Cavan's John Wilson RIP

Started by Kerry Mike, July 09, 2007, 07:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

Double All Ireland medal winner with Cavan in 1947 & 1948 and former TD, Minster and Taniste John Wilson passed away today.
A great footballer in his time and one of the great Cavan Team of 1947 beating Kerry in the famed final in the Polo Grounds in New York.  A proud Cavan Gael. May he rest in Peace.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=80160
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

anglocelt39

another of Cavan's giants departs this life. I can honestly say that I am way too young to ever have seen the man play however he was a regular visitor to my home when I was  a gauson and his playing days were well over. The thing that always struck me was his sheer presence and force of personality. The legendary half back line of the 47 final in the polo grounds is reunited at long last-Wilson, Duke and John Joe.

Sincerest sympathies to all his family and many friends, in this case it's fair to say we won't see his likes again.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

Fishead_Sam

RIP Cavan's John Wilson

1948 All-Ireland Final
Cavan 4-5
Mayo 4-4

cavanmaniac

Quote from: anglocelt39 on July 09, 2007, 09:54:51 PM
another of Cavan's giants departs this life. I can honestly say that I am way too young to ever have seen the man play however he was a regular visitor to my home when I was  a gauson and his playing days were well over.

Sleep well Johnny. He would hardly have thought he'd live 55 summers after 1952 and never see Cavan in an All-Ireland final again. A small point in the overall scheme of things however. A regular visitor to our house when I was a nipper as well, always a welcome one too and never refused the mug of tae either.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam dilís.

navaniarmhi

So long to the Judge Wilson...a great latin scholar.

mylestheslasher

My sympathies to family of John Wilson. It seems every year we bury another of our footballing legends...

magpie seanie

thebandit

Always done his best for the region as a TD - will be sadly missed

Blue06

RIP Johnny and sympathies to his family.  Johnny presented my first (there were few) football medal to me way back in the early 80s.

lynchbhoy