Sigerson Cup 2018

Started by ck, December 11, 2017, 10:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

That is some example of bitterness and begrudgery

Mike Tyson

So is it just GAA scholarships you don't approve of or all amateur sports scholarships?

magpie seanie

He has a point in fairness. Especially when you look at the wider societal view. And deciding on who gets a scholarship is very subjective.....what's the criteria? What's the cutoff?

In hiding

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 26, 2018, 10:29:55 AM
He has a point in fairness. Especially when you look at the wider societal view. And deciding on who gets a scholarship is very subjective.....what's the criteria? What's the cutoff?
How has he a point ?
If an individual or business wish to give something to somebody then who are we to say it is not right. Getting stuff because you are better at something than most others is the way of the world

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: In hiding on January 26, 2018, 11:11:01 AM
How has he a point ?
If an individual or business wish to give something to somebody then who are we to say it is not right. Getting stuff because you are better at something than most others is the way of the world

A lot of it is public money. Player grants, scholarships and now a government minister in the South calling for tax breaks. Not to mention all their other untaxed earnings and benefits such as free cars that a working individual would have to pay tax on in the way of a BIK.

I think its wrong, they're pursuing a hobby, a lot of other people have to pack in their hobbies without any sort of benefit. There's a sense of entitlement there that they are owed a living because they are good at a hobby.

If they get money or benefits in this way, it should be declared and taxable.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Mike Tyson on January 26, 2018, 10:16:54 AM
So is it just GAA scholarships you don't approve of or all amateur sports scholarships?

Sports scholarships in general but I would think GAA players would get the vast bulk of these in most Irish universities and they already get well looked after by the state as it is.

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 26, 2018, 11:26:36 AM

Sports scholarships in general but I would think GAA players would get the vast bulk of these in most Irish universities and they already get well looked after by the state as it is.

A quick google search reveals DCU as an example gives scholarships in Athletics, Basketball, Boxing, Camogie, Canoe, Gaelic Football, Golf, Handball, Hockey, Hurling, Rugby, Rowing, Sailing, Soccer and Tennis. GAA players should be treated as equals with these other sports. Have you evidence that they are being favoured or is it just your opinion?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on January 26, 2018, 11:46:22 AM

A quick google search reveals DCU as an example gives scholarships in Athletics, Basketball, Boxing, Camogie, Canoe, Gaelic Football, Golf, Handball, Hockey, Hurling, Rugby, Rowing, Sailing, Soccer and Tennis. GAA players should be treated as equals with these other sports. Have you evidence that they are being favoured or is it just your opinion?

I would suspect GAA players make up the vast bulk of sports scholarships? Have you evidence to suggest otherwise?

bogball88

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 18, 2018, 06:17:12 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 18, 2018, 04:02:07 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 18, 2018, 03:41:07 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on January 18, 2018, 03:12:20 PM
there seems to be a virulent 'anti GAA strain ' in many of the post here.
the sigerson cup a valuable completion in its own right with the standard some where between the top county teams and middle order ones and like the railway cup of old give players from a weaker county a chance to play at a very high level.
as for the scholarships they are part and parcel of University life and are there to encourage excellent in all of student pursuits which it should do though out the college .
Ireland is in the halfpenny place when it comes to scholarship compared to most countries.
Previously the only option was for athletes to head to often 2nd rate US colleges where most were never heard of again, though their education benefited greatly , surely it a major plus to kepth our top guys at home

There's just one very loud lad. No GAA members want to make the lives of senior IC players even more difficult to balance than they already are.

Grants
Expenses
Scholarships
Endorseements
Free cars

I think intercounty GAA players do very well out of their hobbies. Most people have to jack their hobbies in due to life.

Its elitism and its wrong, many club players quite rightly have a lot of issues with the GAA on this.
I agree with you on alot of things Bomber but this time we are at odds. I don't see the issue of grants or scholarships as a scourge of the GAA. And if you ask alot of club players, they don't really care about their Inter-County friend getting his benefits. Whilst friend a is on the rip through the botfriend B is driving home from Owenbeg after being soaked for 2 hours. Whilst friend a is eating spar rolls, friend b is on his cashew nuts and yoghurt. For the sacrifices GAA inter-county players make, in order for us to go see them in Croke Park or Clones and cheer them, having UUJ or DCU offer a scholarship is a small token of appreciation.
Take me back  8)

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 26, 2018, 11:53:52 AM

I would suspect GAA players make up the vast bulk of sports scholarships? Have you evidence to suggest otherwise?

