Armagh v Westmeath

Started by Orior, April 03, 2007, 10:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritof98

Quote from: Take Your Points on April 09, 2007, 01:28:07 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 09, 2007, 12:01:15 PM
I honestly believe that Armagh will be a lot more formidable come the Summer - I'm convinced that the Cross pitch does not do Armagh any favours, as it is heavy, undulating, tight and bumpy. I would expect Armagh to improve a lot on the surfaces of Clones, Casement and (God willing) Croker.

Is the the Cross pitch not one of worst sufaces being used for county games?

It is a disgrace that as we are reaching the end of the current cycle of success for the Armagh county team, we do not have an adequate county ground to play on and there is no county setup for training and development work.  Tyrone have plans and the money for a multi-pitch centre with indoor taining facilities to be built in Omagh and even Derry have a centre of "excellence" with great facilities.  We have nothing to compete with Fermanagh and Brewster park and its floodlighting. Armagh are about to waste wads of money working on the Athletic Grounds!

Armagh have been about to spend money on the athletic grounds for near on 6 years now. Every year they realease a statment to say work will restart and the ground should be ready for the following years County final, yet it still hasn't been touched.

In regarding centres of excellence rumour has it that a deal has been struct with St. Pats Armagh about redeveloping their grounds for duel usage (TYP you might know more about this being in your profession).
I'll go back if Marsdens back

holylandsniper

Perfect Answer not be - Bulldozer then sell for property then buy elsewere and build top class facility? Though in fairness that would be using their brains.
QuoteArmagh have been about to spend money on the athletic grounds for near on 6 years now. Every year they realease a statment to say work will restart and the ground should be ready for the following years County final, yet it still hasn't been touched.
True, but maybe come 2008 this could happen as large funds will be freed up and made available.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: holylandsniper on April 09, 2007, 03:30:15 PM
Perfect Answer not be - Bulldozer then sell for property then buy elsewere and build top class facility? Though in fairness that would be using their brains.
QuoteArmagh have been about to spend money on the athletic grounds for near on 6 years now. Every year they realease a statment to say work will restart and the ground should be ready for the following years County final, yet it still hasn't been touched.
True, but maybe come 2008 this could happen as large funds will be freed up and made available.

I know it's frustrating lads, but our people behind the redevelopment are just as keen as any of us to see the Athletic Grounds up and running. I have had it on good authority that the powers that be are constantly putting new hurdles in front of the release of the necessary loot - to the extent that there  are people on our side ready to rip their hair out in frustration.

I used to agree myself about relocating the County ground to a green field site on the edge of the City - but what's the point if we intend building a 25-30k that will never get used. The site of the Athletic Grounds will allow for an 18k redevelopment - more than meets our Club Championship/NFL needs, and our home ground for the Summer is only forty minutes up the road!

Uladh

Is it forty minutes to he maze from armagh?

Donagh

Spot on analysis as usual Uladh though I still think McGeeney's distribution from HB is second to none. Diarmaid is shaping up nicely and I reckon come championship we'll be a formidable outfit though the Donegal match is probably a few weeks too early given their current form – in saying that, next to Wexford, Donegal they are probably the greatest pretenders and could collapse again against the Orangemen in the Clones sunshine.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Donagh on April 09, 2007, 06:40:14 PM
though I still think McGeeney's distribution from HB is second to none.

Donagh, I presume that doesn't include yesterday's performance.  I don't think I have ever seen give such bad ball yesterday.

Why, oh why, does every free in our own half have to be taken by Geezer?  At best it slows the play down.

I thought Loughran shaped OK in the number 14 spot, but he was totally lost when moved out after Lavery's injury.

Datsun Donaghy

QuoteI have had it on good authority that the powers that be are constantly putting new hurdles in front of the release of the necessary loot - to the extent that there  are people on our side ready to rip their hair out in frustration.
[/b][/b][/glow]

Nearly as bad as trying to get a passport in the off-season - young grey haired one!!!

continuity tug

division 2 is better for armagh that division 3 for next year
big wins against weaker counties like fermanagh and down and louth are good but dont get you ready for big games
also no point having a good surface at cross when the brits are still landing choppers on it

Sandy Hill

QuoteI thought his wing mirror mentality returned.

The problem is that it never went away! Just think of the options that this 6' 4'' skilled player could offer if he could only get over this problem; unfortunately those who suffer from it never get cured!
"Stercus accidit"

Croí na hÉireann

Disappointing result but encouraging in spots from a Westmeath perspective. Looked wide open at the back early on but after a couple of scares tightened up. In three of the four games we lost in 2B it was goals that killed us so we'll have to tighten up in that regard for the visit to Slasherland. JK looked to be back to his best in patches of the 2nd half and hopefully he continues to improve. Rest of the backs had a quiet, effective game.

Thought Shaugho was immense in the middle, some man for outmuscling (legally IMO). Not sure if Heals is the partner for him though, great workrate but not physical enough. If Flan can get the fitness levels up this is the position for him.

For the second game in a row Glennon played well in the half forwards. When he puts on the afterburners there's no catching him. Bannon was lucky to last as long as he did, didn't look like he wanted to be there at all. Dessie was everywhere, took some lovely points, class act. Budda showed well without really threatening. Connellan tried his heart out, reminds me of Stringer, needs to bulk up. Good to see Gary Dolan back, should be an option for half forward come next month. Willo put over a few frees but has still to rediscover his best form.

Average league campaign from the Lakers. Beat Laois, Derry and Down convincingly and were pipped to the post by Galway, Kildare and Armagh in tight finishes. Louth away was the only real disaster but it'll be a good reference point from what type of welcome we can expect on May 13th.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...