TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linkbox

Quote from: HiMucker on February 18, 2019, 09:00:47 PM
Watched a documentary called Free Solo about the rock climber Alex Honnold and his attempt o scale El Capitan without the use of ropes. Unbelievable and well worth a watch.

Have a look at The Dawn Wall. Brilliant.

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on February 18, 2019, 11:56:48 PM
TD3 not doing it for me at all I have to say.

Das Boot series is decent.
How does it compare to the original?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on February 19, 2019, 11:56:20 AM

Ive recorded it so will watch it when she's out, She won't watch anything unless its a got a boy meets girl, fall in love fall out of love and get back together again at the end!!.. Cant see it beating the original, It was like being in the Uboat, so tense
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Long time from i watched the original and it never left a huge impression on me so I couldn't give an honest comparison.

JoG2

Quote from: HiMucker on February 18, 2019, 09:00:47 PM
Watched a documentary called Free Solo about the rock climber Alex Honnold and his attempt o scale El Capitan without the use of ropes. Unbelievable and well worth a watch.

Great show. Shreds the nerves at times !

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2019, 01:32:36 PM

Ive recorded it so will watch it when she's out, She won't watch anything unless its a got a boy meets girl, fall in love fall out of love and get back together again at the end!!.. Cant see it beating the original, It was like being in the Uboat, so tense
And then the way the original ended,    oh cruel world!! :)

Main Street

Quote from: Main Street on February 19, 2019, 02:44:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2019, 01:32:36 PM

And then the way the original ended,    oh cruel world!! :)
I'm watching Das Boot the new one. You'll be relieved to hear that it's not a remake of the classic Boot, it's a sequel. The son of the great commander himself  takes command of a new uBoat.  It's riveting stuff. You don't have to have watched the first Das Boot  to follow Das Boot 2

Das Boot 1,  The original uncut version in 6 episodes 293 mins is the same as the BBC miniseries
The BBC version has hard subs.

1981 unreleased version (209 minutes)
    1981 original theatrical cut (149 minutes)
    1984 BBC miniseries (300 minutes)
    1997 "Director's Cut" (208 minutes)
    2004 "The Original Uncut Version" (293 minutes) – miniseries minus episode-opening flashback scenes

nrico2006

True Detective final episode was pretty poor.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

spuds

Bordertown series 1 was decent and no issue with it being subtitled, series 2 is English dubbed and takes away from the enjoyment of it.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Main Street

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 26, 2019, 08:02:58 AM
True Detective final episode was pretty poor.
You're beyond redemption  :)

That was a stunning final episode from start to finish and what a bar fight!
I was a couple of  episodes in before I  figure out that the flashback scenes were fragments expressing themselves from Purple Hays' memories.
But somehow, the final jigsaw sized pieces of the memories of 23 years finally fell into place in that last episode in a understated  poignant and touching fashion.
It's not over yet, there's still a letterbox sized door open to the possibilities of what the son does with that note he put in his pocket,  it was encouraging that he thought the old man might have worked out something there, instead of chucking it away.

An aside,  Woody the serial killer stalking Arkansas!!  who'd have guessed that one ;D

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: spuds on February 26, 2019, 12:23:42 PM
Bordertown series 1 was decent and no issue with it being subtitled, series 2 is English dubbed and takes away from the enjoyment of it.

Change your settings in Netflix. Turn on original language and subtitles.

BennyCake

Finished fourth series of Breaking Bad.

It did get better in 3 and 4, I have to say. I think not knowing what would happen between the two boyos and Gus (and others) kept things on edge.

Going to start on 5 soon. Actually looking forward to see how it pans out.

themac_23

Quote from: BennyCake on March 05, 2019, 02:05:28 PM
Finished fourth series of Breaking Bad.

It did get better in 3 and 4, I have to say. I think not knowing what would happen between the two boyos and Gus (and others) kept things on edge.

Going to start on 5 soon. Actually looking forward to see how it pans out.

Said it a few times on here, unbelievably good show, once you get her finished up, get on to Better Call Saul, another great show.

I actually just finished series 1 of Mayans MC, was a bit slow at the start but really got hooked on it and thought it was excellent, looking forward to series 2, which looks like it'll actually bring a bit more of Sons of Anarchy in to it

laoislad

Losers on Netflix.
Excellent sports documentary series.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyCake

Started watching Orange is the new black on TG4 lately.

It's alright, but it's no Prisoner Cell Block H. I'll stick with it for now.