TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insane Bolt

Quote from: bennydorano on January 22, 2019, 09:38:55 AM
Me & the Mrs watched the 1st episode of Sex Education on Netflix last night, hard to explain how bad it is. They've transplanted an American High School set up into rural England somewhere but it stiĺl has US sensibilities. I know I'm not the target demographic and young uns might lap it up, but god it is awful.

Are you just trying to tell us you got the roide last night😜

bennydorano

On a Monday night in January??

Insane Bolt

Quote from: bennydorano on January 22, 2019, 01:15:14 PM
On a Monday night in January??

Bow wow Benny....you could charm the knickers off a nun 😜

JimStynes

New Amsterdam on prime is a decent show so far.

trailer

Quote from: bennydorano on January 22, 2019, 09:38:55 AM
Me & the Mrs watched the 1st episode of Sex Education on Netflix last night, hard to explain how bad it is. They've transplanted an American High School set up into rural England somewhere but it stiĺl has US sensibilities. I know I'm not the target demographic and young uns might lap it up, but god it is awful.

A guy in work recommended this to me. I sacked him the next day.

Milltown Row2

True detective, was slow to start with and the dialogue needs subtitles but it's been great the last few episodes
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Billys Boots

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2019, 07:44:34 AM
True detective, was slow to start with and the dialogue needs subtitles but it's been great the last few episodes

Very like the first series in many respects - slow, slow, slow and then in episode-4 it all goes mental at the end.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 13, 2019, 09:16:29 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2019, 07:44:34 AM

Very like the first series in many respects - slow, slow, slow and then in episode-4 it all goes mental at the end.
Brett a perfectly calm and harmless character unleashes his inner Rambo with a similar calm and thoughtfulness, dealing effectively with truckloads of  fat fck gut toting rednecks merging on his house.
What would Sam Peckinpah have done with that scene?
It was also the episode where Hays and Amelia had their tete la tete. That's a curious relationship with an unusual initial mating.
I'm struggling to tie together the events over three different timelines which span many decades, maybe the present timeline is more about the 2 characters experiencing  the emerging ghosts of their past and that's the starting point for having a perspective on the past timelines in the series.

nrico2006

Loved True Detective season 1 and this season is good too although it does move very slowly.  I have my suspicions that the daughter wasn't talking about her da when she phoned the cops, definitely something dodge about the DA who was beside the da on TV.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Main Street

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 13, 2019, 10:32:07 AM
Loved True Detective season 1 and this season is good too although it does move very slowly.  I have my suspicions that the daughter wasn't talking about her da when she phoned the cops, definitely something dodge about the DA who was beside the da on TV.
The rhythm of a whodunnit is missing.
It's not a whodunnit per se, at least not like the excellent Broadchurch which keeps the twists moving from episode to episode keeping the audience on their toes. TD3 is character driven, there is a whodunnit but the drama is about the characters.
Where else in modern  tv drama do you have so many one on ones? At the end of ep 5 there's a 10 minute one on one between the two leading protaginists. This doesn't happen as a rule with tv or film drama and rarely in theatre.
TD3 is a superb tv drama.

mrdeeds

Watched Russian Doll. Twenty plus minutes an episode so easy watched. Decent enough. Just starting IT Crowd again. It's very like Father Ted in ways. Never gets old.

HiMucker

Watched a documentary called Free Solo about the rock climber Alex Honnold and his attempt o scale El Capitan without the use of ropes. Unbelievable and well worth a watch.

From the Bunker

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 18, 2019, 06:56:54 PM
Watched Russian Doll. Twenty plus minutes an episode so easy watched. Decent enough. Just starting IT Crowd again. It's very like Father Ted in ways. Never gets old.

IT Crowd and Fr Ted have a similar tempo!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on February 17, 2019, 11:47:01 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 13, 2019, 10:32:07 AM
The rhythm of a whodunnit is missing.
It's not a whodunnit per se, at least not like the excellent Broadchurch which keeps the twists moving from episode to episode keeping the audience on their toes. TD3 is character driven, there is a whodunnit but the drama is about the characters.
Where else in modern  tv drama do you have so many one on ones? At the end of ep 5 there's a 10 minute one on one between the two leading protaginists. This doesn't happen as a rule with tv or film drama and rarely in theatre.
TD3 is a superb tv drama.

Very well described. Love the intensity of it, some people hate slow burning plots, but for me if the writing is good and they've casted the right actors then it's something I can believe in
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

TD3 not doing it for me at all I have to say.

Das Boot series is decent.