Sigerson Cup 2018

Started by ck, December 11, 2017, 10:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Thanks for that. I'd say he'll be playing in Armagh at the weekend if he came through the game ok.

ck

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 24, 2018, 04:25:58 PM
Any team news or report from that game? Result not surprising.....Sligo IT were supposed to be poor this year.

Possibly the poorest team we've had in some time married to the fact that our key forward was instructed not to play by his county manager due to NFL game at weekend. Incredible the power county managers hold.

magpie seanie

Quote from: ck on January 24, 2018, 11:58:11 PM
Any team news or report from that game? Result not surprising.....Sligo IT were supposed to be poor this year.

Possibly the poorest team we've had in some time married to the fact that our key forward was instructed not to play by his county manager due to NFL game at weekend. Incredible the power county managers hold.

It has amazed me in recent years how players have been "allowed" play Sigerson on a Tuesday/Wednesday with an NFL game on a Saturday or Sunday......something that would never be allowed for their club. To me the club is the most important of the 3 but money dictates it's seen as the least.

Il Bomber Destro

Proper order, in the case of player burnout, I think its right that players are protected from that sort of schedule. Why should university football take precedence over county?

galwayman

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 25, 2018, 07:21:49 AM

Proper order, in the case of player burnout, I think its right that players are protected from that sort of schedule. Why should university football take precedence over county?
A lot of county lads are on football scholarships in the colleges though - so they would be expected to play with the college.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: galwayman on January 25, 2018, 08:48:26 AM

A lot of county lads are on football scholarships in the colleges though - so they would be expected to play with the college.

So? That should be taken out of their hands. I don't think senior intercounty players should be playing university football. I have an issue with sports scholarships.

tiempo

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 25, 2018, 04:55:40 PM

So? That should be taken out of their hands. I don't think senior intercounty players should be playing university football. I have an issue with sports scholarships.

Why not, they are both university and county players by virtue of selection, why would one preclude the other?

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: tiempo on January 25, 2018, 05:14:48 PM

Why not, they are both university and county players by virtue of selection, why would one preclude the other?

Player burnout.

The u21 competition, which has been brilliant in recent years had to be completely revamped because of Sigerson.

In hiding

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 25, 2018, 05:32:58 PM

Player burnout.

The u21 competition, which has been brilliant in recent years had to be completely revamped because of Sigerson.

Bomber do you think all football should be rearranged to suit county teams. University/College football is much more enjoyable to be part of than county u21football. Did you not get to college or something.
What in your opinion is player burnout

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: In hiding on January 25, 2018, 08:11:13 PM

Player burnout.

Bomber do you think all football should be rearranged to suit county teams. University/College football is much more enjoyable to be part of than county u21football. Did you not get to college or something.

I went to university and had to work a 20 hour part time job and take out a student loan that I had to pay back to do so.

I don't think people should be getting handouts because they are good at a hobby that already benefits these guys enough, particularly when it is public money and a number of social crises are prevalent at the minute.

University is for going to educate yourself for your professional career. It's a typical GAA entitlement to think that these lads should get everything handed to them because they are good at a hobby. Many people sacrifice their hobbies for their career.

slippery dodger

UCD's Jack Barry scores a wonderful goal in Sigerson Cup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLGQGHRB95c

In hiding

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 25, 2018, 08:46:37 PM

Player burnout.

I went to university and had to work a 20 hour part time job and take out a student loan that I had to pay back to do so.

I don't think people should be getting handouts because they are good at a hobby that already benefits these guys enough, particularly when it is public money and a number of social crises are prevalent at the minute.

University is for going to educate yourself for your professional career. It's a typical GAA entitlement to think that these lads should get everything handed to them because they are good at a hobby. Many people sacrifice their hobbies for their career.
In you learned opinion what percentage of the student population of Ireland are getting a scholarship to play football.
Have you an issue with Peter Canavan getting paid large sums of money from sky mainly because he was a top footballer

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: In hiding on January 26, 2018, 12:53:36 AM

Player burnout.

In you learned opinion what percentage of the student population of Ireland are getting a scholarship to play football.
Have you an issue with Peter Canavan getting paid large sums of money from sky mainly because he was a top footballer

I don't see what punditry has to do with Sigerson and neither do I know the money he makes from it. However, Peter Canadian is  yet another classic example of a player who has done very well financially out of a hobby.

I don't think intercounty players who already do very well out of pursuing their hobby, should really be filleting public money to gain even more perks out of pursuing a hobby. 

In hiding

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 26, 2018, 08:27:17 AM

Player burnout.

I don't see what punditry has to do with Sigerson and neither do I know the money he makes from it. However, Peter Canadian is  yet another classic example of a player who has done very well financially out of a hobby.

I don't think intercounty players who already do very well out of pursuing their hobby, should really be filleting public money to gain even more perks out of pursuing a hobby.
A hobby ?
Collecting stamps is a hobby. The amount of time and effort county players put into preparing for and playing football makes it a fair bit more than just a hobby !
Supply and demand is the way things work. The more effort lads put into becoming better footballers the more people/schools/businesses wish to be associated with them. Only a very jealous person would begrudge someone the perks that their huge efforts accumulate

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: In hiding on January 26, 2018, 09:07:51 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 26, 2018, 08:27:17 AM

Player burnout.

A hobby ?
Collecting stamps is a hobby. The amount of time and effort county players put into preparing for and playing football makes it a fair bit more than just a hobby !
Supply and demand is the way things work. The more effort lads put into becoming better footballers the more people/schools/businesses wish to be associated with them. Only a very jealous person would begrudge someone the perks that their huge efforts accumulate

If its not a hobby then you tell me what is? Is it their professional career?"Amateur" sports are a hobby, whether you like it or not. Intercounty players get loads of financial another benefits from pursuing this past time.

If they don't enjoy it then why are they doing it?