Croke to get a roof

Started by sureyouwill, January 05, 2007, 01:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sureyouwill

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=37&si=1749892&issue_id=15076

THE NEXT step in Croke Park's multi-million euro expansion is to roof the stadium, according to the GAA's director general Liam Mulvihill.

The GAA's most powerful man yesterday revealed that he believes the headquarters will eventually be fully covered, a comment that will raise interest among other sports who have many of their internationals at a much more unseasonable time than the GAA.

"I feel there is a strong possibility that we will have a roof on the stadium eventually. I really believe, in terms of Irish climate, it's going to be needed as spectator comfort becomes more and more of an issue," he said in a radio interview.

"We are an organisation that wants to keep in tune with what people want and as people become more affluent.

"I think this issue of comfort is going to be important and we will reach a stage where we will have to roof the whole stadium."

Do you not need 4 sides for a roof?

tayto

Yea, i can't see how a roof would go on, or the need for one unless the FAI and IRFU are here to stay? I'd prefer to see Semple totally revamped.

Shamrock Shore

What happens when the Mayo lads start hitting the ball off the top of it?  ;D

Star Spangler

Exactly.  How often would the roof be put into use during the summer months? 

It would be a waste of money unless they were planning to use the stadium during the winter months.  Maybe we're going to have a championship that runs into the winter.  :P

Or maybe Mulvihill has let the mask slip.

AN other

I think those houses should be bought if at all possible and "complete" the stadium. I don't see any reason why the hill as a terrace couldn't be maintaned as a terrace with seating in the upper tier.

Gnevin

An other pointless investment in property the GAA hasnt rained during a dublin match in CP for 5 years .Llike the rest of this county the GAA is property made
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

sureyouwill

Is the railway line not a big problem for "completing the oval"?

http://maps.pomocnik.com/satellite-maps/?map=1108

AN other

Quote from: sureyouwill on January 05, 2007, 02:05:49 PM
Is the railway line not a big problem for "completing the oval"?

It could be built around it if the houses weren't there, there's a railway under the canal end beside the canal, and the canal is bridged also.

Gnevin

Must we have the hill looks crap discussion every time Croke Park is mentioned ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

J70

Presumably retrofitting a movable roof is quite an engineering undertaking? Or was the stadium built with that eventuality in mind?

sureyouwill

Quote from: Gnevin on January 05, 2007, 02:25:05 PM
Must we have the hill looks crap discussion every time Croke Park is mentioned ?

Personally I was just stating it would be hard to have a roof without four sides, can't see any post so far here to say Hill looks crap - bit of Paranoia creeping in there!!

Bud Wiser

If they provided a roof, under floor heating, a case of champaign,  a four poster bead,  and Nadine Coyle or all from Girls Aloud to climb into said four poster,  it is no use unless there is something to watch. I expect the Leinster hurling final will not be even played in Croke Park this year and they should concentrate on getting hurling back on track before they start any more daft ideas.  How high would a roof have to be for a high puck out in hurling??

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Star Spangler on January 05, 2007, 01:49:08 PM
Exactly.  How often would the roof be put into use during the summer months? 

yeah the sun is always glaring down in the usual Irish summers :D

though if we roofed it, I think we could have problems with the grass- and its bad enough - dont really see the point in this.

Agree with ANOther, should buy them houses, tunnel over the railway and put seating in the upper tier at least.
Though apart from sentimentality, I wouldnt keep the hill the way it is.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 05, 2007, 02:36:46 PM
If they provided a roof, under floor heating, a case of champaign,  a four poster bead,  and Nadine Coyle or all from Girls Aloud to climb into said four poster,  it is no use unless there is something to watch. I expect the Leinster hurling final will not be even played in Croke Park this year and they should concentrate on getting hurling back on track before they start any more daft ideas.  How high would a roof have to be for a high puck out in hurling??

get the mayo football team and Derry hurling team in to measure the elevation required...