Aussie Training Camp

Started by toiletroller, August 27, 2008, 10:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertemmet

Conor Galligan (Monaghan) played in the McAnespies team to have won the Boston Championship recently, so it cant be him unless he is just home in time for the trial.

Jinxy

Quote from: ardmhaca08 on August 27, 2008, 11:54:09 AM
Aussie rule interest from players

A leading Australian Rules recruitment manager has revealed that up to ten inter-county players have contacted him requesting a trial. Manager of Collingwood National Recruitment Derek Hine claims he receives minimum of three emails a week from GAA players desperate to try out for the Magpies.

Hine- the man who spotted the talent of Martin Clarke and Kevin Dyas won't reveal the names of the players concerned, but some are understood to be leading county stars. Hine admits he generally discards the mails but for some of the players he would ask Clarke and Dyas about them. Hine insists that there are plenty of GAA players operating below county level who could make it in Aussie Rules. 

Lads, take everything the aussies say with a pinch of salt.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rick O Shea

Who was the cub that scored a 'basket'? 

Unbelieveable kick!

orangeman

Quote from: Jinxy on August 27, 2008, 01:41:22 PM
Quote from: ardmhaca08 on August 27, 2008, 11:54:09 AM
Aussie rule interest from players

A leading Australian Rules recruitment manager has revealed that up to ten inter-county players have contacted him requesting a trial. Manager of Collingwood National Recruitment Derek Hine claims he receives minimum of three emails a week from GAA players desperate to try out for the Magpies.

Hine- the man who spotted the talent of Martin Clarke and Kevin Dyas won't reveal the names of the players concerned, but some are understood to be leading county stars. Hine admits he generally discards the mails but for some of the players he would ask Clarke and Dyas about them. Hine insists that there are plenty of GAA players operating below county level who could make it in Aussie Rules. 

Lads, take everything the aussies say with a pinch of salt.

Make that a shovel full of salt !

DandyMan

I wish these guys the bst of luck in terms of getting a contract. The GAA offers nothing by way of any possible career path or income generation. Even if these guys fail in Oz, they will be toughened up and benefit from a year or two abroad. Ostriches and sand come to mind when I read this thread.

ríochtciarraí

You couldn't blame the lads if they did head off but I really hope not too many sign up for it. People say its not a problem but look at Laios they have been raped for the last few years with players heading off. Personally I certainly hope Walsh and Moran dont head off but as I said earlier you couldnt blame them if they do and good luck to them.

ExiledGael

Quote from: Rick O Shea on August 27, 2008, 01:45:41 PM
Who was the cub that scored a 'basket'? 

Unbelieveable kick!

Conor Meredith from Laois. Heard about it, can it be seen anywhere?

Jinxy

I noticed at the press conference there were 4/5 players wearing full body Skins gear. I had a sneaking suspicion before this that the players were going to benefit financially from attending this camp and this seems to confirm it. After all it wouldn't do to have the Irish and Australian media show up and there were only a handful of players in attendance.
Also, Conor Meredith is about to sign for Brisbane Lions. Why is he at a recruitment camp?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Aaron Boone

One still thinks Martin Clarke would have saved Down (v Wexford) and Martin himself wanted to be there in Croker to save them too.

zoyler

Martys remarks in The Age interview to the effect that he will only stay in Oz if he can be as good at Aussie Rules as he is at Gaelic Football was interesting.  Clearly he wants to be more then just a dependable halfback who can run for ever.

orangeman

Quote from: zoyler on August 27, 2008, 09:53:19 PM
Martys remarks in The Age interview to the effect that he will only stay in Oz if he can be as good at Aussie Rules as he is at Gaelic Football was interesting.  Clearly he wants to be more then just a dependable halfback who can run for ever.
[/b][/i]

Clearly he sees himslef as something more than that !

INDIANA

If i saw a player practicing with an AFL ball down at the club grounds i'd tell him to f**k off to the local park. they can go to australia if they so desire but they don;t have to flaunt it in front of people. It's like a travelling circus at this stage, i wouldn't give them any airtime.

bigpaul

See lads down at the local field playing impromptu soccer matches on a regular basis , would the same apply?

stephenite

Quote from: orangeman on August 28, 2008, 12:36:13 AM
Quote from: zoyler on August 27, 2008, 09:53:19 PM
[/b][/i]

Clearly he sees himslef as something more than that !

Doubt it. Read between the lines - the thing with Clarke is he seems to have learnt a valuable lesson from Kennelly. Keep talking about home and the ambition to win All Irelands - repeat it as often as possible, anytime someone asks talk about going back to win All Irelands, talk Gaelic Football over and over etc..

Clarke has the potential to be even better than Kennelly - Collingwood will pay big bucks to keep him and all this talk just pushes his value up even more.

tyrone86

Quote from: thebandit on August 27, 2008, 01:07:57 PM
Conor Galligan and Neil McAdam (Monaghan Harps) were asked as well. Colm Watters (Culloville - Armagh) was asked, don't thiink he went.

What level is Watters playing football at now? Remember him playing for Violet Hill in the Dalton and Corn na Og, he was a fantastic player at that level.