Frankie Dolan crosses the Shannon to Whestmeth....

Started by highorlow, January 02, 2007, 07:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuperDee

Quote from: neilthemac on January 03, 2007, 03:28:41 PM
frankie was born in Westmeath, so technically he's allowed transfer

I dont think being born in a county gives you a right to play there. I think that you have to live there or be employed there full time. If being born in a county is enough we are screwed in Tyrone because there are no maternity units in the county. Most here are born in Magherafelt, Derry Enniskillen or Belfast >:(

never kickt a ball

Lake chair dismisses Dolan speculation

Wednesday, January 3

Westmeath county board chairman Seamus Whelan has dismissed suggestions that former Roscommon star Frankie Dolan could be set for a shock transfer to the Lake County.

Dolan doesn't seem to be part of current Roscommon manager John Maughan's plans. He has not played for the Rossies since the National League of 2005 and was not called in by Maughan for last year's campaign and is not currently part of the 2007 panel either.

It has been rumoured that Dolan had already had talks with Westmeath officials but Whelan has refuted this.

"It is news to me and to Paddy Collins (county secretary) as well. We don't know anything about it and haven't met him," he said.

Despite Whelan's comments, the move cannot be completely ruled out just yet. Dolan was also linked with Westmeath last year and it is believed that the Lakesiders are looking into Dolan's eligibility given that he was born in the county.

Of course, should he join up with the 2004 Leinster champions, he would be playing alongside his first cousins Gary and Dessie Dolan.

It wouldn't have been the first time the St Brigid's man has been the subject of transfer speculation, having moved from his native club to Longford's Ballymahon a few years back, winning a county title in 2002.

He has since switched back to St Brigid's and was recently in the news again after an alleged assault during the Connacht club final clash with Corofin.

However, he is free to turn out in next month's All-Ireland semi-final against Crossmaglen Rangers as his suspension will have run out before the February 18th tie against Armagh's Crossmaglen Rangers

www.gaa.ie

blanketattack

Quote from: DuperDee on January 03, 2007, 03:44:48 PM
Quote from: neilthemac on January 03, 2007, 03:28:41 PM
frankie was born in Westmeath, so technically he's allowed transfer

I dont think being born in a county gives you a right to play there. I think that you have to live there or be employed there full time. If being born in a county is enough we are screwed in Tyrone because there are no maternity units in the county. Most here are born in Magherafelt, Derry Enniskillen or Belfast >:(

Where you're born is considered to be the address where your parent(s) are living at the time of your birth and not the actual building you were born in.

Timothy Leary

I'm inclined to agree with Rossie11, Dolan is a dangerous forward who can singlehandly turn a game. I saw him lead Offaly a merry dance in Mullingar in the qualifiers a few years ago, and remember the point he scored in the dying minutes against Kildare in Portlaoise. He'll be some addition to Westmeath, him and Dessie in the corners, should be worth a few scores per match. I know he's the two ends of a ginnit, but if O'Flaharta can get the beat out of him the lakers could have a good run.

AhFeckRef

QuoteDolan is a dangerous forward who can singlehandly turn a game. I saw him lead Offaly a merry dance in Mullingar in the qualifiers a few years ago,

;D ;D ;D

I saw Seamus Quinn and Michael McGuinness chew him up and render him totally ineffective in games. He never scored too much against Leitrim! An overrated pup imho.

never kickt a ball

Ros boss: I've no problem if Dolan switches
From http://www.gaa.ie/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=16936

Thursday, January 4

Following the rumours of Frankie Dolan transferring from Roscommon to Westmeath, Rossies boss John Maughan has said that he has no issue with the St Brigid's switching to the Lake County.

Dolan, a cousin of Lake County stars Dessie and Gary, was nominated for an All-Star in 2003, while he was key member of his club side's Connacht SFC success last year.

He is currently preparing for St Brigid's clash with Ulster kingpins Crossmaglen Rangers in an AIB All-Ireland Club SFC semi-final on February 18th.

"We made a decision on Frankie Dolan 18 months ago and we have moved on from that," said Mayo native Maughan.

"We felt that he didn't come up to inter-county standard and that was after watching him a number of times.

"He was an outstanding footballer - I remember a few years ago (2003) watching him give a footballing exhibition against Kildare in Portlaoise in the All-Ireland qualifiers. But now we are looking at a younger breed of footballers," he told the Irish Star.

Officials from neither county board have, as of yet, been contacted with regard to a transfer involving Dolan.

AZOffaly

QuoteWe felt that he didn't come up to inter-county standard and that was after watching him a number of times
Jaysus, talk about a hostage to fortune. If Dolan does join the family circle in Westmeath (Dessie Snr as trainer next year??), then I'd back him to score a hatful if they come across Roscommon in the qualifiers or somewhere.

His performance against Offaly in Mullingar, alluded to above, was top drawer. A properly motivated Frankie would be a benefit to most county teams. I think the Tan Man has given him all the motivation he needs :D

LaurelEye

Quote from: AZOffaly
QuoteWe felt that he didn't come up to inter-county standard and that was after watching him a number of times
Jaysus, talk about a hostage to fortune. If Dolan does join the family circle in Westmeath (Dessie Snr as trainer next year??), then I'd back him to score a hatful if they come across Roscommon in the qualifiers or somewhere.

Dessie Sr. is otherwise occupied with Leitrim at the moment. Dessie Sr. was training Ballymahon at the time that Frankie was "living" there.

QuoteA properly motivated Frankie would be a benefit to most county teams.

Aye, but "properly motivated" is the money quote there. The second year that he was playing with Ballymahon, he did feck-all for them - they got to the final, but were hammered by Clonguish with Frankie only managing a single point and being there in body but not in spirit.

The danger is that an improperly motivated Frankie could do a lot of damage off the field.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

QuoteThe danger is that an improperly motivated Frankie could do a lot of damage off the field.

Now that would be worth watching.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

highorlow

Westmeath manager Tomas O Flaharta has left the door open for Roscommon player Frankie Dolan to cross county and provincial borders by saying that he is willing to talk to anybody who may wish to play for the Maroon and Whites.

O Flaharta has explained however that no formal arrangement has come to pass just yet between Dolan and Westmeath GAA chiefs.

"There is a lot of speculation about Frankie Dolan and all I can say is that Frankie Dolan is not training with us and I'm not aware of any transfer papers that have been signed or anything like that," said O Flaharta.

"I think Frankie Dolan is a very fine footballer and I have no problem talking to anybody at all.

"Despite what other people say, I think there is plenty of football left in him yet."

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go