Sigerson Cup 2018

Started by ck, December 11, 2017, 10:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on January 18, 2018, 07:11:19 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 17, 2018, 10:44:00 AM
It was never a competition that did much for me bar one good days drinking after a UCD/Trinity game back in the day. The dodgy eligibility issues over the years have tarnished it a lot. Can be a good standard and enjoyable to watch but impacts too many other aspects of gaelic games. However, I think the history of the competition means it's something that should be preserved but it needs a new place in the calendar where it interferes with no other competitions. Late Nov/early Dec makes sense.

Let's think of the players for once. Anyone who has played university football will remember it extremely fondly. The players love this competition and as far as I'm concerned it fits nicely into the calendar as it is. Why do we need to cahnge anything? It's over early in the year.

Why?

Because players are being burned out. Most of them will rarely train with university sides as they will be heavily involved with their county at that time. Their only involvement will be turning up at games and the very odd training session close to match day.

If you play senior County football you should not be eligible for university football as a matter of player welfare. Sports scholarships are also wrong. University should be on the basis of academic criteria only. These lads get handed degrees and masters that others have to work hard to both finance and achieve.

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 18, 2018, 08:53:49 AM
It was never a competition that did much for me bar one good days drinking after a UCD/Trinity game back in the day. The dodgy eligibility issues over the years have tarnished it a lot. Can be a good standard and enjoyable to watch but impacts too many other aspects of gaelic games. However, I think the history of the competition means it's something that should be preserved but it needs a new place in the calendar where it interferes with no other competitions. Late Nov/early Dec makes sense.

Let's think of the players for once. Anyone who has played university football will remember it extremely fondly. The players love this competition and as far as I'm concerned it fits nicely into the calendar as it is. Why do we need to cahnge anything? It's over early in the year.

Why?

Because players are being burned out. Most of them will rarely train with university sides as they will be heavily involved with their county at that time. Their only involvement will be turning up at games and the very odd training session close to match day.

If you play senior County football you should not be eligible for university football as a matter of player welfare. Sports scholarships are also wrong. University should be on the basis of academic criteria only. These lads get handed degrees and masters that others have to work hard to both finance and achieve.

Sports scholarships are not exclusive to GAA. Rugby, hockey, soccer, athletics all get scholarships. Why should elite GAA players be disadvantaged by not getting this support for their education. I presume you have evidence that these students don't have to work and are just handed their degrees? I very much doubt that is the case.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on January 18, 2018, 11:40:57 AM

Why?

Sports scholarships are not exclusive to GAA. Rugby, hockey, soccer, athletics all get scholarships. Why should elite GAA players be disadvantaged by not getting this support for their education. I presume you have evidence that these students don't have to work and are just handed their degrees? I very much doubt that is the case.

Sports scholarships are very heavily weighted towards GAA but I never discriminated to begin with, I said sports scholarships are wrong and scholarships should only be awarded on  an academic basis not to benefit those who already benefit enormously from pursuing a hobby.

Plenty of people have to work through and finance themselves while pursuing their studies, many whom also partake in amateur sports teams.

I don't believe people should be given a free pass (literally and figuratively) through university because they are good at a hobby of theirs. I think that is wrong?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 18, 2018, 11:47:24 AM

Why?

Sports scholarships are very heavily weighted towards GAA but I never discriminated to begin with, I said sports scholarships are wrong and scholarships should only be awarded on  an academic basis not to benefit those who already benefit enormously from pursuing a hobby.

Plenty of people have to work through and finance themselves while pursuing their studies, many whom also partake in amateur sports teams.

I don't believe people should be given a free pass (literally and figuratively) through university because they are good at a hobby of theirs. I think that is wrong?

It depends on the institution whether the person gets an easier ride or not. I'd suggest that in the better colleges this is not the case.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 18, 2018, 11:51:36 AM

Why?

It depends on the institution whether the person gets an easier ride or not. I'd suggest that in the better colleges this is not the case.

