half of the table after 3 years of Fergie.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on November 14, 2018, 08:39:19 AM
Good job there was no internet or social media back in late 89 as United languished in the bottom half of the table after 3 years of Fergie.
I remember that season. He had to win something and they started playing well in the cup. Mark robins scored a few goals. And then they won the cup
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thewobbler

United hadn't won a league in 25 years before Fergie came on board. Expectations were lower. I'm not saying social media hasn't ramped up expectations, but it was easier to give him time.