Down v Meath official thread

Started by bcarrier, June 24, 2007, 06:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

It's a good draw for Down I reckon.

There's plenty of parallels can be drawn between Meath and Down. Both sides have struggled badly with the concept of the backdoor, and neither manager would have the willingness to enter into defensive strategies, either one or one, or using the 'blanket', in order to ensure passage through at all costs. Neither team is that big - even if Meath are a tad bigger in central areas, and neither team is that mobile. As a result, neither is overly physical by modern county standards - and due to this, it could be entertaining throwback of an encounter.

Down haven't yet replaced Greg Blaney, but Meath are catching up in those stakes, as they've been a long time looking for someone to fill Trevor Giles's shoes. It's never a good sign of a county's health when a full-back is playing centre three-quarters. It really isn't.

Personally I don't think there's a whole lot, if anything, between the teams in terms of personnel. I have to say I've been mightily impressed with Stephen Bray, and he would concern me much more than Geraghty. In many ways the veteran reminds me now of Alan Shearer in his last few seasons at Newcastle. Yep, he's committed. Yep, he's powerful. Yep, he's reasonably effective. Yep, he's a good man to have around if a fight breaks out. But, no matter what way you add it up - and the media try their damndest - he's not in the top bracket of forwards anymore. Bray, on the other hand, is one of those intelligent, skilful forwards that Down defenders have struggled so badly with in recent years.

Anthony Moyles is another Meath man who I'd have a whole lot of time for. He's solid in defence and absolutely superb at setting attacks in motion - which he sort of has to be, as Meath really don't have anyone else capable of filling this role.

Those two aside though, I wouldn't be overly concerned. Joe Sheridan has the potential to destroy to a team, but winter football seems to suit him better. Darren Fay is one of my favourite players ever, but these days wouldn't last 10 minutes on Coulter if the Mayobridge man got the supply. Ward and Crawford are tall, but offer little else at midfield.

I know full well that a Meath man could easily offer a similar critique on Down at present. They could have a good look at the likely Down team and see no obvious danger, the currently misfiring Coulter aside. They would no doubt see a Down team that lacks height and lacks power.

But this Down team could be dangerous. It scored 1.13 last day, even though all three full-forwards could have been substituted, so little was their contribution.

And finally, home advantage is going to count for a lot. For a number of Meath players, it'll be their first time in Newry. For a few more, it'll be their first ever Championship outing in the North. For everyone following them, it's the qualifiers, and that inevitably ends in tears. Most of all though, for every Meath man, woman and child, playing or watching, Pairc Esler is going to be a hell of a comedown after back-to-back derbies in front of full houses in Croke Park.

amallon

7pm throw in.  A little bit of a pain for the Meath supporters, it will be near midnight before they make it home.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Leo

Coulter not on song - how could he be - you wont hear a singer if he is drowned out by his own choir. This busibness of Down bunching 2 or 3 players on the edge of the square is a defender's dream. When will we learn simple basic tactics to get the best out of our best player.
And if Kilcoo can canter away with the league in Down how come we cant find a single mountainy defender from there for a panel which is totally at sea ?
Fierce tame altogether

greygoose

Has the match been confirmed as a 7.00 pm throw in on Sat Week ?????

turk

Down and Meath contributors down the years were second to none at selecting which starting XVs they'd like to see. I expect nothing less in this thread!!!

greygoose

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 25, 2007, 04:02:28 PM
Quote from: Leo on June 25, 2007, 03:00:12 PM
Coulter not on song - how could he be - you wont hear a singer if he is drowned out by his own choir.

I think Coulter has to be brought out around the half forward line to supply some decent ball into the full forward line.

Anyone any thoughts on a starting XV ?

Somebody has to make a start

1. M McVeigh

2. M Cole
3. B Grant
4. D McCartan

5. R Murtagh
6. D Rooney
7. P Murphy

8. J Lynch
9. D Gordan

10. A Carr
11. B Coulter
12. R Sexton

13. D Hughes
14. P Downey
15. P McComiskey

This is whats in my head @ the moment but come match day i will probably of changed my mind..... We need to remember that for Ross & DJ to build a team it is going to take a year or so, but in defense is where we are in short supply, up front we seem to have an abundance of talent that just need to find a bit of confidence, ( i.e. be able to take shots outside the 21 )

I'm sure the Ballyholland posters will argue my selection about Murph but even though he has played well @ midfield i think he has to be a better option @ wing half back....

If we are to beat Meath we need more out of Benny and defo more aggression and ability to man mark in defence....

armaghniac

QuoteFor a few more, it'll be their first ever Championship outing in the North.

Did Meath not kick the bejaysus out of Antrim in Casement in the qualifiers a year to two ago?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Leo

Time for a shake-up
Team for Meath:
McVeigh, Cole, Scullion,Toner; Murtagh, Kearney, Rafferty; Murphy, Gordon; Walsh, Clarke, Coulter; Hughes, McGovern, McCumiskey.
Fierce tame altogether

lisdoon1

1. Connall
2. Cole
3. Grant
4. McCartan
5. Rooney
6. Murphy
7. Murtagh
8. Lynch
9 Gordan
10. Kearney
11. Coulter
12. Carr
13. Hughes
14. Downey
15. McCuimskey (for sure)

Caitlin

Is Liam Doyle anywhere near fit ? Ambrose ?Rafferty ?
Assuming they are :
1.Mc Veigh
2.Cole
3.Grant
4.Rafferty
5.Rooney
6.Doyle
7.Murtagh
8.Gordon
9.Rodgers
10.Kearney
11.Carr
12.Sexton
13.Hughes
14.Downey
15.Coulter
Murphy /Mc Comiskey/Walsh all to come on
Mc Cartan/Mc Govern if we're stuck
I think we can beat them-need a passionate support as they will bring a large, mouthy crowd.

lisdoon1

5 times,

Worth giving Connall a run out? Agree Mickey is a beter keeper with wealth of experience. But I, personally speaking (before cloc mhor jumps in with his fine words of wisdon ::)) would like to have connall going into the 1st round next year not being a newbie to championship football.

Danny has blown hot & cold this year as have a few others. A descent footballer but the rub of the green just hasnt fallen for him, as with Downey & benney to be fair in recent games. All 3 due a good game & lets remain positive that at least 1 in 3 will come good against meath!!

Murph as a half back would be interesting to see & drop grant into the full back line, last day out the defence just didnt gel,

We are on a team building exercise here so lets experiment & look forward to 3 or 4 years down the line.

lisdoon1

caitlin,

unfortunatly the 3 some you mention will not be fit.

I think we would have done well enough in this years championship had they benn in better shape,

Id like to see scullion get a run out from the subs bench on sunday, another man we missed this year!

Stranworst

Think its time to through McComiskey on. Might be our last chance in the championship this year so f**k it.

Would be good to see how he goes from the start, plus I'm sick of all this talk about Hanratty lately being the great young hope!!

Where was he yesterday? Still in Newry?

lisdoon1

5 times, yeah its looking like it. Would love to see doyler back in action tho.

Agree not a challenge, experience will come in NFL 08 & you make your own luck at tiimes so you could be right, time for a few changes.

amallon

Down were supposed to play Antrim in Newry on sunday but Antrim never showed up. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.