TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on August 10, 2018, 02:07:20 PM
Watched 3rd season of Last Chance U and really enjoyed it. Seemed like a rollercoaster season for the team and it was an interesting story.

Not sure about coach Brown. In his more guarded moments in front of the camera one on one he seems like a decent guy with anger issues but then when he loses it he really loses it.

What an incredible season.

My heart sank when I saw what happened to Bobby Bruce. You could see it coming a mile away but you hoped he would avoid being another statistic. The coaches literally talked to him about what had happened to Issiah Wright at one point.

I also thought Malik Henry got a seriously raw deal from Brown and even his own father. Probably the most telling moment was when he was asked what he wanted to do and he said coaching, not being an NFL player. The kid seems very gifted with the X's and O's, but because his father keeps pushing him he's doing something he's talented at but has no real love for. He needed a coach that would support him more than Brown was capable of doing.

Ambrose

Quote from: gallsman on August 09, 2018, 09:17:52 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 07, 2018, 04:07:48 PM
Goliath on Amazon Prime is half decent. Billy Bob Thornton as a burnt out lawyer.

I take this back after watching the second season. Complete horseshit.

I really enjoyed Season 2. I actually thought it was quite deep. It's sad, in a way, because it show us that justice doesn't always happen. We all want the nice happy ending where the hot lady mayor gets caught and locked up along with her evil brother, not necessarily in the same cell, but it doesn't happen, a lot like in life some times.
The ending was a bit of an anticlimax but it's very well set up for a third series. A solid 7 out of 10.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

gallsman

Quote from: Ambrose on August 15, 2018, 08:33:40 PM
Goliath on Amazon Prime is half decent. Billy Bob Thornton as a burnt out lawyer.

I really enjoyed Season 2. I actually thought it was quite deep. It's sad, in a way, because it show us that justice doesn't always happen. We all want the nice happy ending where the hot lady mayor gets caught and locked up along with her evil brother, not necessarily in the same cell, but it doesn't happen, a lot like in life some times.
The ending was a bit of an anticlimax but it's very well set up for a third series. A solid 7 out of 10.

Episode 7 was one of the most preposterous pieces of TV I've ever seen.

Ambrose

Quote from: gallsman on August 15, 2018, 09:27:55 PM
Quote from: Ambrose on August 15, 2018, 08:33:40 PM

Episode 7 was one of the most preposterous pieces of TV I've ever seen.

You obviously haven't watched the Fly episode from Breaking Bad. I'll agree that episode 7 was quite preposterous but the previous episode was excellent.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

bennydorano

Quote from: JimStynes on August 13, 2018, 08:25:00 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 13, 2018, 04:38:10 PM
Quote from: Rois on August 13, 2018, 04:12:42 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 13, 2018, 02:09:15 PM
The HBO show, Succession, is quite a good show. Slow start but gets quite good. Based on Rupert Murdoch and his family supposedly.
4 episodes in now.  It's OK.  I hate all the characters.  Probably the way it's supposed to be.
Culkin has to be the biggest dick, so annoying.

Such a hateful character. He plays the role of the w**ker to perfection.
Finished Succession and it grew into superb compelling viewing, darkly funny and disturbing in parts. Beautifully fucked up characters, glorious!

JimStynes

The Man City documentary on Amazon Prime is very good

el_cuervo_fc

I've watch a few Castle Rock episodes. Seems pretty good so far. A definite watch for Stephen King fans.

Enjoyed Cobra Kai too. It was good for a bit of nostalgia

themac_23

Quote from: JimStynes on August 17, 2018, 08:04:49 PM

Watching it myself, on ep 5, well put together. Easy to see why Pep is so good at what he does, he seems obsessed with his job and is handles the players well. Really given great access, fair play to City for giving the access, most clubs wouldn't

Syferus

Quote from: themac_23 on August 18, 2018, 03:33:20 PM

Watching it myself, on ep 5, well put together. Easy to see why Pep is so good at what he does, he seems obsessed with his job and is handles the players well. Really given great access, fair play to City for giving the access, most clubs wouldn't

City are trying to build their brand.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2018, 03:49:40 PM

And doing a very good job of it.. Well done City!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

They seem to be going the right way about it anyway!!

José doesn't seem like the kind of boyo you could build a brand around!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on August 18, 2018, 03:56:54 PM

They seem to be going the right way about it anyway!!

José doesn't seem like the kind of boyo you could build a brand around!!

I'd say Jose is a brand already
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Quote from: Syferus on August 15, 2018, 08:26:41 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 10, 2018, 02:07:20 PM
Watched 3rd season of Last Chance U and really enjoyed it. Seemed like a rollercoaster season for the team and it was an interesting story.

Not sure about coach Brown. In his more guarded moments in front of the camera one on one he seems like a decent guy with anger issues but then when he loses it he really loses it.

What an incredible season.

My heart sank when I saw what happened to Bobby Bruce. You could see it coming a mile away but you hoped he would avoid being another statistic. The coaches literally talked to him about what had happened to Issiah Wright at one point.

I also thought Malik Henry got a seriously raw deal from Brown and even his own father. Probably the most telling moment was when he was asked what he wanted to do and he said coaching, not being an NFL player. The kid seems very gifted with the X's and O's, but because his father keeps pushing him he's doing something he's talented at but has no real love for. He needed a coach that would support him more than Brown was capable of doing.

Yeah but he was a bit of a disaster too. Constant back talk to coaches, cancelling calls, slabbering at opponents, huffing etc.

I'd like to see the lad Rakeem Boyd do well.  He seemed to have the attitude and talent to go far.

lurganblue

I'm sure it's been mentioned before but the Vietnam documentary by Ken Burns is really stunning.  It might take quite a while to get through it but it is certainly worth the effort.  I particularly enjoy the interviewed accounts by the combatants from both sides.  Warts and all accounts of the horrifying aspects of war.

CD

Anyone attempt Disenchantment- the new Matt Groening animated show? Watched the first two episodes and it's fair to say they were 'meh'. Got a serious push by Netflix- every billboard in Ireland carrying an advert for this one!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!