Started by Dinny Breen, August 13, 2018, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 07:55:18 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 14, 2018, 07:47:31 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 01:53:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 14, 2018, 01:45:24 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 12:35:50 PM
For me, whether it is a score or not is irrelevant to the attacking player having an advantage. It needs to be determined whether he was in a better attacking position than where the free took place. So, if he gets in 10 yards more and more straight in front of the posts, he has gained the advantage regardless of what he does with the ball.
Calling the free back because he fluffed it is ridiculous.
Basically what I'm saying is - if you're given an advantage and you fcuk it up yourself, tough.

Must remember that one this year  ;D

At least I'll have one in the crowd who'll tame the crowd if given against yas
It's certainly the way I think it should be.
A foul doesn't prevent a score, it prevents the opportunity of a score. If a better opportunity to score is available instead of the free and the player takes it and misses it, that's tough.
The better opportunity and the free shouldn't both be given.
Yes they should, and they are! 😀
Tough shit for the fouler who gave the forward two chances to score instead of one
The punishment for a foul is a free.
Why should random fouls (those in which an advantage opportunity presents itself) be rewarded with more than a free?
Should teams get a 2nd chance at any free if there was no advantage played?
Tough shit on the fouler, after all.  ::)
Exactly. Tough shit on the fouler. The way it should be. Try tackling without fouling next time.

trileacman

The black card has to its credit stamped out 90% of the body checking, trips and drag downs so it has worked well. It was never going to eradicate 100% of these incidents. One of the problems now is players trying to buy black cards by running into lads or exaggerating their falls if they tangle up. That's something I think looms large in the mind of refs now and you see them hesitate to dole out black cards in every possible scenario.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Dubhaltach

Quote from: Jinxy on August 13, 2018, 04:32:23 PM
Think we need a separate set of rules for the inter-county game tbh.
Some things, i.e. the two refs, would work well at county level but simply wouldn't be practical at club level.

Agree. There are some areas where there just needs to be a separate set of rules. One of the reasons given for not introducing a stop-clock was that it would not be possible to have a clock in every club ground in the country. The GAA should grant funding to every county board to install a clock in all 32 county grounds, then at least the inter county game could be timed properly and we wouldn't have shit-shows like last Sunday. That would not cost too much and would be money better spent than some of the current 'black hole' projects.

Like in rugby, referees could then stop the clock every time they have to issue a card, every time there's 'handbags', substitutions, injuries etc. and there would be total clarity. It would also cut out a lot of the bullshit that goes on towards the end of matches when the team that are leading start a row/ take a card in order to run down the clock.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dubhaltach on August 14, 2018, 09:06:17 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 13, 2018, 04:32:23 PM
Think we need a separate set of rules for the inter-county game tbh.
Some things, i.e. the two refs, would work well at county level but simply wouldn't be practical at club level.

Agree. There are some areas where there just needs to be a separate set of rules. One of the reasons given for not introducing a stop-clock was that it would not be possible to have a clock in every club ground in the country. The GAA should grant funding to every county board to install a clock in all 32 county grounds, then at least the inter county game could be timed properly and we wouldn't have shit-shows like last Sunday. That would not cost too much and would be money better spent than some of the current 'black hole' projects.

Like in rugby, referees could then stop the clock every time they have to issue a card, every time there's 'handbags', substitutions, injuries etc. and there would be total clarity. It would also cut out a lot of the bullshit that goes on towards the end of matches when the team that are leading start a row/ take a card in order to run down the clock.

The refs wear two watches to insure that they don't lose time, they generally stop the watch during a prolonged period (well I do) I hold the watch up and make a motion to stop the watch, explain to those around that the watch is stopped.. start the watch the moment play resumes.. if it's a sub coming on I'd add 30 seconds possibly.. I'm not sure if a ref just makes it up, if he does then he'd be foolish.

I personally hate time wasters, so the second half I really let the players manager know the clock is stopped and it works for me..

