Anglo Celt Sports Editor has Meltdown

Started by tommysmith, February 14, 2013, 11:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Its just an opinion piece in a paper lads, no need to over react. Look at some forums like hoganstand and you'll see there are plenty of loons and I'm guessing it those type that he's having a dig at.

Eamonnca1

It's a bit like writing a newspaper article bitching about what you heard two people saying at the water cooler. That's how I see forums like this anyway, nothing more than an informal gathering place where people can shoot the shit and be as obnoxious or constructive as they like.  Just because the format is in writing, rather than a verbal conversation that vanishes into thin air when it's done, doesn't mean we're supposed to live up to his lofty standards of journalistic integrity.

I will say though that the standard of discussion here is a bit higher than I've seen in other places.  Hogan Stand for example, gawd I used to see some awful rubbish posted there when there was no registration required!  The conspiracy theories and the rumour mill were a sight to behold.

stibhan

The fact is that the internet has given a whole new audience to Gaelic games and allowed Irish (or otherwise nationalitied) people to stay in touch with grassroots opinions on message boards and forums, all in an age in which plenty have been forced to travel far from County Board Meetings and League fixtures in the pissing rain. All the parochial county gossip is left intact on hoganstand and GAAboard and the analysis ranges from the kind of flippant remarks you'd hear at games to the shrewd amateur tactical analysis of hardened and wizened observers.

The only reason these journalists are getting pissed off is because of how credible a threat the web is to their own platforms.