Dublin U21's Withdraw from Club Championship

Started by screenexile, April 20, 2017, 12:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Astounding!!!

Many people have said this type of thing would never happen but this is just the start!! Really can't believe lads are withdrawing from their club for a match a week away. Crazy crazy situation!!

http://www.the42.ie/dublin-u21-football-2-3348651-Apr2017/

Esmarelda

The other side of it is that it's an All-Ireland final and maybe the club games should have been put off for a fortnight.

I don't find it astounding at all.

Maroon Manc

The majority of those players will probably never play in an All Ireland Final again, I don't find it unusual at all they don't want to play championship between now and the final which is only 10 days away.

The Trap

Esmarelda and Maroon Manc typify all that is wrong with the GAA - put the elite on a pedestal and feck the rest!

Syferus

Correct choice in another ridiculous situation poor scheduling has forced on players.

More players need to vote with their feet and maybe the officials will cop on and realise the schedule needs serious work rather than simply paying lip service to the idea. Clubs are just like county teams in that all they really want is their pound of flesh. Player welfare comes last in all but a few clubs and indeed county teams.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on April 20, 2017, 01:44:07 PM
Correct choice in another ridiculous situation poor scheduling has forced on players.

More players need to vote with their feet and maybe the officials will cop on and realise the schedule needs serious work rather than simply paying lip service to the idea. Clubs are just like county teams in that all they really want is their pound of flesh. Player welfare comes last in all but a few clubs and indeed county teams.

Clubs want their pound of flesh? How about clubs just want to play their f**king games? Pound of flesh my arse. Clubs hardly see county players for training from one end of the year to the other, and they get them for games whenever it doesn't impact on the county team. I have sympathy for these players, it's a terrible position they are in, but blaming the clubs for wanting their pound of flesh is just hyperbole and completely at odds with reality.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 20, 2017, 01:53:40 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 20, 2017, 01:44:07 PM

Clubs want their pound of flesh? How about clubs just want to play their f**king games? Pound of flesh my arse. Clubs hardly see county players for training from one end of the year to the other, and they get them for games whenever it doesn't impact on the county team. I have sympathy for these players, it's a terrible position they are in, but blaming the clubs for wanting their pound of flesh is just hyperbole and completely at odds with reality.

I see county lads playing U21 championship on a Saturday and being 'asked' to line out for the club in a league match the next day regularly. Same happens at minor county for minor league games the next day too. It would be comical if it wasn't so stone age when it comes to player saftey.

Fuzzman

All players strive to become the best they can and play in All Ireland finals surely. Coming from a club with two players who played in many AI finals, you are very proud of them and want them to reach the pinnacle.

Are some people saying they should risk that final step by playing a club game which can be rescheduled?
We all say we need to put the players needs first and to me it is a no brainer that players get a week off before the biggest game of their life.

AZOffaly

You regularly see County U21 Championship players being asked to play league matches the next day? Regularly? Do you mean regularly, or frequently. Because it can't really be frequently because they don't have that many championship games.

Or do you mean club u21 championship and club senior league games? That's hardly the club looking for a pound of flesh, that's a club looking to field a team.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Fuzzman on April 20, 2017, 02:06:43 PM
All players strive to become the best they can and play in All Ireland finals surely. Coming from a club with two players who played in many AI finals, you are very proud of them and want them to reach the pinnacle.

Are some people saying they should risk that final step by playing a club game which can be rescheduled?
We all say we need to put the players needs first and to me it is a no brainer that players get a week off before the biggest game of their life.

I'm sure the clubs would prefer to postpone their game. Dublin championship is straight knockout, so it should be possible, even for a midweek fixture the week after.

This is a county board fixture issue, not a club issue.

screenexile

Quote from: Thastheball on April 20, 2017, 01:52:09 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 20, 2017, 12:20:03 PM
Astounding!!!

Many people have said this type of thing would never happen but this is just the start!! Really can't believe lads are withdrawing from their club for a match a week away. Crazy crazy situation!!

http://www.the42.ie/dublin-u21-football-2-3348651-Apr2017/

You can't believe it, like, seriously, you can't?

I really can't and maybe that's why Derry are where we are because I know that very few if any Derry players would not play for their Club if forced to make a choice.

10 days is 10 days. The World Cup/Rugby World Cup all kinds of sports will play games within a 7 day period I don't see why they can't play both and shouldn't be allowed to. Sure they could get injured but equally they could get injured playing a game in training. It's a bullshit situation being handled very poorly!

Maroon Manc

Its also poor scheduling from the Dublin County board, Dublin don't play again until the first weekend in June. Surely they could have foreseen their u21's getting to the final given how dominant they've been in recent years?

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 20, 2017, 02:08:43 PM
You regularly see County U21 Championship players being asked to play league matches the next day? Regularly? Do you mean regularly, or frequently. Because it can't really be frequently because they don't have that many championship games.

Or do you mean club u21 championship and club senior league games? That's hardly the club looking for a pound of flesh, that's a club looking to field a team.

All of the above.

If a club is relying on two or three minors or u21s to field a senior club side the jig is already up and they should be looking to amalgamate, not risk running young lads into the ground for relatively meaningless games.

rosnarun

the time is surely near whenr county players will not play for their clubs while on the county panel except with special permission as they are not getting on the matchday squad .
upside
if that were to happen clubs could then contentedly go about their own business.
downside
in counties with weak teams players may not be willing to join the county panel causing the county to fall further behind.

which would you prefer to take a hammering at county and get abuse and be the butt of jokes or play in a county championship you think you might win ?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

Well you can't mean County players because a) they don't have many u21 championship matches, and b) u21 championships are nearly all midweek.

And if you are seriously suggesting that clubs need to fold up tents if they need u21s to field teams, then you are absolutely raving. I'd say 80% of the clubs in Ireland use u21s to play on their adult teams.