PuC and the Liam Miller Fundraiser

Started by Baile Brigín 2, July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

As you may or may not be aware as a charity fundraiser a Man U XI plays a Celtic/Ireland XI, usual celebrity infux, to raise funds for charity and the family of Liam Miller.

The organisers asked could they use Pairc Ui Caoimh and were turned down. Game is in Turners Cross and will generate a lot less. Similar story happened in Omagh when the GAA refused to allow a game to raise money for the families.

So what do we think? The rules are the rules? Or with the €30m the taxpayer put into the venue should common sense applied and a gesture made? Especially as its a fundraiser. The PR isnt great.

Discuss

mup

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM
As you may or may not be aware as a charity fundraiser a Man U XI plays a Celtic/Ireland XI, usual celebrity infux, to raise funds for charity and the family of Liam Miller.

The organisers asked could they use Pairc Ui Caoimh and were turned down. Game is in Turners Cross and will generate a lot less. Similar story happened in Omagh when the GAA refused to allow a game to raise money for the families.

So what do we think? The rules are the rules? Or with the €30m the taxpayer put into the venue should common sense applied and a gesture made? Especially as its a fundraiser. The PR isnt great.

Discuss

When will the GAA come in to the 21st century? We have Ed Sheerin, American Football games etc allowed on our GAA PItche,s but when it comes to the 'foreign sport' it is completely frowned upon. The quicker the comb-overs within the organisation move on and let the more liberal brigade in the better.

Jayop

Should they have allowed this? Of course. Could they without passing a motion at congress? Probably not.

The fact that this is nothing more than a charity game could perhaps have gotten around the rules but wasn't there even a thing in Longford where they allowed facilities be used for a kids summer camp for soccer and got punished by HQ??

That article in the rules needs to go especially f the American Football is somehow being allowed.

Boycey

Usual GAA bashing without even a checking of the facts and I do wonder about the original poster.. again!

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Boycey on July 18, 2018, 04:03:31 PM
Usually GAA bashing without even a checking of the facts and I do wonder about the original poster.. again!

What facts are wrong? Its in the papers.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/soccer/roy-keane-in-town-to-annnouce-ticket-details-for-liam-miller-tribute-match-856056.html

Wonder how?

Jayop

Quote from: Boycey on July 18, 2018, 04:03:31 PM
Usually GAA bashing without even a checking of the facts and I do wonder about the original poster.. again!

I'll admit I never checked the OP for truth but I don't think I bashed too much either.

Rossfan

Soccer people doing a charity soccer thing in memory of a soccer player  in a soccer pitch.
Fair play to them.
Nothing to do with the GAA.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2018, 04:09:39 PM
Soccer people doing a charity soccer thing in memory of a soccer player  in a soccer pitch.
Fair play to them.
So the GAA were right to not rent them the hall? Not very community spirited of you.

Syferus

Fair play to them.

God, you are a joke.

And those hiding behind 'rule changes' as if this problem hasn't been flagged for years are equally a joke. You can't pretend it's an unforeseen situation and you're simply beholdent to some other organisation with no responsibility for that decision. If there was a will at the top this wouldn't even be a question.

People like the Cork County Board (aka Frank 'Job for Life' Murphy) just don't give enough of a shît to do something.

trailer

The organisers confirmed that an approach was made with a view to hosting the match at Pairc Ui Chaoimh, but that this would require a rule change at GAA congress which won't be held until next spring.

Mr O'Flynn stressed, however, that Cork County Board were very receptive to their approaches and offered Pairc Ui Chaoimh's conferencing facilities free of charge.

Think the CCB did all they could in fairness. Nothing to see here.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on July 18, 2018, 04:29:17 PM
The organisers confirmed that an approach was made with a view to hosting the match at Pairc Ui Chaoimh, but that this would require a rule change at GAA congress which won't be held until next spring.

Mr O'Flynn stressed, however, that Cork County Board were very receptive to their approaches and offered Pairc Ui Chaoimh's conferencing facilities free of charge.

Nothing to see here? You sure?

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Syferus on July 18, 2018, 04:19:35 PM
Fair play to them.

God, you are a joke.

And those hiding behind 'rule changes' as if this problem hasn't been flagged for years are equally a joke. You can't pretend it's an unforeseen situation and you're simply beholdent to some other organisation with no responsibility for that decision. If there was a will at the top this wouldn't even be a question.

People like the Cork County Board (aka Frank 'Job for Life' Murphy) just don't give enough of a shît to do something.

Plus, isn't it a fundraiser for Liam Miller's family? Not much goodwill or compassion to be seen here.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

dublin7

You can't use the pitch, but you can use our office and we won't even charge you!!! If that's not an insult to the family I don't know what is.

The sad thing is if cork co. board had shown any common sense, empathy or simple decency they could have allowed it, but unfortunately somone somewhere would complain about the rules and regulations and the game would have had to have been called off.

Cork co board clearly still have serious power. Only explanation for ridiculous decision to play wexford v clare qtr final in PuC last week.

mup

Quote from: dublin7 on July 18, 2018, 10:26:41 PM

You can't use the pitch, but you can use our office and we won't even charge you!!! If that's not an insult to the family I don't know what is.

The sad thing is if cork co. board had shown any common sense, empathy or simple decency they could have allowed it, but unfortunately somone somewhere would complain about the rules and regulations and the game would have had to have been called off.

Cork co board clearly still have serious power. Only explanation for ridiculous decision to play wexford v clare qtr final in PuC last week.

It was all going so well until your last paragraph. Which county board wields the power to play matches in Croke Park?

Itchy

I was not in favour of allowing rugby into Croke park as in my opinion that was the GAA promoting a rival. However this is a purely charitable event that would raise money for this mans family left behind after his untimely death. If they have something else on in the stadium that day fair enough but if the are citing rules about non GAA sports then that is pathetic. Even for Cork county board its poor form.