Aussie Training Camp

Started by toiletroller, August 27, 2008, 10:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: JMohan on August 28, 2008, 01:08:42 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 28, 2008, 01:03:14 PM
QuoteHow do you make that out?

If the clubs were interested they'd approach the lads directly. The idea that this training camp makes one iota of difference is laughable. Its just a PR stunt.
What if the clubs mentioned don't have the money to send individual scouts over?

They could afford to send representatives over. The trials were not simply a show-off, the lads were tested and given presentations on Oz life etc. For all the fears, the trickl of successful AFL players from Ireland will be small.

orangeman

Quote from: corn02 on August 28, 2008, 01:12:48 PM

If the clubs were interested they'd approach the lads directly. The idea that this training camp makes one iota of difference is laughable. Its just a PR stunt.
What if the clubs mentioned don't have the money to send individual scouts over?

They could afford to send representatives over. The trials were not simply a show-off, the lads were tested and given presentations on Oz life etc. For all the fears, the trickl of successful AFL players from Ireland will be small.
[/b]

No doubt about that - be a hero in Ireland and a nobody in Oz !

Bogball XV

Quote from: toiletroller on August 28, 2008, 12:38:01 PM
Are you talkin about Kilreas prospect?
Nah, sure how would spoofer know his da ;)

Over the Bar

QuoteNo doubt about that - be a hero in Ireland and a nobody in Oz !

Whilst I agree fully with Mickey Harte that we will lose some of our best talent, there are some young lads who have a desire to be full-time professional sportmen.   This desire might be greater than that to win an all-ireland or be an amateur hero in their own county.   To that end Aussie rules provides them with a conduit to their aspirations.

orangeman

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 28, 2008, 03:54:57 PM

Whilst I agree fully with Mickey Harte that we will lose some of our best talent, there are some young lads who have a desire to be full-time professional sportmen.   This desire might be greater than that to win an all-ireland or be an amateur hero in their own county.   To that end Aussie rules provides them with a conduit to their aspirations.

And good luck to them that go and try it out, even if it doesn't work, they might be better for the whole experience - but then again they might not (like some of the soccer lads that go to England and are quickly washed up after a few years ).

Bogball XV

Quote from: orangeman on August 28, 2008, 03:58:25 PM

And good luck to them that go and try it out, even if it doesn't work, they might be better for the whole experience - but then again they might not (like some of the soccer lads that go to England and are quickly washed up after a few years ).
How's that Ardboe lad getting on?

loughshore lad

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 28, 2008, 04:25:03 PM
Quote from: orangeman on August 28, 2008, 03:58:25 PM

How's that Ardboe lad getting on?

He is not away yet, doesnt go until November.  He will be playing for Tyrone minors in the All Ireland Semi Final this sunday against Meath.

thebandit

Quote from: tyrone86 on August 28, 2008, 01:02:07 AM
Quote from: thebandit on August 27, 2008, 01:07:57 PM
Conor Galligan and Neil McAdam (Monaghan Harps) were asked as well. Colm Watters (Culloville - Armagh) was asked, don't thiink he went.

What level is Watters playing football at now? Remember him playing for Violet Hill in the Dalton and Corn na Og, he was a fantastic player at that level.

Plays CHF for Culloville (2nd in Armagh league) and would be generally regarded as their best player. Played U21 for Armagh last year as well. He was on the co. minor team at CHF but suffered a lot with injuries after that, getting back to good form now though. If he kept progressing he could possibly have a shout for Armagh. His father Malachy was a good club player, and probably should have featured more for the county.

thebandit

Quote from: Whacker on August 28, 2008, 08:15:37 AM
Quote from: robertemmet on August 27, 2008, 01:14:47 PM
Conor Galligan (Monaghan) played in the McAnespies team to have won the Boston Championship recently, so it cant be him unless he is just home in time for the trial.

Galligan was home on Tuesday AFAIK Robert

The bandit, correct me if I'm wrong but did I see Daniel McNally there too?

Nice outfits they had on them anyway.. I'd say they would cost a few pound alright!  Liked the way parents came on and stood up for Nixon (jury is still out on him!).  They were well treated so I suppose who can blame them!

Yeah, McNally was there. Surprised Neil McAdam wasnt asked as well.

Uladh

Quote from: orangeman on August 28, 2008, 01:44:53 PM
Quote from: corn02 on August 28, 2008, 01:12:48 PM

[/b]

No doubt about that - be a hero in Ireland and a nobody in Oz !

