Thomas Davis v the Government

Started by dublinfella, November 25, 2006, 01:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: tayto on January 05, 2007, 10:16:55 AM
Quote from: snatter on January 05, 2007, 10:13:02 AM
QuoteI'm not particularly comfortable with the GAA coveting their neighbours goods. it looks petty.

That's the whole point of this aggro - these grounds are not our neighbour's goods - IT'S PUBLIC PROPERTY, the development is almost entirely paid for by PUBLIC MONEY. Before the minister intervened, SDCC had decided that a multi sport MUNICIPAL stadium was the way to go.

The GAA community feel aggrieved that they are being excluded from a substantively public bankrolled project. The level of funding given to this project is markedly disproportionate when compared to GAA developments.
This argument is about equity and fairness, full stop.

And there we have it. You've got it in one. Why some people are angry with TD over this just goes to show how smal minded some people can be. Imagine standing up for your rights like that.

what 'right' are TD going to court to defend? the 'right' to use other sports facilities? does this mean other sports have the 'right' to use GAA facilities involving public land/money?

Josey Whales

I think this debate has gone beyond pedantic at this stage and has probably strengthened the divide between the codes. As Sean Diffley points out in the indo today how - Seapoint rugby club- cabinteely soccer club and cabinteely boys gaa club all manage to use the same all-weather pitch and all use seapoint rugby clubs clubhouse for their meetings without any rancour.
Says everything in my view.
We have clowns like O Donogue as our sports ministers who talk shite about buliding things and then blame somebody else when they don't. It's as if he thinks we should anoint him when he decides to invest in sporting facilities in the country. The reality is this Government is the most pathetic example in the modern world of a developed country and its investment in sport. The lack of basic facilities is a National disgrace and to have to listen to his panderings and his 'lets shift the blame elsewhere' makes me want to throw up.

dublinfella

Quote from: Josey Whales on January 06, 2007, 03:31:33 PM
I think this debate has gone beyond pedantic at this stage and has probably strengthened the divide between the codes. As Sean Diffley points out in the indo today how - Seapoint rugby club- cabinteely soccer club and cabinteely boys gaa club all manage to use the same all-weather pitch and all use seapoint rugby clubs clubhouse for their meetings without any rancour.
Says everything in my view.
We have clowns like O Donogue as our sports ministers who talk shite about buliding things and then blame somebody else when they don't. It's as if he thinks we should anoint him when he decides to invest in sporting facilities in the country. The reality is this Government is the most pathetic example in the modern world of a developed country and its investment in sport. The lack of basic facilities is a National disgrace and to have to listen to his panderings and his 'lets shift the blame elsewhere' makes me want to throw up.

while the DCB fail to build a southside venue (despite having the land) and support a member club blocking a much needed development in another sport to try and force use of a stadium thats not big enough for the county and is too big for the club.....

glasshouses and all that.

I dont think anyone in Cabinteely resorted to the high court to force their way into the arrangement. anyway, a soccer and GAA club use different pitches in the same park and have meetings/socials in a nearby rugby club. very different to the Tallaght situation.

neilthemac

someone PLEASE shut this discussion down.

its going around in circles

we'll just let the courts decide!