No evidence but my opinion is that your opinion is incorrect. I suspect all sports would have to be treated fairly if it's public money. The money is probably shared out based on participation levels so all sports get a fair amount but I'm only speculating.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on January 26, 2018, 12:34:18 PM

No evidence but my opinion is that your opinion is incorrect. I suspect all sports would have to be treated fairly if it's public money. The money is probably shared out based on participation levels so all sports get a fair amount but I'm only speculating.

On what basis?  There is no transparency in these scholarships at all and the Sigerson and Fitzgibbon are by far and away the most illustrious of university sports competitions with numerous universities known for throwing money to get the high profile players. So there is certainly a strong rationale to make educated assumptions.

Kickham csc

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 26, 2018, 12:53:10 PM

On what basis?  There is no transparency in these scholarships at all and the Sigerson and Fitzgibbon are by far and away the most illustrious of university sports competitions with numerous universities known for throwing money to get the high profile players. So there is certainly a strong rationale to make educated assumptions.

Have you done any bit of research before you finalized on your opinion.

From a UUJ perspective, GAA was always the poor relation. The sports department would consider special provisions for elite athletes who had represented their country. So most sports qualified but the GAA didn't (unless you represented your country in int rules when 17.

Regarding sports that qualify for scholarships, the following qualify
Aikido    American Football    Angling  Archery    Athletics & Cross Country    Badminton  Basketball    Bowls - Lawn, Tenpin Boxing Camogie    Canoe    Clay Pigeon Shooting  Climbing    Cricket    Cycling  Diving    Equestrian    Fencing  Football  Futsal Gaelic Football  Golf    Gymnastics    Handball  Hockey    Hurling    Ju Jitsu  Judo    Karate    Karting  Life Saving Modern Pentathlon / Biathlon    Netball  Orienteering    Pool    Rifle Shooting  Rowing    Rugby    Sailing  Snooker    Snow Sports    Squash
Surfing    Swimming    Synchronised Swimming  Table Tennis    Taekwondo    Tennis  Triathlon    Trampolining    Volleyball
Wake Boarding    Water Polo    Water Skiing  Weightlifting    Wind Surfing    Wrestling

Quite a list, but you think the GAA would dominate the amount of scholarships??

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Kickham csc on January 26, 2018, 02:26:29 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 26, 2018, 12:53:10 PM

Have you done any bit of research before you finalized on your opinion.

From a UUJ perspective, GAA was always the poor relation. The sports department would consider special provisions for elite athletes who had represented their country. So most sports qualified but the GAA didn't (unless you represented your country in int rules when 17.

Regarding sports that qualify for scholarships, the following qualify
Aikido    American Football    Angling  Archery    Athletics & Cross Country    Badminton  Basketball    Bowls - Lawn, Tenpin Boxing Camogie    Canoe    Clay Pigeon Shooting  Climbing    Cricket    Cycling  Diving    Equestrian    Fencing  Football  Futsal Gaelic Football  Golf    Gymnastics    Handball  Hockey    Hurling    Ju Jitsu  Judo    Karate    Karting  Life Saving Modern Pentathlon / Biathlon    Netball  Orienteering    Pool    Rifle Shooting  Rowing    Rugby    Sailing  Snooker    Snow Sports    Squash
Surfing    Swimming    Synchronised Swimming  Table Tennis    Taekwondo    Tennis  Triathlon    Trampolining    Volleyball
Wake Boarding    Water Polo    Water Skiing  Weightlifting    Wind Surfing    Wrestling

Quite a list, but you think the GAA would dominate the amount of scholarships??

In universities across the island, almost definitely.

magpie seanie

Quote from: In hiding on January 26, 2018, 11:11:01 AM
How has he a point ?

Read and weep.

Captain Obvious

A Lot more time and effort, blood,sweat and tears put into hobbies nowadays it seems.  :D