Division 2A turning into a mess

Started by Lone Shark, April 03, 2007, 01:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Martin Skelly, for those of ye not in the know, is the Longford Co Board Chairman.

He's fond of the odd 'rant'. Generally makes things worse though  :-\

Shrewdness

Now i'm going to confuse it even more. My understanding is that play offs will only be required if a team finishes level on points with Longford or Offaly, but if a team finishes level with Leitrim or Roscommon, then points difference will come into play!!!

Billys Boots

If Skelly's involved, then precedent will mean that Longford are f*cked.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Lone Shark

Quote from: Shrewdness on April 04, 2007, 01:47:25 PM
Now i'm going to confuse it even more. My understanding is that play offs will only be required if a team finishes level on points with Longford or Offaly, but if a team finishes level with Leitrim or Roscommon, then points difference will come into play!!!

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Longford, even without any points difference from this game, have a better points difference than any other team, unless Leitrim run up an absolutely savage score against London this weekend. So even though they could only have been better off, they still could end up playing off with a team with a worse difference? That makes no sense.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Lone SharkThat makes no sense.

Yes. And?

This is the world of the Gee-Ay-Ay comm-itt-ee we're dealing with. Nothing ever makes any sense.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

fearglasmor

This is a strange one. There is some logic to Longford's original muttering of eliminating the scores from the game with Offaly. If the the result was declared null and void then surely the scoreline must also. But for both teams not just Offaly. In any event since the game was a draw. eliminating the scores would have nil effect on the pts difference standings.

It's hard to see any reason for calling for playoffs unless someone has murmured "appeal" in the event of losing out on something on a points difference to Longford or Offaly. 

We can thank the ones west of Meath for this appeal paranoia that has taken hold in the GAA.   :)

Shamrock Shore

QuoteWe can thank the ones west of Meath for this appeal paranoia that has taken hold in the GAA

I FECKIN knew Westmeath HAD to be implicated here. Bastards  ;)

LaurelEye

On an unrelated issue, Shamrock, may I commend your excellent taste in your choice of new avatar  ;D
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

shotstopper1

Football League Division 2A
Team               P  W  D  L    F       A      +/-    Pts
1 Monaghan       6   6   0  0  4-90   5-48    39    12
2 Roscommon    6   4   0  2  6-71   6-58    13     8
3 Longford         6   2   1  3  13-70 3-76    24     6
4 Offaly             6  3   1  2   6-81  6-59    22     6
5 Leitrim            5  3    0 2   6-54  3-57     6      6
6 Clare              6  3    0 3   6-68  6-67     1      6
7 Carlow            6  1   0  5   5-58 10-81   -38    2
8 London           5  0   0  5   4-37 11-83   -67     0

Remaining Fixtures
April 8
London v Leitrim

April 15
Londain v Ceatharlach
Longfort v An Clár
Liatroim v Muineachán
Uíbh Fhailí v Ros Comáin

If we can assume
1)that Leitrim beat London by say less than 20 points, and in turn they lose their last match to Monaghan, they will have 8 pts but less of a scoring difference to Longford or Offaly.
2)that Longford and Offaly win their last games
3) Offaly win their game by 3 more points than Longford win theirs

Then your left with a scenario where Offaly would advance to Div 2 at Longfords expense,even though Offaly were deemed to have lost their game with Longford,but Longford didn't gain scoring wise.
Would it be in order then for Offaly & Longford to play off for Div 2?

Ah sure,maybe I'm just making things more confusing.

Although as a Cavan man will be hoping that both Roscommon and Monaghan win their final games and then we will eventually get our day out in Croker on 21st.

Model Hammer

Call me an old cynic, but ask yourself of the 4 teams in contention, which do you think would be Monaghan's preferred opponent and potential relegation rival in Div 2 next season ....????

Of course this assumes that Monaghan consider themselves potential relegation candidates next season, which they probably don't ...

shotstopper1

Quote from: Model Hammer on April 05, 2007, 03:31:24 PM
Call me an old cynic, but ask yourself of the 4 teams in contention, which do you think would be Monaghan's preferred opponent and potential relegation rival in Div 2 next season ....????

Of course this assumes that Monaghan consider themselves potential relegation candidates next season, which they probably don't ...

Not that you may be sugesting anything ,but if Leitrim and Roscommon win their remaining games, then they would  have to play off against each other for second spot (as scoring differences won't count).

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: shotstopper1 on April 05, 2007, 04:02:54 PM
Quote from: Model Hammer on April 05, 2007, 03:31:24 PM

Not that you may be sugesting anything ,but if Leitrim and Roscommon win their remaining games, then they would  have to play off against each other for second spot (as scoring differences won't count).

If Leitrim and Roscommon are level, scoring difference will count. There will only be play-offs if Offaly and/or Longford are involved

Wispa

Why only if Longford and/or Offaly are involved? Since they're game ended in a draw then it affects neither's scoring difference nor has no impact on any of the other teams. ???

LaurelEye

Quote from: WispaWhy only if Longford and/or Offaly are involved? Since they're game ended in a draw then it affects neither's scoring difference nor has no impact on any of the other teams. ???

You're making the fundamental mistake there of thinking logically...