That description is horseshit and doesn't stand up to any reasoned scrutiny, so stop using it. you had one of those idiotic strap lines when the grants debate was going on too. repeating stuff doesn't make it any less stupid.

Jinxy

Ian Ryan of Limerick has said he's not interested in joining the AFL. From gaa.ie.

Limerick teenage prodigy Ian Ryan will not be joining AFL side Essendon, the player confirmed on Thursday.

Reports in various media during the week had suggested that the 19-year-old was on the verge of signing an international rookie contract with the AFL giants.

The teenager burst into the public consiciousness with a series of brilliant displays in the Limerick inside forward line this summer, the high-point of which was his personal haul of 3-7 against Meath in the qualifiers.

However, Ryan insists that his future remains in Gaelic football after his return from a two-week trial with the Melbourne side.

"It was a temendous experience being involved in a full-time set-up for two weeks and Essendon couldn't have treated me bettter," said Ryan.

"But after giving the matter a lot of thought, I've decided that I'd prefer to playing Gaelic football rather than making the change to Aussie Rules which has many stoppages for marks when players catch the ball cleanly."

"As well, I've come to the comclusion that Gaelic football is more of a hobby rather than something I'd like to be involved in full-time, if it were possible. So the full-time element of Aussie Rules wouldn't be a plus for me."
If you were any use you'd be playing.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 28, 2008, 12:17:49 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on August 28, 2008, 10:52:08 AM
Young lads have no sense at all being made eejits of by a tool from Australia.
How do you make that out?
If the gaa can't is unwilling to provide the opportunity to play at a semi-pro level, then why should the lads not go for a look at the very least.  Sure if they get the chance for a trip out there for a month or two, wouldn't that be incentive enough alone to go out to the camp.
I know that one of the Derry players father would be totally against this, but he was obviously convinced by McNicholl that this worth a look, what harm can come of this for the player?

Surely you mean unable?

uladh
That description is horseshit and doesn't stand up to any reasoned scrutiny, so stop using it. you had one of those idiotic strap lines when the grants debate was going on too. repeating stuff doesn't make it any less stupid.
Calling someone else's opinion stupid doesnt make yours any more valid.
Wishing something will happen in order to force the GAA in to paying players more doesnt mean it will happen either.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

Sean Cavanagh has indicated that he is fairly sure that his younger brother, Colm, will remain in Gaelic football, despite speculation surrounding him with a move to the AFL.

Colm Cavanagh was listed as one of the players to be involved in renowned AFL players' agent Ricky Nixon's recruitment camps at the end of last month in Mayo, but never appeared as he was concentrating on an All-Ireland semi-final against Wexford.

"The guy (Nixon) has been on to him," Sean Cavanagh said of his younger brother Colm.

"He's been emailing him and obviously Colm is focused on Tyrone at the minute. He didn't want to be near a camp, he didn't want to be involved in it.

"It's probably unwelcome, in that he's emailing saying there are a few teams interested. But you take these things with a pinch of salt in that the same guy is probably saying that to 50-60 young players around Ireland.

"It's disappointing to see that happening and they're trying to distract players from playing in the Championship. I can probably say with a good certainty that (Colm) won't be going near them. He's happy playing football and here's where he wants to say."

Cavanagh himself turned down the chance of a move 'Down Under' back in 2006, opting to stay with Tyrone but he does admit that it probably a situation the GAA will need to look into.

"I was approached by a guy called Gerard Sholly. He was actually a gentleman. He came to the house and there was no pressure whatsoever put on you. But this guy Nixon is obviously sending around emails. I know he approached a couple of Kerry lads like Tommy Walsh.
"Obviously it's not even nice to have that in your head at this time of year. You just want to be focused on one thing and one thing only at that's the football championship. It's probably something the GAA are going to have to look at."

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte has voiced his opinion over the AFL's recruitment of young GAA players, suggesting that the Association should break off all links with Australian officials.

After next Sunday's ESB All-Ireland minor decider, the O'Neill County will have lost one of their great prospects in sharpshooter Kyle Coney, as the youngster has signed a contract deal with AFL club Sydney Swans 'Down Under'

The Cavanaghs haven't much time for a "foreign sport" !  ;)

Uladh

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 31, 2008, 11:31:27 AM
Wishing something will happen in order to force the GAA in to paying players more doesnt mean it will happen either.

What are you on about?

Final Whistle

no doubt amigo will still have a derogatory comment to make about them.  :-\ :-\ :-\