Having a countdown in every ground is silly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 14, 2018, 06:13:13 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 02:55:58 PM
It must be hard to count steps and advantage seconds at the same time.

Multi tasking! Women are good at that

MR, Ticklemaster, any other referees on here,
   Do you reset the step count when playing an advantage after someone is fouled?

Not a trick question, just wondering.

Hound

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 08:08:53 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 14, 2018, 08:06:45 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 07:55:18 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 14, 2018, 07:47:31 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 01:53:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 14, 2018, 01:45:24 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 12:35:50 PM
For me, whether it is a score or not is irrelevant to the attacking player having an advantage. It needs to be determined whether he was in a better attacking position than where the free took place. So, if he gets in 10 yards more and more straight in front of the posts, he has gained the advantage regardless of what he does with the ball.
Calling the free back because he fluffed it is ridiculous.
Basically what I'm saying is - if you're given an advantage and you fcuk it up yourself, tough.

Must remember that one this year  ;D

At least I'll have one in the crowd who'll tame the crowd if given against yas
It's certainly the way I think it should be.
A foul doesn't prevent a score, it prevents the opportunity of a score. If a better opportunity to score is available instead of the free and the player takes it and misses it, that's tough.
The better opportunity and the free shouldn't both be given.
Yes they should, and they are! 😀
Tough shit for the fouler who gave the forward two chances to score instead of one
The punishment for a foul is a free.
Why should random fouls (those in which an advantage opportunity presents itself) be rewarded with more than a free?
Should teams get a 2nd chance at any free if there was no advantage played?
Tough shit on the fouler, after all.  ::)
Exactly. Tough shit on the fouler. The way it should be. Try tackling without fouling next time.
Or we could just give a penalty for every foul. Really sicken the fouling bastids.
Nah, a free with advantage, plus the requisite card if appropriate, is plenty. A penalty is right if the foul takes place in the box. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on August 15, 2018, 09:26:06 AM

I don't but I can see why it happens, if someone is fouled and I raise my arm for advantage I call it back to the original spot or if the player is again fouled before the 5 seconds are up I restart the advantage rule but by the same token the player can't foul the ball... At this point though you will bring on a heap of shit on you that you don't need, play advantage, if there is none just bring it back. Can you imagine if you raise the arm for advantage and then give a foul against player?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theticklemister

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2018, 09:50:02 AM

I don't but I can see why it happens, if someone is fouled and I raise my arm for advantage I call it back to the original spot or if the player is again fouled before the 5 seconds are up I restart the advantage rule but by the same token the player can't foul the ball... At this point though you will bring on a heap of shit on you that you don't need, play advantage, if there is none just bring it back. Can you imagine if you raise the arm for advantage and then give a foul against player?

I raise my hand for advantage and if the players goes over the steps allowed, I'll bring them back for their free. But I have found myself resetting yes.

Dire Ear

Ok refs,  did the ref ride Monaghan v Tyrone??  Cheers

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dire Ear on August 15, 2018, 01:35:31 PM

Didn't watch it, was Ref'n  :o

theticklemister

CJ2017

have to agree with Sligoman2 and Jinxy on two refs.
On the GAA hour Podcast last week Steven McDonnell agreed with Eamonn Fitzmaurice that there
should be two referees at any intercounty game.

Good to see Paul Earley sharing the same view - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtNyJ3ZAqBc

surely its worth trialing at some stage.

redzone

Quote from: theticklemister on August 15, 2018, 03:29:11 PM

yip

Here is the problem with refs. Anybody can pick a whistle up

johnnycool

Quote from: redzone on August 16, 2018, 07:48:51 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on August 15, 2018, 03:29:11 PM

yip

Here is the problem with refs. Anybody can pick a whistle up

eh!
Anyone can kick a football, but that doesn't say Mickey Harte will be picking them to play in an AI final.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2018, 09:50:02 AM

I agree with you, but that is the rule isnt it?
At the same time a player cant get away with unlimited steps just because there is an advantage being played.Its still a wee bit of a grey are and open to interpretation by the referee
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either