I think it will generally depend on how high profile the player is. Guys with big reputations like Joe Canning, Aidan O'Shea, Michael Murphy etc will get their degree, masters etc with no effort required.

The likes of UUJ, DIT, DCU certainly carry lads through on the basis of their sporting ability. I think it's wrong. How much of public money did Aidan Walsh take in order to play football and prioritise his hobby?

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 18, 2018, 11:58:38 AM

Why?

I think it will generally depend on how high profile the player is. Guys with big reputations like Joe Canning, Aidan O'Shea, Michael Murphy etc will get their degree, masters etc with no effort required.

The likes of UUJ, DIT, DCU certainly carry lads through on the basis of their sporting ability. I think it's wrong. How much of public money did Aidan Walsh take in order to play football and prioritise his hobby?

You're stating this as fact. I don't believe it for a second though. It may be a perception that's out there but I very much doubt it is the reality.

magpie seanie

Why?

I don't know if what you're saying is true but I'd be shocked if your take is not a major overstatement.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on January 18, 2018, 12:05:10 PM

Why?

You're stating this as fact. I don't believe it for a second though. It may be a perception that's out there but I very much doubt it is the reality.

We don't know but I'm looking at it from a pragmatic view. Does having a Michael Murphy, Aidan O'Shea or Joe Canning as an alumni good PR for a university who invest a lot of money in these university sports teams?

Its generally fairly generic physical education and business courses these guys do in any case.

Il Bomber Destro

The GAA is a much different animal these days. Players do extremely well out of their profile, it's just handout after handout after handout for people who like most people have hobbies they pursue in life.

Students who receive scholarships and drive around in sponsored cars worth 30k get it very good out of the GAA. There are plenty of people who enter 3rd level education that have to work 20-30 hr weeks to fund that. Do you think that is fair?

Minder

Canning was on some ticket at LIT, remember hearing he gave UCD his "wish list" and they couldn't get anywhere near it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Syferus

Some here would want to go to the colleges being mentioned and see for themselves how easy any degree is..

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on January 18, 2018, 02:24:59 PM
Some here would want to go to the colleges being mentioned and see for themselves how easy any degree is..

Some people have to take part time jobs and loans out to get through university. Others get sports scholarships and drive around in sponsored cars.

I worked all through my university degree, I also had to get a loan out while working to get through it which I paid back. I got my degree but I didn't get any assistance with it.

Maybe Mammy and Daddy were able to assist you through it but I think the imbalance is very wrong for different sets of people who are doing the same thing. Elitism within the GAA right now is very wrong. Intercounty players get more than enough.

rosnarun

there seems to be a virulent 'anti GAA strain ' in many of the post here.
the sigerson cup a valuable completion in its own right with the standard some where between the top county teams and middle order ones and like the railway cup of old give players from a weaker county a chance to play at a very high level.
as for the scholarships they are part and parcel of University life and are there to encourage excellent in all of student pursuits which it should do though out the college .
Ireland is in the halfpenny place when it comes to scholarship compared to most countries.
Previously the only option was for athletes to head to often 2nd rate US colleges where most were never heard of again, though their education benefited greatly , surely it a major plus to kepth our top guys at home
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: rosnarun on January 18, 2018, 03:12:20 PM
the sigerson cup a valuable completion in its own right with the standard some where between the top county teams and middle order ones and like the railway cup of old give players from a weaker county a chance to play at a very high level.
as for the scholarships they are part and parcel of University life and are there to encourage excellent in all of student pursuits which it should do though out the college .
Ireland is in the halfpenny place when it comes to scholarship compared to most countries.
Previously the only option was for athletes to head to often 2nd rate US colleges where most were never heard of again, though their education benefited greatly , surely it a major plus to kepth our top guys at home

There seems to be a pro-elitism slant to your post there.

They already make enough our of their hobby, many people lose a lot over pursuing their hobby.

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on January 18, 2018, 03:12:20 PM

There's just one very loud lad. No GAA members want to make the lives of senior IC players even more difficult to balance than they already are.