2019 U20 Football Development League

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, January 25, 2019, 12:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrimtain

Great win for Laois tonight, but Kildare were, for All Ireland champions, surprisingly very poor. it looked dodgy at half time, when we were a point down, but we were much the better team in the second half. We were on top all over the field during the second half with Byron, Lacey, Slevin, Brophy, Doran, Coffey and Whelan impressive for Laois.

A good win, as I said, but I wouldn't get carried away. Now, if we had Saunders, O'Flynn and Barry available, it might be a different story.

Don Draper

Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2019, 02:48:20 PM
Quote from: GAA-SMART on June 25, 2019, 02:45:59 PM
Still a strange interview to give regardless.

See, even you boys are second guessing it. Kildare will be all over the shop reading it.
A masterplan from Billy.

High Fielder

Kildare weren't let play. Those backs didn't give them a sniff. I think this is a good bunch. Lacey at full back gave a proper full backs display and it's refreshing looking at lads play in positions they are comfortable in and know. Tyrell is a serious footballer. I'd be all over him if I were Sugrue. It was just a good team display all round full of hunger and work rate. The ball in to Dan wasn't working and no offence to him, but it's not for me. He needs to be so much more aggressive and use that size advantage. We were narrow and no threat floating balls in on top of him. In fairness to him, he contributed more when we were stretching them, but my gut feeling is we'll be even better with Owens starting and moving quicker. The better team won tonight and the score line flattered them. We bullied them in the second half and you rarely do that in Newbridge.

Joeythelips

The great thing about the current senior manager is these lads will know if they put in the work they will get their chance in the senior set up.

redsetanta

Whelan is some player! 10 points in total with 6 from play. Some boy.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laoiseabu

Just give us the f**king all Ireland now

Countyminor

This is without question our best result at any grade in the past 10 years or so in my eyes. To get one over those f**kers after years of absolute misery and torment at underage and senior against them is so, so positive for Laois football. I think a lot of the good that's happening in our county at the moment is because we're starting to wake up. Standards were let slide for far too long. We have signs of green shoots at underage. Today and to a lesser extent our minors show we can compete with the best Leinster has to offer. We've always had damn good players in this county and we always will have, but we can't afford to get complacent again. For too long our underage structures failed whatever talent was at their disposal. The signs are we're finally heading in the right direction.

The Boy Wonder

Listened to the game on kfmradio.com - didn't sound good when Kildare went 0-3 to 0-0 in front and later 0-8 to 0-4.
Heart-warming performance from Laois in 2nd half - well done lads.

Fair play to Billy O'Loughlin who had his critics after his appointment last year.
I'm reading that next week's game against Westmeath is a Leinster quarter-final so it's early days yet.

Unlaoised

LAOIS ABÚ

The PRO

Quote from: Tony on June 25, 2019, 10:17:16 PM
Serious performance and looking good for the future with that showing. Thought Kildare would win it, they looked the better side in first half. Second half was mostly us. 5 - 7 lads on our team look like serious senior contenders in next few years.
The quality was high alright but I'd offer the opinion that it was a weak Kildare group. I hope we don't take our eye off the ball now against Westmeath.
I think Byron, S Lacey, Whelan, both Dunnes and Coffey all have a fair chance of joining Kinsella and Tyrell who are already on the senior squad not forgetting O'flynn and Barry.

SCFC

If, God forbid, Laois seniors lose to Offaly next Saturday night, O'Flynn and Barry are available for the Westmeath game.
I hope they're not! 🙂

High Fielder

Quote from: The PRO on June 26, 2019, 09:56:53 AM
Serious performance and looking good for the future with that showing. Thought Kildare would win it, they looked the better side in first half. Second half was mostly us. 5 - 7 lads on our team look like serious senior contenders in next few years.
The quality was high alright but I'd offer the opinion that it was a weak Kildare group. I hope we don't take our eye off the ball now against Westmeath.
I think Byron, S Lacey, Whelan, both Dunnes and Coffey all have a fair chance of joining Kinsella and Tyrell who are already on the senior squad not forgetting O'flynn and Barry.

I don't agree that Kildare were weak. I think on this occasion, we were strong. I stood next to a few Kildare lads who were very impressed by their forward movement in the first half. By the end, they were saying they were a poor bunch. It was as if we had no influence on that. Except we did. For once, we properly put them back in their box. They've done it to us for years and they've forgotten how to suck it up

Chrimtain

Quote from: The PRO on June 26, 2019, 09:56:53 AM

What about Doran, the centre forward? I thought he looked good too.

For several years, the plight of Laois football was a concern, but, with the manner in which John Sugrue has introduced young players during his tenure, combined with the good players we witnessed last night, maybe the future of Laois football is not too bad at all. Added to that, the minors put up a creditable performance againts Kildare last friday night.

Things rarely work out the way you hope, but, the idea of having Evan O'Carroll, Colm Murphy, Mark Barry, Diarmuid Whelan, Ronan Coffey and a fit Donie Kingston in the one forward line in the future, is an exciting one. That's not to mention Benny Carroll, Danny O'Reilly and Marty Scully.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: on the hop on June 25, 2019, 10:11:36 PM
Solid keeper in Byron, good strong full back and the two corner men were sharp. Would love Saunders and o Flynn in that half back line but alas not be be. Kildare centre forward was very good. Midfield did well, like most of the team tired a bit. Nice mix in the forwards, Coffey might not be the fastest but good brain, Doran not afraid to take shots and Dunne does a lot of running. Whelan was the Star man, bit disappointed with kinsella as he training with the seniors and big dan just couldn't get into the game.
Obviously I'm a bit biased but I thought Alan Kinsella played very well. Got on an amount of ball and hardly wasted one.
Mohan was very good at corner back. Hadn't seen much of him before. And Lacey beside him was superb.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

Hospital Pass

Very good Laois support at the game last Tuesday.
Impressed with 1 or 2 in particular. Whelan obviously, 10 points and ran himself ragged. an obvious one to make the step up next year. great potential.
Tyrrell won an amount of primary possession and Laois looked to have the homework done on the Kildare kick outs which was great to see.
Mohan was excellent, Lacey deserves huge credit given the fact that he isn't a natural fullback.
Big Dan, Slevin and Dunne have scope for improvement I think.
Owens from Emo is probably unlucky not to start but its a very competitive forward line.
A great win but I wouldn't be getting carried away. its still only a prelim round game.
SCFC thats a strange rule if they are allowed play when the seniors are out. Crazy rule in my opinion anyway. the Hurling doesn't have the rule at all.